SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  DOWNHILL / SPEEDBOARDING / LONGBOARDS  »  longboard setup help?
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

longboard setup help?

civilian2b
Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:01 am Reply with quote
Joined: 04 Aug 2004 Posts: 1631 Location: *IN* The Deathbox
just got my a 56" dregs supertanker and i'm looking for some setup help..

i'd like to use this primarily for bombing the shit out of hills, so i figure i'll go with the randal downhill's (instead of the 180's)

add some rockets and some khiro medium's (i'm at 150lbs)

but when it comes to wheels, i'm lost...i'd like to get something in the 70's range...size and duro (maybe low 80's for duro)..should i be looking at a slalom wheel?

any help?

-c2b-
Queue
Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:11 am Reply with quote
manx wheels 69mm by pocketpistolskates.com

70s flashbacks by abec11

abec11 gumballs 76mm

3dm avilas 75 mm

Q
atxJIMatx
Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:35 am Reply with quote
Try some Randal 180's - get some Blue Stimulators off of Mile High and they'll probably work killer ... nice and stable; but you can still turn
Or try a set of Seismics .. quick front, slow turn back
The DH don't really turn or anything until you hit about 35mph...
you can lean; but they won't turn.. and you might just fall off
Seriously... the Dh trucks absolutely suck for anything outside of speedboarding, and that Supertanker ain't no speedboard

Wheelwise-- go for some 70's Flashbaks from Abec 11 in 78 or 81 duro
civilian2b
Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:55 am Reply with quote
Joined: 04 Aug 2004 Posts: 1631 Location: *IN* The Deathbox
thanks for the tips/suggestions..

and i'm quite familiar with marks website...he's my crack dealer

re: speedboardings

i've got a blank 46" with a slight concave and kicktail...think i should swap my 180's from this and get some randal DH's for that one?

what's should i be looking for in a speedboard

camber
wheels the size of grapefruits?
Queue
Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:01 am Reply with quote
speedboards:

plenty more...

Q
letsgoskatepool
Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:48 am Reply with quote
justin, id suggest going bigger wheelwise for what we want to do. maybe get some 70s for your current setup. defidently go with the downhills, if you keep the stock bushings sure you wont be able to turn, but i know you can with the proper bushing combo. riding anthonys setup i was able to turn just pushing on flat. but it was still super stable when i went downhill. i would suggest the 83 or 90 mm flywheels. im looking to get bigger wheels and mine are 80. do not get seismics, i have heard horror storries from people about seismics going past 30. untill they put out the dh springs, i wouldnt touch em. i know i use them but thats just because im waiting on my own set of either jim zs or randal downhills. i would consult anthony directly about your setup. he knows your riding style and also is very experianced.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
MMS
Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:48 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Joined: 03 Jul 2003 Posts: 15098 Location: Heaven or Hell...kinda hard to tell.
What Jim said.

Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:40 am Reply with quote
Joined: 28 Apr 2004 Posts: 2708 Location: Boulder County, CO
c2b,

You might want to consider conventional trucks, wedged front and de-wedged rear.
tricktips
Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:22 pm Reply with quote
I'd probably go with some Tensor 7.5" lows and some 50mm Spitfire 100a wheels.

Kidding...

I actually have the Supertanker -- the stock setup. Fantastic Board -- really great.

I think Dregs really has the setup dialed in on it. Mine came with the wide Invader trucks, which are actually really good, and 70mm white Krypto Classics. Wedge Risers.

You might consider some of the Tracker 184s and ABEC11 Flashbacks in about a 78a, again with wedge risers. This would be about the same as my setup. I'll tell you -- it's stable, but turns great.

Here's my old review, from the silverfish forum...

I have the total stock set-up on the Supertanker. Invader 183mm (or something like that -- the wide ones) trucks, wedge risers, and 70mm White Krypto Classics. It's 56" long, and I think 10.25" wide at the widest point. 11 ply, snappy, responsive flex. I weigh 195 pounds -- enough flex to really pump, but strangly, it feels totally stable for board walking, spinners, etc.

What I like about this board -- that the S9 doesn't have -- is the cutouts. You can run a big wheel but not have to use tons of risers. The result is a wide but relatively low center of gravity -- which makes the thing turn good and hug the ground like an F-1 racer.

That's what I don't like about the S9 -- nothing against them personally or anything. That board is really well made. But for ME -- I need the cutouts and low CG. Even when doing some walking/surf stuff, I ride my trucks pretty loose.

Nothing wrong with the Invader trucks at all. They turn great, are strong, and come with really good rubber bushings.

Its also fairly light for such a big board.

OK -- end of commercial. I know some of you have read my Supertanker rant before. It is the only Dregs board I own, but I totally love it.
PlayGod
Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:07 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Wedged Trackers are definitely more fun on a board like that.

If you go with Randals, the blue Tracker Stims are great bushings -- they are perfect for Randals; make 'em much more stable... you can run them loose and still be able to bomb.

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next