SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  MANUFACTURERS FORUM  »  New Company ...any tips?
Page 3 of 3    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

New Company ...any tips?

skinny
Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:16 pm Reply with quote
I weigh 290lbs and I am very happy with my current products. In the past I went through other peoples decks like firewood. Mostly cause I never changed my style of skating. It took me some time to get the consistency down but now every deck I make is trustworthy...even for my fat ass. I should point out that I ride decks 8.25 and over and I change my deck alot but that doesn't change the fact that I am heavy and my decks stand up to it. Also when I test any deck the way you described it touches the floor. Because I am a fat bastard.
TenetSW
Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:47 am Reply with quote
Joined: 04 Dec 2004 Posts: 639 Location: on the outside looking in
lol.
fat bastards, UNITE!

Hey fed up, what other companies did you check out samples from and who was the worst?
I go with Penn's and I couldn't be happier with their wood, service or anything else for that matter. However, I'm strictly about performance and perfection, so anybody out there thats doin the next manufacturer one up in overall quality I'd like to hear about.
I really liked Penn's cause Joe is all about improvement and they're constantly trying to improve any details they can.

Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:00 pm Reply with quote
yo tenet,
Yeah I haven't tried Penn's decks out yet, I've heard a lot about em tho. However, I hadn't heard of them when i started making orders. I heard about a million other companies tho. I know Anthony at Yocaher Skateboards can hook ya up, but their minimums are pretty high and their boards were the weakest in my 155 pound white boy reverse deck stand on test. Wholesale skateboards usa was the strongest i found, but their decks are a bit heavy. Point Distribution are cool guys too, and i was leaning with them before i went ahead and went w/Prime. Woodchuck Laminates are great quality as well. I've been hearing a lot about this Penn Company tho and they sound good. Make sure they're well rounded though. That was the toughest part for me - finding strong decks, with good shapes, sizes, weight, etc. One company I really wanted to test out, but didn't get a chance to, was California Skate Factory. There's probably a ton out there i haven't even came accross, but the best so far seem to be Prime, Mimic, Penn, and CSF. If you have a good relationship with Penn and no complaints, I'd say stick to them. Thats cool that they are willing to pick at the small details, as they grow and you stick w/them as a customer the decks will get better and flawless. Thanks,
- Josh @ Fed Up

Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the heads on Yocaher, i'll keep my distance from anything that fails a 155 pound test. California Skate Factory has sickass boards, but the prices are something not too many little guys can meet. Quite a few mainstream companies use them, and their manufacturing process that puts ripples in the bottom of the deck to allow less surface contact really does seem to improve slide-ability without compromising board strength. However, they aren't the strongest deck for a big guy like myself.
As for the roundness of all the Penn's decks, i went through about 150 without a single deck flaw except that two decks looked like they took a little Fed-X abuse, i.e. some little dings and chips.

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:20 am Reply with quote
skinny wrote:
I weigh 290lbs and I am very happy with my current products. In the past I went through other peoples decks like firewood. Mostly cause I never changed my style of skating. It took me some time to get the consistency down but now every deck I make is trustworthy...even for my fat ass. I should point out that I ride decks 8.25 and over and I change my deck alot but that doesn't change the fact that I am heavy and my decks stand up to it. Also when I test any deck the way you described it touches the floor. Because I am a fat bastard.

all decks will flex to some degree especially if you deliberately build flex decks so my interest is in the "memory" of the deck over time. that and critical failure (read snaps like a toothpick when it will hurt you the worst).

feel free to use the fobs (fat old guy bounces) test.
mount the trucks/wheels or similar fulcrum at the mount positions.
lock the kick/nose down.
stand on the opposite end of the board and start bouncing in a nice consistent fashion.
count the number of bounces until the board fails (almost always just behing the truck mount point if the board is any good).
higher number of bounces that return to the origional rest position, better the board.

kinda fun to destroy shtuff but keep it to yourself otherwise the significant other will give you a ration of it for wasting money regardless of how much you tell her its research.
TenetSW
Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:03 pm Reply with quote
290 and they call him "skinny".
I thought I was the only one with a fat/skinny complex!

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:27 pm Reply with quote
check out www.boardtesting.com
they have setup and performed tests on all the major brands.
all the info is there.
pennswood performed 3rd best in the world of woodshops.
alien was first
jart out of spain was second.
very interesting.

Page 3 of 3    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3