SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  DOWNHILL / SPEEDBOARDING / LONGBOARDS  »  short for long
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

short for long

stalker
Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:33 pm Reply with quote
maybe ot, but i've been skating a long board (43'') for about three years, and have recently switched to a deathbox hackett. i've been playing around on it for a week now, street only (there are NO trannies round here). man, that thing is short. i'm using 65mm kryptos and some old 9'' indies w/ soft bushings. any recommendations on this setup? any suggestions on riding style? i'm a little unhappy about the narrow stance, i could ollie my longboard, but can't get down with it on the db, feels like a whole new move. i know practice will do, but any tips for riding a short board? thx, stalker
Stubbs
Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 12:07 am Reply with quote
You ruined yourself on the longer wheelbase. I know because I did the same thing years back. I am not comfortable on anything below about 17.5". You can get your short board ride feeling good again but it's going to take some time with that board by itself for a while.
letsgoskatepool
Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 12:33 am Reply with quote
stubbs, i totally agree. i used to ride short wheelbased boards for the longest time, but once i started learning about what is out there, my wheelbase has grown. but what i have found is that i am having a lot more trouble navagating tight pools with an 18" wheelbase! right now my TPS model, which i use for my pool missions, feels tiny! but i have been making myself use it as the pool season begins to come around.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
ShackleMeNot
Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 3:27 am Reply with quote
I never really paid attention to wheelbase sizes until early this year when I bought an Alva squaretail to ride. Set it up thinking it would ride similar to My SC Kendall that i had been riding and boy was I off. I'm used to the 14-14.5 wb of popsicles and i was not ready at all for the bigger stance on that board. can't even ollie higher than a deck on it, lol. decent for mellow pools tho

Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:27 am Reply with quote
ok thx guys i think i'll keep on trying and get some pads on in case i stomp on the nose kick accidently- that's what happened yesterday, bad wrist now...
Stubbs
Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 12:06 pm Reply with quote
It is definitely harder to navigate a bigger board, especially in tight trannys. But, I figure if you can make your big board do what your small boards does you are doing something right.
letsgoskatepool
Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 12:10 pm Reply with quote
totally, do you ride your hustler in tight pools?? i can do somestuff with my 40" in tighter pools, but pretty much only carve and do like scratch grinds.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Stubbs
Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 12:14 pm Reply with quote
The Hustler is the shortest board I ride, period. Shallows are the toughest.
PlayGod
Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 12:39 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
It's two distinctly different riding styles.

When I ride a longboard... 17" plus wheelbase, I ride with front foot angled behind the front truck, most weight on my front foot. Most carve and pump action happens with the back foot. It's more of a surfing style.

When I ride shorter wheelbases, particularly if they are under 15", I ride mostly with front foot angled on top of the front truck, some toes on the nose kick, and weight shifted back. Carving and pumping use both legs, but the front foot can help to pull the board through the arc.

I used to have to be extra careful when riding a shorter board (going off the front), but it's easier now that I've gotten used to moving my feet around on the board and making sure that I adjust my stance. You really have to pay attention if you are pushing on a short board, to make sure you move your foot back behind the front truck.

On the road flats and downhills, I think it's more useful to have the wider, rearward or centered stance of a longboard. Getting comfortable with moving around on the board while it's in motion is good no matter what size you are riding.

I can't ollie worth a shit on anything with a 16" or greater wheelbase.
AlvaCollector
Posted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:15 am Reply with quote
I remember when I got my first 36" deck. Fell in love with that old Alva caddy. Just felt comfortable with the wider stance. Well, after about 6 months of riding it I decided to hop on a normal sized board(CW Naked Raygun). I had the hardest time just getting out of the drive way of my condo. The back end of my board kept coming off the ground when I went to push. I keep a Gringo Gibson set up for messing around in the driveway here at the house but my day-to-day set up is a 36".

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next