SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  MANUFACTURERS FORUM  »  good news for U.S. manufacturers!
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

good news for U.S. manufacturers!

skinny
Posted: Mon May 09, 2005 5:52 pm Reply with quote
It seems that there is some help on the horizon for U.S. skateboard manufacturers...from and unlikley source.
Soaring fuel costs (specificaly crude oil prices) are an issue for a "global" marketplace. While this most specifically effects areas of travel, shipping, and inferstructure, it will have larger effects on large distribution retail outfits like "Walmart". If costs of shipping are dramaticaly increased, operations who rely heavily on low cost shipping and distribution, will have signifigant loss of profit margins.
This relates to large over seas skateboard and apparel manufacturing in a big way....
If price projections in 2000-2002 were based on shipping costs of the time, and per piece prices were not adjusted for increased shipping costs, a big cost difference is about to take hold.
Basically the days of 2-6 dollar decks shipped here are (appearently) coming to an abrupt end.
I am an occasional Art Bell listener and on his show last night there was a lengthly disscussion about this topic, and on A.S.N. international news network I confirmed that crude oil prices have increased by $18.00 a barrel in China.

Simply put they left here paying 10.00 a deck....so that they could pay 5.00 and now they might just be paying 10.00 or MORE soon.
slob-air
Posted: Mon May 09, 2005 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
Whoop, there it is. The achilles heel presents itself.

Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 12:36 am Reply with quote
awesome, good info skinny.
Fedupskateboards
Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 1:23 am Reply with quote
You just made me a happier man...

Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 1:40 am Reply with quote
Joined: 17 May 2003 Posts: 1594 Location: Bombora's, California

TRUpah
Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 7:50 am Reply with quote
you know what would be funny if US manus cut all these fuckers off when they come crawling back...........

sorry fuckers no boards for you...
they will more than make up for it with more new small ops and medium sized ops which will now grow into large outfits....
....that is of course if skinny dosent shut everyone down
opinions?....
skinny
Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Hector you gotta let that go man....

O.k. here is my point, you guys might actually be correct, even if you are just kidding around. We are definately the future of this industry...even though Mexico is never going away. There will be a flood of returning business and at some point and the users of this forum might be in place to negotiate the going rate and terms.
This manufacturing arrangement (China) has been going on just long enough for large operations located in the U.S. to close shop and cancel local mill orders. When they look to local manufacturing to take over the large operations of the past will either make it work here....or more likely Mexico.
So now I must urge you guys again, if you have ever had an itch to manufacture your own product....even if its just your printed materials, there might never be a better time to build your infrastructure.
Good Luck!
oasis
Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 3:40 pm Reply with quote
The guys getting stuff from China will probably just shift to a manufatcturer in Mexico.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
TRUpah
Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 9:10 pm Reply with quote
my bad skinny wont happen again ....
thanks for the info .... as if i needed more motivation ............
ThrashCan
Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the motivation skinny.

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next