Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

Starting out

slob-air
Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
How does one get started?
donald20
Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 2:00 pm Reply with quote
ok guys-time to open the big box of "secrets".i know that this is controversial,but....hey.
i think everyone should at least be able to have a try on whether he is skilled or not.besides that i think nobody who is able to print can be harmful to the industry.
WHY AM I TELLING YOU THIS?
most of the boardproducers keep the printing area top secret.nobody really wants to share.you have to be experienced to enter those circles or else your chances
are zero.
i think that this is the false way to go and therefor i will share my experiences with screenprinting with you guys here on the forum.
i will take some pics tomorrow to add them to my next posts.this might be really helpful for all of you to understand.
it will take up to three weeks max for you to start printing from today on.
what you need is a little bit experience in craftsmanship,skills and no two left hands.
maximum expenses for a decent starter kit should be around 400 bucks.

tomorrow i'll show you my table and my basic setup for the boards-they need a registration for printing.
i will show you how to print a newschool deck.once you are able to print that you'll have a laugh at printing oldschool-decks.
in my training you will learn to do full passes-which will easily set you apart from all those guys who print something into the middle of the deck.you should be able to do a full pass anyway,since you want to give your board a certain basic color

things you should start with immediately are:find a screenprinting supplies store in your area-check your yellow pages...
try to get hold of some blanks from a decent source.try abcboards for example.what you want to have is approx 3 blanks.

contact me regarding the shape of the frame you're gonna need.send me your complete address and i'll send you a template which you will need in order to create your very first frame.this is the most important thing of your step into the printers world.
so feel free to contact me asking for it.

stay tuned till tomorrow for the very first pics.
hope that aroused some interest.
slob-air
Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
Don - might help if you gave them an e-mail address.

Any other screeners, feel free to chime in.
donald20
Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 3:15 pm Reply with quote
uuhhuuhhuhhuu
[email protected]
sorry,forgot that
Smakutus
Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 10 Dec 2001 Posts: 2932 Location: Meechigan.. Collect and Destroy!
I am ready to learn..

Some of your post reminds me of when Big Brother went to the skateboard making plant to get the Whale Cocks made. In the story they weren't allowed to show part of the process because it's so easy to get started making decks..

Outt..
Jeff.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Neuman
Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Haha, I feel like it's my first day of some college class! I'm psyched to learn about this.

Any pre-1998 Jason Adams deck
Any James Kelch deck
Any Blue or Stereo stuff. Preferably Jason Lee.
harrison73
Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 7:57 pm Reply with quote
holy shit batman! i cant even tell you how hard i have tried finding some kind of source for this info... i even called the guy who screens bulldog's decks and he did NOT want to share AT ALL! but hey thats cool; every post i put out on various forums came back with minimal results so seeing this is fuckin awesome! i just about gave up on trying and was gonna trial 'n error it until i got it right. but with the time i put into cutting and sanding my decks i want the screening to be as on target as i can make it. i am SO STOKED about this new forum; THANK YOU.
Stranglehold77
Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 11:06 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Joined: 10 Apr 2002 Posts: 5437 Location: Victoria BC CANADA
I've been screenprinting for about 15 years now, but I have never been able to find anyone to show me exactly how it is done on decks. I realize that the basics are the same as shirts, but I've always wondered about dealing with the concave etc. The ink will be completely different for sure. An air-dry ink for decks would be the only option. I figure running them through a 300+ degree oven might make them warp.
Anything you need to know on T-shirt printing and I am your man.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
donald20
Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 1:22 am Reply with quote
thanks for the interest guys..
it's 6.00 a.m. i'm already up and i will take the pics in a couple of hours.about thta so secret stuff-all thoses printers should be aware that keeping it a secret is absoulute bull.most of you will use this as a hobby-or do you want to threaten birdhouse f.e.???
thanks for all the interest.hopefully some other guys that print boards will show up later on and discuss their techniques too on the forum.
so stay tuned...
305oldschool
Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 10:47 am Reply with quote
Cool. I'll be screening 13 decks over the next 2 weeks and I'll share my pics with you too. A good friend of mine has been printing coffee mugs, t shirts and all kinds of stuff for my band for the last 3 years. This is the first time he's trying decks so this forum is really going to help us out. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next