SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  GENERAL DISCUSSION FORUM  »  Old School Decks & MiniCubics
Page 1 of 4    Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Old School Decks & MiniCubics

Dave NYC
Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Greetings,

This is my first post on this forum (sorry it is a little long)

A few months back, I saw a picture of a skater in the New York Times, it was an article about him getting burned by a red hot manhole cover while skating. What caught my attention is that he was holding a Powell Steve Steadham (ace of spades) spoon nose. The last deck I had was a Steadham and I moved on to other things and I stopped skating in 88' I started on the 70's and my first "good" deck was a Logan Earth Ski with Bennett trucks and Road Rider 4's. I have had or rode everytrhing from a Kryptonics Kryptstick to a Sims to a Varaflex.
But, the Powell decks were always my favorite. I started with the Mcgill spoon nose (the picture of the graphics is in the below pic). I went through a few of them. I used Kryptonics 70 mm because I was into street riding. But, then when I got my Steadham I switched over a harder wheel, I started using the Powell 95a Cubics and realized that the harder wheels went a lot faster. They glided over everything and I could spin my entire deck going downhill at high speeds.

So, I got the reissue Steadham, a set of Indy 215's. I have half inch shock pads, I have the rails, nose bone and tail bone, Jessup griptape and clear griptape over the gold dragon logo. So, the entire deck is covered. I took my time on getting vintage stickers and last but not least a lapper. I went with the Powell G Bones 97a at first. But, I was just not feeling the G bones. I was looking for a set of minicubics and I found a set that looked like they were in the trash for 15 years on ebay and the highest bid so far was over $100 and I was not going to pay over $100 for those wheels (pic below). So, I did some research and went with the Bulldog Dubcons, 64mm, 95a in red. They ride "almost like the cubics." But, not really. So, I wrote the Powell company and told them that there was a super high demand for minicubics, I told them that Bulldog was making a killing selling their Dubcons and I showed that a mint condition set cubics went for over $300 on ebay. I got a reply from Kam at Skate one and George gave the cubic project a green light and we will getting minicubics in the very near future (below is the email I got from Skateone.com regarding the Cubic project). So, I just wanted to share this with you guys. I like this forum and hope to exchange thoughts and memoires here.

Regards
Dave from New York City.

Below is the lastest of many emails I got from The Powell Company, in regard to the minicubics/cubic wheels.

Hi Dave,

Thanks again for the info. Everyone here is now pushing for it and George has agreed that bringing back the Cubics will be good for business. The one thing slowing us down is the number of molds we found. We have some original molds, but not enough. We�ll have to make some more to make an actual production run. Our test wheels should be made shortly. I�ll keep you in mind for a free set when we get done. Much appreciations again.
Kam

Last edited by Dave NYC on Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:25 am; edited 2 times in total

sbeehre
Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 11 Jun 2003 Posts: 150 Location: Hamilton, New Zealand
awesome! powell are a great company that do listen to their customers! which is not the case with most other skate companies their size.
jffullum
Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Welcome to the forum man. I'm relly glad that Powell will re-issue the mini cubic. Where did you get the McGill?
JF

Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Welcome aboard, Dave - always glad to have another Powell fan on the forums!

PEACE
Dave NYC
Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the welcome.

Actually that McGill is a knock off made by Dogtown, they have a whole line of Powell old school knock offs, Dogtown/Bulldog makes a good board (although, I prefer Powell any day). I was just using that board as a reference. Because, when a lot of people think of a Powell McGill they think of the deck in the picture below and I never owned that style McGill. I always had the McGill with the Graphics in the Dogtown knock off (above). I never liked the Mcgill pictured below. It has a simi double kick and the nose is far from a spoon.

I can't wait for those cubics to come out. I am going to call Powell this week and get an update. I am pretty friendly with the people at Powell and I am sure I will get a set of the Cubics proto type (for free) once they are produced. (I wonder what those will be worth on the open market, I don't know if I would want to part with them though. )

Again thanks for the welcome.

ThrashCan
Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:52 am Reply with quote
RAD!
shifty
Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Dave NYC wrote:
Thanks for the welcome.

Actually that McGill is a knock off made by Dogtown, they have a whole line of Powell old school knock offs,

When? How can I get some?
Dave NYC
Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:15 pm Reply with quote
shifty wrote:
Dave NYC wrote:
Thanks for the welcome.

Actually that McGill is a knock off made by Dogtown, they have a whole line of Powell old school knock offs,

When? How can I get some?

Hmmmmm.

You would have to contact Wes himself to get some of these custom Powell knock offs. I feel the Dogtown/Bulldog versions are a little more rugged in some respects.

Below is the top side of the McGill and the top side of the Vato Rat Bones. The graphics are exactly the same for the Vato on the other side. These are rare decks that are too nice to ride. The Kryptonics Kryptstick (below) sold for $350 as is.

Top side of the McGill_________Top side of the Vato

Kryptonics Krypstick

mitchz
Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:51 pm Reply with quote
I loved cubics!
They allways looked sweet on PIgs and rode liek champs

bring em back!!!

BTW thats not a Kryptstick Top
Dave NYC
Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:21 pm Reply with quote
mitchz wrote:
I loved cubics!
They allways looked sweet on PIgs and rode liek champs

bring em back!!!

BTW thats not a Kryptstick Top

Really? I could have sworn it was because my krypstike was exactly the same as the deck shown in the pic, in fact I had two. My first Krypstick was white with their trademark "K" in red and my second was a foam and fiber that came in black, that too had the trademark "K" in red, with the circle around it. I believe that was around 1980-81.
Kryptstick's came in so many different colors and they used different types of materials to make them. If that Kryptonics deck is not a Krypstick, than what type of deck is it?

Anyhow, I love the cubics...they looked and rode great on "pigs" like you mentioned. I started with the 64x64 cubics, 95a. Then when the minicubics came out I went with those because there was less of an overhang. I always use Indy 169's. If your deck was 11 to 12 inches wide the 64x64 were cool. But, most of the Powell decks were no wider than 10 inches wide. So, the minicubics were perfect. The only wheel that comes close to the minicubics are the Bulldog Dubcons 64mm, 95a and they ride like a dream (in some cases depending on the surface I can't even tell if they are Dubs or Cubics). But, when I get the cubics I know I will have my deck complete. The only thing I miss is the German Gold Sims Bearings. I have been going with the Powell "Reds." They are not bad for the price.
Below is a pic of mint condition minicubics. But, they are not the carmel color 95a's.

Page 1 of 4    Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next