SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED:  »  Our skatepark experiences...just keep repeating
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

Our skatepark experiences...just keep repeating

In an average month how many skaters do you figure you preach a different side of skateboarding (ie slalom, longboarding, pool, vert, freestyle) to?

1-3 skaters  
39%
  [ 9 ]  39%

4 - 7skaters  
21%
  [ 5 ]  21%

8 -11 skaters  
39%
  [ 9 ]  39%

Total Votes : 23
skategeezer
Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 7:52 am Reply with quote
One of the reasons why the skate revolution won't be televised is that what's happening on the ground ain't being filmed. Perhaps you have had this experience. It seems to happen EVERY time I skate.
Yesterday, I skated with my 8 year old son. He rides everything. So, here we were at the park...he comes bombing down the path to the park on a longboard. The kids at the park just freaked. Then I pull out my SMA with Shitfires and start throwing down some berts on this bank...screeeeeeeech...

Bottom line, the kids (and there were 20 or so) all tried the various boards. They couldn't believe how they rode...they had never experienced a wheel durometer BELOW 99! Trucks that turn so tightly and of course boards that actually flex!

Then, it's time to whip out the Concrete Wave mag and start the process of more education...followed by stickers.

Does all this seed planting add up to something? Well, let me put it in this perspective, these kids spend about 1 hour seeing and trying something new and they are impressionable...most had only been skating for less than a year and they were all under 13....I figure that if this scenerio is repeated 25,000 times per month all over the world, we will have millions of younger skaters gravitating towards ALL types of skateboards over the next decade. And of course, the attrition rate in skateboarding will drop from 85% to something around 75% or even less.

Well, that's the way I see it at least...
DunnDiego
Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:18 am Reply with quote
Yeah Michael!!! That's they way to do it, Grass Roots!!

V�va la Revoluci�n!!!!
sbeehre
Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 11 Jun 2003 Posts: 150 Location: Hamilton, New Zealand
This happens all the time for me! Kids always want to have a go on my board because its something different.... when they do they are amazed at how fast it is compared to what they ride. I met this kid on the weekend who was so stoked with the board he said it was the most fun he had ever had on a skateboard! he was about 15 or 16. He wants to buy one of my spare boards and reckons he is going to save up hard for it

Here is a pic of one of the kids i skate with a lot at the park he's a real ripper.....

http://www.concretesurf.co.nz/forum/a...ic.php?pic_id=153
slob-air
Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
I like to think of what we do at ground level to be corruption. We corrupt the status quo and open minds every single session.

The kids are stoked.
Keep At It
Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:28 pm Reply with quote
In an average month how many skaters do you figure you preach a different side of skateboarding (ie slalom, longboarding, pool, vert, freestyle) to?

Zero. I don't like kids. Just kidding. Cool story. Most of the kids at the parks I go to pretty much already know what's up. My question is this. Would you older guys seriously give the smaller more popsicle shaped decks a go? Not take one run, and blow it off. But give the thing a serious try for a few sessions to see if there is an advantage, and maybe try more street type stuff. Maybe ride a more narrow pool deck to see the advantage of a smaller board for airs and such. Like I said, not just try and blow it off. But use it a number of times until you get used to it.
sbeehre
Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 11 Jun 2003 Posts: 150 Location: Hamilton, New Zealand
Keep At It wrote:
Would you older guys seriously give the smaller more popsicle shaped decks a go? Not take one run, and blow it off. But give the thing a serious try for a few sessions to see if there is an advantage, and maybe try more street type stuff. Maybe ride a more narrow pool deck to see the advantage of a smaller board for airs and such. Like I said, not just try and blow it off. But use it a number of times until you get used to it.

good call there man! i rode a powell 8" popsicle in the mid 90's when i got back into skating and i tried to skate street.... but it just didnt feel right and being surfer tranny riding just feels right. I did a search one day on the net for old school skateboards and found you could buy them!! i had to get one and havent looked back
civilian2b
Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 04 Aug 2004 Posts: 1631 Location: *IN* The Deathbox
great thread!

i had my first run in with this one kid yesterday...he'd take a quick run at the bowl and immediately ask his friend how high he got..

i asked him if he wanted to try my board, and his eyes all light up and he's all 'really?...you sure?"..i said yea...HERE!!! and practically threw it him..so he heads over to the smaller bowl to 'get a feel for it'

now keep in mind when he's in the big bowl all he was doing was taking a quick run and at the end doing a small little layback slide (on the flat)

so he drops into the smaller bowl and carves it all proper-like and as he's rolling back up the waterfall i tell him to bust a layback on the tranny and

and he plants his hand right at the beginning of the transition and proceeds to fully extend his 10-year-old frame...this kid is about 5'6" and i swear, he looked some some 10' giant doing this layback...so he's out there..and he bring it back in and starts to lose it, but he ends up doing a quick 180 on the flat and he recovered fine...

--rock!!

he walked over to me and the kid had his 'stoke' turned up to eleven...

so now he hits up the big bowl and hits the tile for the first time ever and then repeats that layback slide from earlier....nothing but style...

this kid had the equivilent of about 37 orgasms....in a row

..it felt good converting a kid and showing that the soul's in the bowl!!
Buck Toff
Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:07 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
I can't help but being a bit of a "skate evangelist" ha ha. After I got a new board (A new Jay Adams with my old Thunders and also Shitfires and Rockets bearings), I'll let any kid try my ride, 'cause I know they'll be blown away by the speed and ride. They almost always come back with a smile and a "I just learned something cool" look on their face.

Only problem: many kids, especially the older ones, are freaked out by loose trucks. But I tell 'em they have to have loose trucks in the bowl, so they should loosen them a quarter or half turn every week so they don't notice the change.
The Green Monkey
Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:49 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Joined: 15 Jun 2002 Posts: 14107 Location: Fucking a giant scorpion, duh.
I don't know if I'd use the word 'preach' to describe my behavior, but I certainly let every interested kid ride all my decks that I'm not riding at the time if they want. Sometimes I can tell that they're curious but a little apprehensive, so I occasionally have to give them a little encouragement to sack up ("Ride my board and I'll let you come sit in the back of my van with me--I have lots of candy..."). Just kidding. Although, one time I completely innocently asked a kid who was eyeing my quiver (BDS LB, Hustler, Skatercult 1.5) if he wanted to ride one of my big ones. AC immediately jumped on the sexual innuendo, as you might imagine.

Some of the kids are definitely freaked out by loose trucks, but Seismics seem to really mesmerize most of the braver ones who give it more than a cursory ride back and forth in a straight line on flat ground...

Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Just my two cents.......

When we were kids how many skaters(besides freestylers) showed us something new? We are either ahead of the game or complete nerds-only time will tell.

a year from now when some kid rides up on a Hustler and Shitfires I would love to say......."man, you're sooooooo 2003".

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next