SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  SKARFING MATERIAL  »  Kitchen gadgets and googaws
Page 1 of 3    Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Kitchen gadgets and googaws

The Green Monkey
Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:00 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Joined: 15 Jun 2002 Posts: 14107 Location: Fucking a giant scorpion, duh.
I'd like to get everyone's input on what gadgets, utensils, tools, etc., that they do and do not like.

THM and I have a bazillion dollars worth of gift certificates at every sort of Bloodbath 'n Beyond type of store under the sun, and there's at least one other person around here (I forgot who) who is tying the knot soon, so I'm sure they'll be in a similar situation. I wish I had thought of asking for gift certificates from Home Despot...

So, what things do you have that you really like?

Really hate?

I would caution anyone away from getting a Pyrex spatula. It's got a clear Lexan handle, and a clear flipper/blade. It's also got a little guard "that allows the handle to rest on the bowl without slipping into it." What they neglect to mention is that it makes mixing with the spatula very unpleasant. It's got rather sharp corners that dig into your fingers. Pyrex very well may get a letter from me, that spatula sucks so bad.

http://www.microwavecookingforone.com...yrexSpatulas.html

Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:40 pm Reply with quote
I just got a kick ass coffee/espresso maker that grinds up the beans for you and leaves a layer of foam on top of the coffee. It even has a timer so I can wake up and smell the coffee.

My wife is a Hello Kitty freak. She got us this toaster that burns Hello Kitty's face into the toast...Damn, I really hate that thing.

Member #388
TEAM_PING_AMORONE
Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 07 Jan 2002 Posts: 8345 Location: in front of a computer
@305
ROTFLMAO !!!!!! (Hello Kitty toaster)

A.

Homer: "Wooo whooo! That sounds like a wager!"
MMS
Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 03 Jul 2003 Posts: 15097 Location: Heaven or Hell...kinda hard to tell.
Monkey...get good knives. If you grill or BBQ (there's a difference) get some good tongs..nothing too flexy...Bean grinders are cool....A killer blender for the frozen fruity drinks is always a welcome addition to any party...

Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:27 am Reply with quote
We already have a good coffee maker, and I've got most of Grandpa Joy's knives, including the bone handled carving set that I've always coveted, so that's definitely taken care of, as he was a maniac in the kitchen, and THM has been picking up random Wusthofs here and there for a while, but the tongs are something I may have overlooked, as we don't have a place to BBQ or grill at our current place. I have a couple of decent BBQ sets from Marlboro, but neither of them came with tongs. I'll put tongs on the list.

I think we may have received a blender, but I'm not sure. We do have two Smoothie machines, one regular and one Jumbo, and you can make some wicked drinks with those things, so I'd recommend one of them to anyone.

http://www.kohls.com/products/product...3Efolder_id=18083

I think I shall pass on the Hello Kitty toaster.

Keep 'em coming, it's appreciated...

Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:03 am Reply with quote
I was just thinking over the weekend how I LOATHE kitchen gadgets...while diggin in the drawer for some tongs actually - very few are worth a damn.

My first thought was QUALITY knives, but you've got them covered it seems. What about a good sharpening stone and a steel? I go to some peoples kitchens and find knives that I could fall on and not get cut - sharp is best. *Buy ONE more knife - a ceramic chef's knife - I've got 2 and they rule the kitchen.

Next: the OXO line of kitchen hand stuff is great - can opener (electric suck, just take up space), micro grater (for all the zesting you do...), spoons (slotted and solid), spatula (a PYREX spatula?...c'mon Steve -),
salt / pepper grinder (fresh ground anything rules, except skin...) - OXO:
http://www.oxo.com/home.php

Cusinart Grind and Brew thermal coffee maker. Rocks. Black, silver or red (I like the red).

Cookware: get 3 sizes of pyrex dishes - 9x9, 12x14, 14x18 (+/-); a set of nesting stainless mixing bowls, 3 sizes white round casserole dishes w/ lids, a Lodge cast iron skillet (big/heavy), All-Clad set of pots & pans (calphalon if you don't want to spend the big $) - screw non stick anything, just learn to cook --- shit scrapes off and doesn't work anyway...

Don't buy an apron that says "BAM" on it. Wait for the S&B ones to come out...do get kichen towels, some plain white dishes (forget the designs...), toster oven (not the slots one), and a 18" double headed dildo (just checking to see if you are paying attention - strike that last item).

Quality bath towels last a LONG time. Cheap ones don't.

Same w/ sheets - higher the thread count the better - cotton only.

Why do I know all this? I fuckin' got married 14+ years ago and have tions of crap in my house...plus went to cooking school and did a decade in the kitchen. Plus, I want to tie Martha Stewart to a prison bunk and give her the mop handle ---

Oh, buy a stock pot - bigger than you need - great for big batch o chili, lobsters, soup, lots o pasta, ...

Good luck. Hold THM's hand while you shop - she puts up w/ a lot.

Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:22 am Reply with quote
Cool. Thanks for the reviews, Flush!

The Pyrex spatula was a gift, and now you know what to get for people you don't like. Something that, on the surface, seems like a nice gift, but that turns out to be useless and painful.

The OXO stuff is always a good fallback.

I already have two aprons, but an S&B one would be pretty dope. One has a bandito-looking chili pepper on it (bandoleros, 5 o'clock shadow, pistols blazing) that says "Tastebuds? We don't need no steenking tastebuds!?!?" and another one that says "Chairman of the Bordeaux", which was a gift.

Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 2:42 pm Reply with quote
OK, so I fucking CUT myself w/ my ceramic blade last night...which made me wonder if you & THM had been shopping for
gear -

I'm OK, would rather get cut than burnt in the kitchen anyday (which also happened last week - ouchie...)

what have you scored for the Monkey Cage?

Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Nothing yet...

Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 3:04 pm Reply with quote
bottle opener and cork popper..

most any other cooking i use chopsticks/.

Page 1 of 3    Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next