SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  VALUE OF A SPECIFIC SKATEBOARD  »  NOS Vallely Vert
Page 2 of 4    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

NOS Vallely Vert

www.spyhillskates.com
Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, just like in the catalog link above.

I'm curious how you guys see this: When do you consider World decks to start and SMA to stop? Is the first Rocco Division board from '88 the first World deck, or does World really kick in with this batch of decks from 1990? Remember there's a slew of boards in between like the Think Crime and Jesse Martinez models that could also be considered the first World decks. I've been talking to another person about this too. Were there other SMA boards that were made from '88 onward that weren't Rocco/World products? It seems to me that Natas was still having boards made by Santa Cruz that were branded SMA and had nothing to do with Rocco, and the World boards weren't comimg out of the NHS woodshop either, right?

lotfortynine
Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 12:09 am Reply with quote
i would be that other aforementioned person in the above post of tim's. as far as i know, rocco started sma: rocco division in 1988 with skip's blessing (natas/sma decks were already being produced/distributed by santa cruz at this time, but rocco's wood did not come from the same shop, nor did his distribution). the initial two decks were his and jesse martinez's first model. the think crime came out soon thereafter along with the addition of hartsel. when the big two (santa cruz and powell) started coming down on rocco, skip advised him to cease using the sma name, so rocco slyly morphed the sma logo into world industries, a transition that can be seen on many decks in early 1989 with the addition of vallely and mullen. personally, i consider the barnyard to be the official rise of world industries, as we all knew and loved it, since it was mckee's first graphic and introduced a much needed dose of cleverness and humor into skateboarding.
www.spyhillskates.com
Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 12:20 am Reply with quote
You damned know-it-all! I was hoping to get some other opinions before you told us all how it really is.
lotfortynine
Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 12:31 am Reply with quote
jason should still have a decent take on this historical spat. after all, he has most of the boards!
Freshkid
Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 4:30 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
I remember that the Vallely was one of the first boards I ever saw with symmetrical concave and equal nose and tail lift. World Industries branded SMA boards never had a 'conventional' concave, although some of the early Rocco SMA boards did (the Hartsel and Martinez for example). Rocco also made the best wheels of that era, Gizmos. Just how ahead of their time were they?
lotfortynine
Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 1:37 pm Reply with quote
unconventional concave? look no farther than the jef hartsel "bump" board. actually, there may have been a rocco board that had this too, where the concave went a tad convex near the front truck and was highlighted with a graphic on top.
theherd
Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 2:12 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Joined: 02 Nov 2001 Posts: 5009 Location: Wish I lived in Pinto's Place
yup- that "egg" is on the the vallely also. weirdness

herd
knowskateboarding
Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 14 Nov 2001 Posts: 2813 Location: Monster Island(NYC)
Awww. I'm blushing Sean. That's a good question. I agree with you though. I guess I always considered the first Rocco the "birth", but you're right about the Barnyard. That's when you could tell the winds were'a changin. Graphics and shape wise. It was very cool how they put the SMA behind the globe, and then phased it out.
What was the first board with a really large nose? For some reason when I saw the Lee Cat in the Hat. I remembered the nose being a lot bigger than all other boards. The nose on the Barnyard isn't that big. It's REALLY wide though.
knowskateboarding
Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 14 Nov 2001 Posts: 2813 Location: Monster Island(NYC)
What about the double dip? Now there's some convex.
lotfortynine
Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 2:55 pm Reply with quote
good call on the double dip. ha ha... uh, first big nose? wouldn't that go to hensley? i don't rightly know on that one...

Page 2 of 4    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next