SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED:  »  Our skatepark experiences...just keep repeating
Page 2 of 2    Goto page Previous  1, 2

Our skatepark experiences...just keep repeating

In an average month how many skaters do you figure you preach a different side of skateboarding (ie slalom, longboarding, pool, vert, freestyle) to?

1-3 skaters  
39%
  [ 9 ]  39%

4 - 7skaters  
21%
  [ 5 ]  21%

8 -11 skaters  
39%
  [ 9 ]  39%

Total Votes : 23
slob-air
Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
Buck Toff wrote:
I can't help but being a bit of a "skate evangelist" ha ha. After I got a new board (A new Jay Adams with my old Thunders and also Shitfires and Rockets bearings), I'll let any kid try my ride, 'cause I know they'll be blown away by the speed and ride. They almost always come back with a smile and a "I just learned something cool" look on their face.

Only problem: many kids, especially the older ones, are freaked out by loose trucks. But I tell 'em they have to have loose trucks in the bowl, so they should loosen them a quarter or half turn every week so they don't notice the change.

Indeed. Same story here.
ShackleMeNot
Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:37 am Reply with quote
I tend to do a little preaching once in awhile because all anybody 8-18 skate around here are rails and ledges, they don't give themselves a wide enough variety of terrain. I know everyone here probably knows I favor miniramps, but I try to skate all different things when I get a chance. Once in awhile kids will ask if they can try one of my SC boards, or the Danny way or gator I ride, and can't get over the fact that there are big loose trucks, with big soft wheels, and no nose on them. it's pretty funny seeing some of the stuff people try on them, it makes my circus act look very tame. I'm glad that skateboarding is becoming more universal as far as what types of boards people are riding, and what sort of terrain they ride rather than who can do the biggest boardslide down a rail.

On a lighter note, the main boards I ride are 8"popsicles, I feel most comfortable on them I think, but will keep moving up in size as i stray further away from my circus act in the future.

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:17 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Loose trucks definitely freak out the standup stickmen.
Lifer
Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:49 pm Reply with quote
I don't do much preaching at all. Really, I only speak up at all when some little 3flipping bastard says that vert sucks. I absolutely hate to hear kids say that. To me, skating is skating. It's all the same. You're riding a frickin' skateboard.
I tend to lead by example. I work 70 hours a week, and when I go to the park, all that is gone. I'm there just for the soul of it. I push myself every time out. I ride a cookie cutter(set up pretty loose). I try to learn new flip tricks. Kids see that, and respect it. Even if they are close minded, most of them won't bring any of that crap out.
Like ShackleMeNot..............I will probably sometime go back to a wider that 8in. board. I don't know how many years left of truly pushing myself I have left at age 33. As it is, i've been out 5 weeks with a cracked bone on my ankle.

https://www.facebook.com/james.calandr...s=100000686899395

https://twitter.com/jimcsax
notaint
Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:20 am Reply with quote
I like to stand outside our crappy skateshop and get to the kids before they go in

The lady at my local gas station asked me if I skated a few weeks ago. She says her son loves to go fast on his board. The next day I threw her a concrete wave and a pps sticker. The following day my cigs were free and her son and all his friends drooled over the mag all night and probably still are.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Frey
Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:09 am Reply with quote
ShackleMeNot wrote:
On a lighter note, the main boards I ride are 8"popsicles.

An 8 inch popsicle was the 20 dollar deck that got me into old school and bowl skating. before that I was skating on a 7.5 inch deck... then I got that and it was just "woah, this make skating so much more fun", then I got a 10 inch powell ripper and loved it! but it was quite unresponsive I found, so I got a hessian which I found a bit more meneuverable. Now I've got a 9" trashskates deck thats a few inches shorter than the shitty, I love it to bits.

So, a kid can get into old school without preaching?
Yes.

Page 2 of 2    Goto page Previous  1, 2