SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  MANUFACTURERS FORUM  »  Materials are getting more expensive...
Page 2 of 5    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Materials are getting more expensive...

MileHighSkates
Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 28 Apr 2004 Posts: 2708 Location: Boulder County, CO
skinny wrote:
I guess thats the problem here, if you were talking to me....
you don't know anything about what I produce.
1/3 of my decks are popcicle the rest are 9.0 with side cuts, and longer than normal wheel bases.
I guess it is hard to see from way up there...
I have pictures posted on my site for everyone to see.
Being educated about this kind of stuff is what owning a skateshop is all about. So tell me again how to do my job...

Huh...

My shop is strictly e-commerce, and with the exception of a few smaller companies' boards, only limited/collector boards move well. Those smaller companies produced something that was radically different than anything else available at the time. For example, we sold probably a dozen or more Afroman Hustlers, and could have sold a dozen more.

I get several e-mails a week asking me to carry peoples' boards. They must think I'm a distro, cuz they're telling me I need to order 10 in order to get a free t-shirt or whatever. I have small-run decks that are quite similar to the ones on your site that I've sat on for over 9 months. In many cases, I have to price them below cost to simply move them.

There's an inherent difficulty in selling boards over the net/via mail order. You can't stand on them, fondle them, or get a good feel for how they'll skate. So unless you're buying your second or third Grosso "Coke" Black Label, you're kinda screwed.

Also, "longer than normal" is relative. Most of my customers are looking for boards with at least a 17" wheelbase (for riders). And with the added length requirement usually comes a need for thicker/higher ply count.

If you want some constructive criticism, you need to re-shoot the boards on your site, and include measurements for every single deck--length, width, nose, tail, and wheelbase.
skinny
Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Also, "longer than normal" is relative. Most of my customers are looking for boards with at least a 17" wheelbase (for riders). And with the added length requirement usually comes a need for thicker/higher ply count.

If you want some constructive criticism, you need to re-shoot the boards on your site, and include measurements for every single deck--length, width, nose, tail, and wheelbase.

Well..
14 in wheel bases are the norm these days.

When you start anything close to what I do everyday I will take your "criticisim". Until then stick to what you know. When I open a business that doesn't produce anything but reciepts your knowlege and skill will be useful.
Until then, enjoy the ride....while it lasts.
ThrashCan
Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 12:07 am Reply with quote
I agree with Skinny that it is too easy for someone to create a skateboard brand. Any douchbag with a catchfrase can doodle a graphic, email it, and paypal for it.

This is pretty hypocritical because I am one of these douchbags. If I had the money and knowledge to do it all myself I would but I dont (right now). However I am getting into screen printing thanks to this forum and eventually will atleast be doing some of the work myself, by hand.

So while I'm a douchbag emailing graphics and money, atleast I know I'm a douchbag and am taking steps to de-douch myself.

~Dave
skinny
Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 12:16 am Reply with quote
I was in a pissy mood this afternoon and I owe mile high an appology for my assholednessism. Sorry milehigh
I am actually taking new pics for a new catalog showing new shapes...so I guess we were thinking about the same stuff.
Disregard my previous maniacal statements.
I sometimes forget that I have the best job in the world, and life is not so bad.
I will take my meds now...(jk)
TenetSW
Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 10:29 am Reply with quote
Joined: 04 Dec 2004 Posts: 639 Location: on the outside looking in
i'm an emailin check sending can't draw paypalin douche.

i'm just in it to make a higher quality wood available at a below standard price. i understand where both mile high and skinny are coming from, and thrash is the man.

good luck to all three of you, cuase you all bring something a little different to the table.

Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 10:38 am Reply with quote
Joined: 28 Apr 2004 Posts: 2708 Location: Boulder County, CO
It's all good. Everyone tries to make a difference in their own way. I'd love to stock way more decks, but financially, it just doesn't make sense. I'm stoked as hell when someone calls us up right after a session (pads still on) and says the gear we recommended/sold them is the shit.

Skateboarding is fun.
TRUpah
Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 10:47 am Reply with quote
im with tenet on the good wood for good prices

but at least i screen em by hand i use local artists work and took about a year to learn to screen before i jumped in the game
pressing will come in about another year hopefully if skinny dosent shut me down then i will just outsource through him ha ha ha
-dude is on a scarface type mission

i like your attitude brah too bad i am just a little shit or you would probably have the pleasure of doing biz with a real muthe fucka who aint afraid step out to shut down the current industry strongholds
cant help it just its the way i am.......
who do i gotta take out?...oops i mean uhh ummmm......
anyway peace
skinny
Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I know what I said sounded like Tony Montanya

There I'm done venting.

Last edited by skinny on Sat May 07, 2005 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
TRUpah
Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 2:34 pm Reply with quote
there are labeling laws right?
you need to light the fire under these fuckers and burn em on it.....(not literally of course)
lots of propoganda a little media exposure
some guns a tank a natoin..ohh i mean whoops sorry
its very doable and i believe it can be done

*sniff* "FUCK THE DIAZ BROTHERS!"
skinny
Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 3:03 pm Reply with quote
If you guys get a sec please check this out:
http://www.concretedisciples.com/bbs/...=6&topic=7269

Page 2 of 5    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next