SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  VALUE OF A SPECIFIC SKATEBOARD  »  Whatz it worth..Z-Flex Team Deck?
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

Whatz it worth..Z-Flex Team Deck?

z-boycollector
Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Mint Undrilled white red and yellow multicolor Jay Adams Teamrider. J.A. personal deck circa 77-78.
GRIM SHADY
Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 4:57 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Joined: 16 Jul 2002 Posts: 1311 Location: Damn, this thing got tet-tris
$1,000-$2,500...dont forget to factor whimsical variables.
z-boycollector
Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Why would a Rare team model of one of the best 70's riders go for less than a mint DT Biniak Bullet? Don't figure. I never thought Biniak was that awsome of a skater and certianly didn't make any of the Top 10's on the skateboarder Mag skater of the year back in the day. I know people like those graphics but those boards were also mass produced. I remember seeing a picture of Jay at some park in California in Skateboarder riding a Yellow Adams Z with red and white on the bottom. I thought he had painted it or something. I really never knew there was such a thing as a Team deck until I started collecting the DogTown stuff a few years back. I paid a hell of alot more the 2 grand for the deck, But what the hell. It's in my collection and I like it. Thanks for the imput.
Smakutus
Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 10 Dec 2001 Posts: 2932 Location: Meechigan.. Collect and Destroy!
In Michigan back in 1978 nobody skated Z Flex boards. Everyone wanted a DT or an Alva deck though. So to me the Z flex stuff just isn't nearly as cool.

Outt..
Jeff.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
www.spyhillskates.com
Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Gotta agree there. Jay Adams was cool, but his father-in-law's company made lame looking plastic boards � not coming close to an OG Dogtown deck with Wes Humpston art on it, but that's just my opinion. Also, how can anyone be sure that a "mint" team board was Jay's "personal" deck. How was it his personal board if he never even set it up?
oldskoolrulz
Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Grim shady is right on the money, too many wariables to put an exact figure on it. Condition definitely a major variable, being undrilled a big plus for this era of decks. I'd like to believe ya that it was ja's personal deck, but would want more proof than just words, sorry. If you could get jay to back up what you're saying(pics, something on paper, etc.) then I think it's worth between $1500-$2000, jmho. But then you got to find the idiot like myself who'll pay that much for a glamorized piece of plastic!

Anyway, sounds like an awesome board, my drill would LOVE to get hold of it
MasterPlan
Posted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 2:29 am Reply with quote
Not many of you may know oldskoolrulz as he has laid low here in the forum, but I know who this is and he knows '70's boards like no one else...whatever he says goes as far as I'm concerned!

On this topic, I think it boils down to preference. There is no arguing who the better skater was. However, you can't beat an Old '70's DT graphic. The Biniak, as well any 70's DT board, will always win based on style alone. The z-flex, although a significant hunk of skateboarding history, is just not the better looking board.

Shallow, yep! But true, nonetheless!
z-boycollector
Posted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 7:01 am Reply with quote
Good points all around. I rode Z-Flexs up until the first DT boards appeared in the Mags and HAD TO HAVE ONE OF THOSE. I was drawing DT graphics on an old Makaha and Logan before Wes and Jim started marketing their boards with the cross. I see your point but being a Z-Flex lover and being associated with a few other guys out there that also really like them I was really happy to score this deck. Every Z-Flex collector wants a team deck, Black z and white z in their collection, much as a DT collector must have one of each style as well. I think we will be seeing some cool stuff from Wes's bulldogskate.com soon. Also Jim Muir's dogtownskateboards are soon to be exclusivly manufactured and distributed by Steve Rocco at Dwindle and will form a new Dogtown team. I'm hoping they might get smart and reissure some of the classics.
oldschoolkyle
Posted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 7:42 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Joined: 01 Apr 2002 Posts: 6278 Location: St. Petersburg, FL
NO... NO... Not Rocco! Please No!!!! AAAAHHHH... LOL
slob-air
Posted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
I've seen the first run of DT decks... they're horrible. Talk about laming out a graphic and diluting a brand-name.

So sad.

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next