SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  VIDEO & IMAGES  »  so how DO i take some killer skate shots
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

so how DO i take some killer skate shots

civilian2b
Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:02 am Reply with quote
Joined: 04 Aug 2004 Posts: 1631 Location: *IN* The Deathbox
seriously though...do you guys just shoot on a stricly 'auto' mode..or do you open up the aperature a little or what...just trying to get some tips..i figure with a digi, the biggest thing to get use to would be the delay in digi's

anybody pro's out there using 25mm slr's? what setting are you using

thanks
-justin
ShackleMeNot
Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm still trying to figure out if this is sarcastic or not, lol.

Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:48 pm Reply with quote
well, usually if you have a nice camera, you will get nice pictures, but the best way to get good pictures is take them with good skaters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Queue
Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Seth is right about the "good subjects" concept.

In addition, take LOTS and LOTS of shots. You will delete/throw away 80-90% but the others will be good.

Q
ShackleMeNot
Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:51 am Reply with quote
As far as slr's go, get something with a good fps sequence rate, like 4-5 or better, and use fisheye. For shots where fisheye just looks terrible, use a telephoto from a few yards away. As stated by queue, shoot alot more than you think you want to. The average return of good shots is 10%. If you shoot a roll of 36 shots on film, expect 3-6 to be very good shots, the rest you'll probably toss. Same with digital. But as far as most street skating goes, as well as a lot of ramp and pool, fisheye is the key, and make sure you light your subject properly. 2 off camera flashes usually do the trick. Now, i admit i may not know what i'm talking about, but my buddy tom shoots for me all the time, and he gets some killer shots using these techniques

Posted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:27 am Reply with quote
run about 1600 speed film
ShackleMeNot
Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 3:03 am Reply with quote
ok LL, that has to be the best avatar ever

Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:10 pm Reply with quote
OK , well the first thing depend on what kind of photo work you want to do .If it's personnal you got to keep your material .If it's more professional , you will have to buy many many things .A new body with a high flash sync and some high power flashes with some radio slaves that will fire the flashes taking photos far from the spot .
With the gear you own i would say it's better to take some photos when the weather is quiet sunny , this way you will be able to get a good enough speed .
That's it ...of course always reject auto mode , that's what i do .
You can find many answers on this webs www.skateboardphotography.com

Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:28 pm Reply with quote
frontside wrote:

You can find many answers on this webs www.skateboardphotography.com

Nice Site.
Cement Roots
Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:47 pm Reply with quote
I find knowing your subjects lines help a bunch.... If your using a digital camera that has shutter lag, one work around is to know where your subject is going to pull that move your looking to shoot, first focus on this spot by pushing the shutter down halfway, once the camera is focused make sure your finger keeps the shutter button halfway, follow your subject (this is called panning) till he/she hits the spot where you focused then snap the shot and keep panning past the shot a bit. this also helps give the shot a nice feel of action and speed. this shot below was taken with a Sony S85 (not a real fancy digi cam)

for more pics i've taken check out http://skategeezers.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next