SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  BUSINESS, SHOPS & RETAILERS  »  What do you give to your Team riders ?
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

What do you give to your Team riders ?

SIK CIRCUS
Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Just wondering what I should give to Team riders not Pro skaters yet but the Ams. Any advice on how much product to give them and what else I should pay for them?

I was thinking of giving them boards of course some Shirts stickers and pay for any contests they enter. But I'm not sure how much to give on like a monthly basis.

Any advise?
SkateboardHouseUSA
Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:19 pm Reply with quote
I pay if they want to enter a contest. I give a 10% discount on hard goods and 20% on soft goods. Plus they get a real good discount for sessions at the park but they don't get anything for free. Not enough profit in this game to give away stuff. I give them credit at the shop so they can run a tab if they are low on funds.
ThrashCan
Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:23 am Reply with quote
My riders pay cost for decks and get a few shirts for free. Not makin enough to be givin stuff away though I wish I could.

Don't get too ahead of yourself, start small and build up.

MD/East Coast

\.../(>.<)\.../
TenetSW
Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:07 am Reply with quote
Joined: 04 Dec 2004 Posts: 639 Location: on the outside looking in
damn, i must be fool.

the ams we have give me %150 of there time and effort, and i definately push the limits of their skating beyond what they think they're capable of, and in return they get free shirts, decks: one for riding in this shitty northern wisconsin weather, and one for indoor sessions and demos with a new one if they should happen to snap the one they're on, and pay for comps with them donating whatever they can when we go on trips.

i also skate with the local members on my team everyday.

edit: cause I can...

Last edited by TenetSW on Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:24 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:47 am Reply with quote
I was going to give the boards to them and a shirt or 2. I think I can handle that like every 4 months or so and pay for contests with out going broke. Maybe I can work out a deal like a Free board every 4 months but if they want another before then I can give it to them at cost or something.

Thanks for the advise though.

Thrashcan we should hook up sometime and chat.
Adrian
Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:45 pm Reply with quote
You've got to look at it like they're sales reps. I think it's more important to base their deal on their salesmanship not only on how good they can skate. If they aren't bringing sales in then who cares if they can even skate.
The problem is that they think you owe them and they don't have a clue about the business you're in.
We get our guys blank or shop decks for cost plus free shop t-shirts. They only get discount on stuff they order or old stock. Otherwise they'd pick out all the good stuff right when it comes in.
oasis
Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:11 pm Reply with quote
realdeal wrote:
You've got to look at it like they're sales reps. I think it's more important to base their deal on their salesmanship not only on how good they can skate. If they aren't bringing sales in then who cares if they can even skate.

That's so true. If you can try to get pre-orders from your riders. That way it is easier to meet minimums and they still get a hell of a deal. If they just broke a deck and have no money stoke them out for free. But only if you can.

Don't get ahead of yourself, you will put yourself in the hole. And maybe don't even have a team until you have enough sales to have something to pass on to them. If you get them stoked with hook-ups they will show they're appreciation and rep.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
TenetSW
Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:49 pm Reply with quote
i guess its a little different for me. we go to alot of skateparks and demos and the new site we're working on focuses alot on the riders. i.m.o. any company that is going to get enough exposure to do sales to the demographic that is currently buying all the skate products has to pander to their interests, which at this point seems to be team riders, videos, and then graphics. you could put a picture of a dog taking a shit on a deck and if Spanky or Reynolds has there name all over it they'll buy it. quality is the first important thing in my book, but the kids don't see it that way. so if you have good wood, then an awesome team with the right exposure and your team members interact with the groms and don't act like some elitist assholes that are gods gift to skating, then i think thats the best advertising you can have. put out a compilation video with a couple other small companies and your on your way. and how do you take a kid throwing himself down a 12 stair for your company and only give him shit for cost???

Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:32 am Reply with quote
Joined: 31 Aug 2004 Posts: 2382 Location: Highland, Michigan, USA, Earth
my team riders get 1 shop deck a month and 20% off other stuff. Plus free shop shirts and swag every once and a while.

I too am a new shop and I've found most of the kids that are on the team don't really want to take free stuff from me, they just want to be associated with a new shop and starting something cool.

I look at them as representatives of my shop and pick them as such. Ability is important, but attitude is just as important.

Support skateboard art/artists: http://www.etsy.com/shop/BurbSkateboards
TenetSW
Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:47 am Reply with quote
auragreg has it right on

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next