SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  B.O.N.O.S.A.  »  NOT Skate Related: Ebay does it again
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

NOT Skate Related: Ebay does it again

rwaelde
Posted: Mon May 30, 2005 5:53 am Reply with quote
I just wanted to say that it makes me ill, too have to pay some of the ridiculous prices on ebay. As any one on here who is into older cars know, that the last pieces for a project are the worst to get. The reason they are last and worst, is because they usually are the most expensive and least valuable part possible. Here is a link to the auction I just won earlier.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBa...p;ssPageName=WDVW

$1025.00 for 6 pieces of bumper rubber weighing in at a whopping 8 pounds. I bet that they didn't cost a dollar to produce them originally. I wish they weren't so damn hard to find. I have been looking for an alternative route to the high priced aftermarket catalouges, they don't even make all of the parts , and they add up to $1600. Anyway, I am sure that in the long run, If I were to try to sell it, I wold probably only loose $2K or $3K.
Smakutus
Posted: Mon May 30, 2005 11:00 am Reply with quote
Joined: 10 Dec 2001 Posts: 2932 Location: Meechigan.. Collect and Destroy!
rwaelde wrote:
I just wanted to say that it makes me ill, too have to pay some of the ridiculous prices on ebay.

What are you talking about? You got a deal.. You say yourself that if you had bought them outt of the catalogs you'd pay more and not get all the parts you just bought.

This isn't a Ebay problem anyways. This is a crazy bidder problem. If YOU hadn't bid on this auction the other guy would have got them for about $600.

Outt..
Jeff.

"what the heck you talking about i sent you the money weeks ago,and you still gaveme a negative feedback,and top it off never sent me the tape,its ebayers like you that screw people,Thanks for messing up my ratings jerk.."

A. Fuckingkissfan.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
rwaelde
Posted: Mon May 30, 2005 5:48 pm Reply with quote
That is the truth, but I am not a man of great means. and this is like the 4th largest purchase I have ever made. I hate the thought of letting go of that kind of scribb. I suppose that on the bright side , I could resell them if I decided I didn't need them. Ha!
Gusto
Posted: Mon May 30, 2005 5:59 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
i think that last bidder looks realllllly fishy.
rwaelde
Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:01 am Reply with quote
I thought that as well, but who is gonna shill the bid with that little time to go, and with that big of an amount? I feel pretty good knowing they threw down on one lump and with only 5 seconds to go I squeeked past them.
ghostcavalry
Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:27 am Reply with quote
eBay sucks.

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:43 pm Reply with quote
i agree with tina!
K-Beam
Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Don't you also just love how egay lets' you outbid yourself when you try to back up your bid, if you've only outbid the other guy by a smidge.

Bullshit cost you an extra $25!

Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:29 am Reply with quote
I feel your pain first hand, man.

I'm doin this shit all the time for a hobby and for cash. I got 3 kids (my '68 Charger, My girls '73 Scamp and my current project '72 Dodge D100 Adventurer SE resto.) that are surely money pits.

I have a fucking perfectly straight shell of a truck and $5,500 worth of parts (suspension, engine, transmission etc.) in boxes brand new or otherwise restored. $1,200 worth of Glasurit base/ clear paint and primer and I'm waiting on a meisily $150 crank balance job for the 360 to start putting it all together.

I just dumped $220 on replacement weatherstripping rubber for my cab.
I know it's going in the right direction, but it's been too long sitting around looking pretty in boxes and it needs to go together.

If you are afraid that something will go through the roof on eBay... do what I do if you can't get it as a BuyItNow item:

FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS EXACTLY!:

Wait until the last minute with your conformation mouse button on your trigger finger with your password, bid amount and everything else done. Refresh the page during the last 3 minutes until you get to 2 minutes and then watch the second hand on your clock at the last 2 minutes as you enter your password and high bid.

Ignore the other bidders that put their bids within the last 5-2 minutes... There will be more bids made. Don't let it shake you up. Just proceed watching the clock up until you have just 1 minute left. NOW you confirm your bid (closest to 30 seconds is the best. Don't lie to yourself on the value or else you will lose! Do your research!

Do not place any bids before this. All you do is cost yourself more money and make other bidders more devious and bid happy.

What this does:

-It keeps the price the lowest possible amount without you bidding it up.
-It keeps other bidders from freaking out on a high number of bids and not seeing their name on top.
-It keeps you from getting into bidding wars and underminding the value of your money (that little $ followed by a number is -$ in your wallet! Just remember that!)
-It gives anyone else interested a total of about 15 seconds to decide if they want to go further to get the winning bid, decide how much more $ they are willing to drop, decide if it's worth it to them, enter the bid amount and their password and allow time for the server to enter their bid... Simply put, they will not win if you dropped more $.

Why should you wait until the last second? Because by bidding sooner, it gives other bidders time to think, which can only lead to outbidding you. It does give you less time to think too. However, if you get a realistic idea from researching alike ended auctions, you should already know exactly what to expect to pay and use as your highest final bid.

If you said you can't get the rubber somewhere else for cheaper... try http://www.1aauto.com They have the best prices on weatherstripping I have found online and carry a lot of other things for cars like bumper guards and tail light leneses among other things. They also sell on eBay.

N.O.S. will look perfect on a restoration no matter what. Nissan/Datsun parts are far better than aftermarket for that car and you get what you pay for for the most part with NOS. You just have to decide if it's practical for what you are doing with your car. NOS is for rare weekend cars and show cars. Not partial daily drivers or a mild resto.

If it's any consultation to you, I can try to even up your budget on the lighter side and save you about $2G's or more on a base clear paint job if you live near the Denver area or are willing to transport the car.

I have acess to a $60,000 down draft climate controlled bake cycle booth and I use a $550 gun. I generally charge about 50% of most other shops for the same quality work or better because I have a low overhead.

Just let me know even if you have questions, I can probably answer any of them about restoration and cars in general.
Smakutus
Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:58 am Reply with quote
Joined: 10 Dec 2001 Posts: 2932 Location: Meechigan.. Collect and Destroy!
SkaterBonds wrote:
NOW you confirm your bid (closest to 30 seconds is the best.

30 seconds leaves too much time.. I don't bid until I see 10 seconds on the clock. By the time I open the other window and hit that button it leaves about 3 or 4 seconds.

Outt..
Jeff.

"what the heck you talking about i sent you the money weeks ago,and you still gaveme a negative feedback,and top it off never sent me the tape,its ebayers like you that screw people,Thanks for messing up my ratings jerk.."

A. Fuckingkissfan.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next