SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  GENERAL DISCUSSION FORUM  »  What got you started?
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

What got you started?

tadsmith
Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:32 am Reply with quote
Not skateboarding but the collecting of certain decks? I always thought
when I started to get busy with life and skated less and less that one
day it would be cool to have one of every deck I owned that had some specific meaning to me. There were tons of decks that were simply
good riders and had cool shapes but the company or graphic was second
rate so those don't count.

I always wanted a room full of old decks that would just be hanging there
as a reminder of all the great times I had with those boards. It was always in the back of my mind but I never really pursued it.

Last December my wife surprised me on my birthday with a Powell ripper reissue. I couldnt believe how great I felt everytime I looked at that deck. I guess from there it started. I found this website and could not believe how many other just like me were out there...

I'm slowly building a collection (I hate using the word collector..sounds creepy) of the decks that meant something to me at a specific era. I'm finding that unfortunately there are only a few of the real significantly memorable decks out there and others are just as eager to get these as I am. Being a new homeowner and dad makes the financial part of this hunt pretty tricky.

Someday I'll own a NOS Hensley Eagle kingsize, Ray of Light and Plan B Firebird. As well as a Humpston art Natas, Skull and sword and Slasher original. As you can see, these decks are probably some of the most popular so I'm screwed when it comes to trying to grab these and compete with those with cashflow.

For now I'm super stoked on guys like Herd and Olive who are making the repo's price manageable and the quality is top notch (next best thing to the real deal).

Enough of my rant, curious as to what got it started for you guys. Did some of you buy NOs decks back in the day wanting to preserve them for future enjoyment or did others come across great deals by accident? Some of you are serious old school collectors because the shear volume of your collections is crazy!!

What started it all off?
vaskateboards
Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:42 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Quote:
I always wanted a room full of old decks that would just be hanging there as a reminder of all the great times I had with those boards. It was always in the back of my mind but I never really pursued it.

I started looking at boards on ebay beginning of last year and was so suprised. from there it took of like a MOFO. I spend everyday trying to hunt down people and boards.

I am sick, I know, but it's so much fun

Woooooooooaaaaaaaaaa
The Green Monkey
Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 15 Jun 2002 Posts: 14107 Location: Fucking a giant scorpion, duh.
Pretty much just trying to track down a few to replace the ones that I used to have but don't anymore. I had to ease THM into the idea slowly, first it was just the decks that I still owned that could go on the wall, then the ones I found on ebay to replace old ones I didn't have any more, then it just became a free for all, as long as I keep everything in my appointed area.

Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 2:00 pm Reply with quote
my parents are antique dealers and i always helped them set up at flea markets and shows. so in around 93 or so i started picking up old decks then in a about 98 i sold what i had collected on ebay to fund my snowboarding habit and i just pic them up randomly when they are cheap
wavelord
Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:13 pm Reply with quote
well grew up skatin with all the VB boys. A lot of them got pro models, but I was never into the whole sponser or contest scene although I geuss I could of been (maybe not pro, but a least gotten a sponser). quite skatin because I fucked my knees up and got back into surfin. Had a lot of old zorlac decks (I skated zorlacs only) and about 3 years ago find out they were worth money. I decided I needed to pick up a skate again and start trying to get a hold of all my bro'd boards. now I'm hopelessly addicted to trying to complete my complete VB collection. I'm pretty close, but I'm not sure if some of the decks actually exist.

any board from VB pro's.
Lucky
Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:59 am Reply with quote
great thread man...i'm a new "collector" (hate that word too), and i'm always interested to hear what other like-minded individuals have as far as a reason for all this...quite revealing how many of us have stuff in common. its the collectors who have stories that go with their collecting that i find the most "real", as i know there are some out there just looking to turn a profit. nothing wrong with profit-turners, but i feel they dont have a "connection" or soul for all of this.

for me, i never did have a brand-new skateboard when i was a kid at 15. i couldnt afford it sadly, even though i loved it as much as my buddies who gave me their used ones...thrashed of course. my dream deck was tony hawk's classic iron-cross and skull.

fast forward 14 years to today, on an impulse and curiousity to what i would find, i typed in "tony hawk" on ebay's search . lo and behold, 2 nos Hawks ending in 2 days. i couldnt believe it, how some or even ANY of these decks survived all these years without getting used. i bought the hawks of course, and since then acquired 2 cabs, a gonz, and a hosoi...all NEW and original!. i am absolutely smitten by all of this, as i collect other things like mugen and spoon parts for all you import-car buffs out there. i'm just hoping my kids will one day enjoy these decks and appreciate a pivotal point in skating history.

*Hosoi "Hammerhead Collage"
*Underhill RED "Cross and Chain"
ShackleMeNot
Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:07 am Reply with quote
Trying to find my first deck again, I came across several dozen others i liked.

Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:56 am Reply with quote
Two things: Having enough money to actually buy a deck just because I like it...As a kid, walking into a skateshop and that SMELL of new decks and stickers and seeing all those beautiful wheels and decks and trucks was torture knowing I couldn't have any of those things. (Any guys my age know what I'm talking about with the 1970s SKATESHOP experience!)

And, remembering how much I loved it as a kid, my first skateboard and riding again as an adult...The years faded away and I was having FUN again!

I decided in my late thirties I was going to never give up riding as I had years before.

Collecting is something I started fairly recently. Just like any collector...You want the best, rarest, coolest, whatever. I love certain decks though, that aren't worth two cents, so it's not like as antique collector. Hard to explain, I guess, but in a nutshell, a lot of it is about being able to have decks you always wanted as a kid, but also new ones you see and love at first sight.

No matter how many decks I see, I'm always stoked to get new/ NOS/ or old ones; I believe that's the mark of a collector of anything. You just LOVE it no further explanation needed, I guess!

Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:38 pm Reply with quote
I put skateboard on an ebay search about three years ago, and I couldn't believe all the old or older decks that came up. I just assumed they all got thrashed. I tried getting a hold of my first couple decks, Roskopp II and the Hensley church glass but didn't have the cash at the time for what auctions were going for. I admit......I remeber when I got a new deck I wasn't affraid to skratch or thrash the graphic. But the first board slide or smith grid did sting a little bit. I've always loved the graphics on skateboard decks. That was the first attraction to skateboarding for me, the graphics. Now that I'm getting older and the party scene has ran it's course in my lifetime. I love skateboarding again, the crete, the street, the graphics( man the 90's own that shit! ) wish I had more of those. Collecting boards has got me back into ridding!
olliegrind
Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:54 am Reply with quote
I started collecting when I saw my friends in college had some old school decks lying around. At the time (late 90s) we set up old decks and would skate them occasionally. Then I got a job and had some spending money. I was into Pushead stuff at the time so I started collecting his decks. I never could afford the heavy hitters - double cut, Johnson voodoo, Gibson pig, but I managed to collect quite a bit of the old zorlacs. Then I kinda lost interest for a couple years. I sat on my collection - I didn't get rid of any decks and I didn't get any new ones. Then a couple months ago Steve (vintageskates) contacted me for a trade. We set something up and I went over his house and saw all the stuff he'd been getting recently and I was sucked back in immediately. Since I started back up I shifted my collection from Zorlac/Pushead (who I'm not as into at this point) to decks that I had or loved as a kid. I also love decks with unique shapes (the Skull Mutant being the strangest). I made a couple purchases on ebay again and some trades. I forgot how excruciating it is checking the mail everyday. But man, when you open the door and there is a skateboard sized box there, its like god damn christmas morning.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next