SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  BUSINESS, SHOPS & RETAILERS  »  Getting cock-blocked by the big boys.
Page 1 of 7    Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Getting cock-blocked by the big boys.

houston
Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Has anyone had any luck opening accounts after being cock-blocked by the big boys? I have heard this is illegal, but it obvously happens. What are you rights. How do you get around it?

I can't believe all of these manufacturers claim to be down for skateboarding then they won't open accounts due to "the big bad mall shop called and said we can't open an account with you"

It's sad to see the dirty side of skateboarding.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
MileHighSkates
Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 28 Apr 2004 Posts: 2708 Location: Boulder County, CO
Because I'm strictly e-sales, some distro's won't sell to me. I can usually get product through other distro's, but sometimes that doesn't happen. It took us over a year to get SkateOne/Powell to give us an account, but it's all good now.
auragreg
Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 31 Aug 2004 Posts: 2382 Location: Highland, Michigan, USA, Earth
I've been blocked by being too "new". We just opened a month ago.

They pretty much have said ... "call us in a year"

Burton
K2
DC
Volcom

just a few.

I freaked out at one rep and said: "How am I supposed to be around in a year if you dont give me anything to sell!?!?!"

Oh well ... just more incentive to deal with the people who are supporting me in the beginning.

Support skateboard art/artists: http://www.etsy.com/shop/BurbSkateboards
Smakutus
Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 10 Dec 2001 Posts: 2932 Location: Meechigan.. Collect and Destroy!
I wouldn't deal with you either... How many small skateshops open up, are poorly run and are outt of business within a year? I've seen quite a few since 99.

I think a bigger problem is these sales guys that will sell to anyone just to move their product. I have heard some stories about guys dealing with a company in their small town for a while, and then the bike shop in the same town see's someone making money on skatestuff and wants a part of it. This sort of thing put a small skateshop outt of business near me. I doubt it happens as much with the companies who say see you in a year from now.

You need to find some good companies that NEED to deal with you for the first year. Later these other companies will come to you wanting to sell their stuff. Then you have the upper hand on them.

Good luck,
Jeff.

"what the heck you talking about i sent you the money weeks ago,and you still gaveme a negative feedback,and top it off never sent me the tape,its ebayers like you that screw people,Thanks for messing up my ratings jerk.."

A. Fuckingkissfan.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Adrian
Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 4:25 pm Reply with quote
have patience. you have no credit.
you need to deal with the smaller guys first. once you get one of the big guys then the rest start to fall in place.
talk to the reps that distribute the big brands and try to get some of their smaller brands. then you already have everything in place.
forget Volcom they've had a policy for over a year of not opening any new shops.
houston
Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:28 pm Reply with quote
No companies will be named.

Last edited by houston on Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
ThrashCan
Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:14 pm Reply with quote
alot of shops cant carry DC and such for a while. Thats just the way it is. If you need decks alot of people on here such as myself have companies and would be glad to do business.

Keep on keepin on
auragreg
Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:03 am Reply with quote
Joined: 31 Aug 2004 Posts: 2382 Location: Highland, Michigan, USA, Earth
I did have reps say that they needed to make sure that they already didnt have a shop close to me with the same product. I dont think that it is illegal to do that. And I dont see a shop and a big box (or mall) in the same league.

It is crappy tho that big boxes are carrying more and more board sports things tho. And the reps see that they can make a lot more money thru them because they can buy in bulk.

It's gotten to the point now that you can buy a Burton anywhere. But they wont deal with me when I will buy everything with cash? Doesnt make sense to me.

I would ditch em and go with someone else. I get my skate stuff from Smoothill and they are super cool.

Support skateboard art/artists: http://www.etsy.com/shop/BurbSkateboards
oldskoolrulz
Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:19 pm Reply with quote
@ auragreg: you need to get in contact with South Shore Dist., they are located in your state (TX) and can take care of most of your skateboard needs, 'specially in the beginning. dudes are all cool as hell, matt fuller is my rep and takes great care of me, and with them being in your back yard i can't see where you'd go wrong...

give 'em a shout, they could care less about the big mall stores, if you have cash i'm sure they'll listen to ya number is 800-580-6802, best of luck!
oldskoolrulz
Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:20 pm Reply with quote
sorry, that last e-mail should've been directed to 'houston'

Page 1 of 7    Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next