SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  SKATEBOARD ART  »  How & Where To Market My Work???
Page 3 of 3    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

How & Where To Market My Work???

ghostcavalry
Posted: Tue May 31, 2005 9:47 am Reply with quote
Thanks for thoughts, I feel like this is really helping!

I will keep ya'll posted, and get to work on some new projects now!

Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:14 am Reply with quote
I like the idea of making a print of the work that you apply on decks for multiple copys.

Here are some factors to consider:

Skateboard graphics are one of the many factors in a customers eye for deciding on a purchase.

Sometimes a deck model is remembered for it's graphics, but most people who skate have their preferences on the deck manufacturer for it's functionality.

Older skateboards among collectors are somewhat of an exception. The decks people collect are no longer functional for the most part because of their rarity. People remember the decks from their past from when they were functional on a larger scale and have sentimental value tied to the ones that they have memories of, so this drives the demand for those decks up.

The deck images always start out as a graphic form of art, but eventually become an icon for the memories that people have from their past.

If something is not enjoyed to begin with and moved into the attic as a collectable, nobody will ever collect it because nobody will remember it as being something that they enjoyed.

This is why there is a huge falsely inflated market for comic books and their collectability. The comic books that are actually worth anything are that way because people used to read them like the weekly world news.

People would buy their favorite comic books at news stands and throw them away once they were done reading it. It was just like reading a comic strip in a newspaper. That is why they are highly collectable. Because of what people remember and want to relive or keepsake.

You can market your art work. It's not as hard as you think it will be. You just have to decide if you are going to sell your art work as something that is functional or as a portrait to hang on the wall or both.

When I see a skateboard, I think of something that is functional in it's first and purist form where it's collectability and functionality as a piece of art are secondary and come later on in it's existance and I think a lot of other people see this as well.

I think if you start out with a good quality, reputable skateboard and lithograph your artwork on to the decks to sell as a usable skateboard, you will also have a wider number of customers. You might also try some different shapes and deck designs as skateboarders have their shape preferences as well.

There is a new skateboard company from around here in Denver. The owner of BC Surf and Sport started his own skateboard company. So far he has one deck design (it's actually an impressionist painting of the Denver skyline done in acrylics). I haven't skated his decks yet, but I'm sure that the quality is there considering that his skate shops are very reputable, I wouldn't expect anything less.

Check out his website: http://www.denverskateboards.com
You might also try some different designs along with your landscape and bird design (I think the tucan would look cool on an old school fish deck!... maybe with some tiki masks to boast.) to gain the attention of people with other graphic design preferences. The longboard idea is great.

Not saying you should go to "skulls and buff chicks" at all. Just know that you can come up with some realy cool different designs with the technique you are using.

Another thing that you should definately look in to that has a MUCH higher turn around for profit is surfboard shaping and graphic design.

A surfboard foam blank will run you about $30 on average and the fiberglass and resin will run about $40... with fins and everything, you end up with about $100 in each board. Shapers that can do custom graphics (most don't, they just shape) will get about $800-$1,500 per board depending on it's size and the artwork that goes into it. Most custom boards without graphics go for around $600.

I know that a lot of surfers would dig your style and you can make a killing if you learn shaping (which is surprisingly easy and relatively cheap to undertake)

If you're interested in puting some time in a surfboard and learning how to shape and essentially make a board from a foam blank, check this website out:

http://www.surfingvideos.com

There are also a lot of good shaping books out there.

The wider your range of graphic and deck designs are, the higher number of customers will have the same preferences as what you have to offer.

Page 3 of 3    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3