SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  GENERAL DISCUSSION FORUM  »  Back into the fold!
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

Back into the fold!

71bigblock
Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Just went skating at the Rye Airfield with my buddy yesterday. 34 and first time on a board in at least 4 years. I was the dork that had to rent not only a full set of pads, but also a stick. 7 3/4" wide boards are a long way from the 9-10" I used to ride back in the day. Did way better than I thought, i think ramp skating is like riding a bike you don't really forget how to do it. Looks like 'old man night' on weds. will be a regular thing for me, i'm buying a new deck this week my old one was warped. Also gonna get an old school deck and mount my old Thunders on it for pool skating.

Stoked to be back!
theshralpster
Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:09 pm Reply with quote
You got a great place to skate.

What kind of deck are you thinking about getting.
71bigblock
Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:01 pm Reply with quote
yeah, it's pretty amazing. if it'd always been here, i'd have probably started up again earlier.

as far as decks go, i'm open to suggestions for 'new school' types. the last one i had was a Lance Mountain model (don't remember the make) that was ~8 1/4" wide or so. it was ok as i prefer the wider boards with good concave. the good sized tip/tail was nice too.

my riding style is very conventional, old school. mostly simple tricks on mini ramps, but i hope to move back up to the vert side of things. when i was fully into it i could do both frontside and backside airs/ollies on the vert/mini as well as the usual things like boardslides,grinds,blunts,sweeper/creepers and inverts. i don't do board flip tricks beyond simple kickflips and shove-its. i was never much for street skating as i started back in 84-85 timeframe and we always had ramps to ride down in VA. i don't anticipate street skating since it's too hard on the ol' body i'm ~190 lbs now and wear a 7.5 vans shoe.

as far as the old school decks, i remember having great success with the SC Roskopp models, especially the ones around 88 or so. they had a great wide scoop nose area and a fully concave tail that gave me great control. the last old school models i had that i really liked was a PP McGill Ultra-light/tough or whatever the hell that was with the layer of what looked like tar-paper in between the maple was. the last board before the new school Lance Mt. was a Danny Way model, don't remember the make.
wavelord
Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:52 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
do a search for seller danno242 on ebay. He carries a good selection of old school blanks for a decent price. No graphics, but if your skating it you don't need them.

any board from VB pro's.
DTinVA
Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:29 pm Reply with quote
There are plenty of newer school shapes with the wider widths if you want to go that way.

Check around this site and I'll bet you'll find something that will suit. Welcome back to skating!!
The Green Monkey
Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:13 am Reply with quote
Joined: 15 Jun 2002 Posts: 14107 Location: Fucking a giant scorpion, duh.
Welcome back, Mr. Kotter!

I definitely agree with DT that you should poke around a bit to see what's out there before just buying the first plank you encounter...

Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:23 am Reply with quote
well, since i've got today off i'm going over to Eastern Boarder and pick up a new deck. i'm going to try and find something to fit my 9" thunder trucks if possible.
The Green Monkey
Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 15 Jun 2002 Posts: 14107 Location: Fucking a giant scorpion, duh.
Your old trucks probably won't fit on a new deck--the mounting pattern changed a bit a while ago.

Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:01 am Reply with quote
yeah, i discovered that the last time i bought a board, i just marked and drilled new holes in the deck. later i bought a set of Krux and Spitfire 55s to put on it. looked a little better than the Thunders and PP T-Bones that i had before!

didn't find anything that size anyways, i ended up getting a no-name (BCD Wood Co.) deck with no graphics. i'm pretty happy, i got out of there with a new deck and a full set of pads for < $75.

'old man night', here i come!
morini500
Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:54 am Reply with quote
hey bigblock, is the old man night every wed? we had the same thing every wed. at skater island until it closed. i think there would be a small crew who would make the road trip after looking at the website. we've been going to taunton ma. but the pay-off for the extra miles looks good. we are all in the 30 to 40 yr. old range and stick mainly to the bowls. i hope these kids know how good they have it with parks like rye. in my day...

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next