Page 2 of 3    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Slumgullian

AlvaCollector
Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:54 pm Reply with quote
um, isn't that called Goulash?
The Green Monkey
Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:14 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Joined: 15 Jun 2002 Posts: 14107 Location: Fucking a giant scorpion, duh.
I think that goulash is a pretty generic term, kind of like how casserole is. Several of the recipes I found for goulash are definitely similar though, but for some reason when I think of goulash, I'm thinking corn, peas, carrot medallions, six kinds of beans, etc.

Whether you call it slumgullion, goulash, or Jeff, it's still a pretty tasty meal.

Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:18 am Reply with quote
The Goulash I grew up on was Ground Beef, tomato soup, onion, Basil + Oregano, Salt + Pepper & elbow macoroni.

I'm sure there are tons of different versions so you're probably right about the "generic" term.
The Green Monkey
Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:18 pm Reply with quote
THM has pointed out to me that this is a goulash recipe, and what I was thinking of with all of the assorted veggies is succotash, not goulash.

Potato, tomato...

Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 09 Aug 2002 Posts: 4822 Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Why so Anti-Rice?

Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:11 pm Reply with quote
In my world, there is no place for rice or vanilla ice cream, and, for the most part, water.

All three are nothing without something being added to them. They're building blocks, not the end product. With rice, (with the notable exception of sushi rolls and a few other things, like Rice Krispie treats), I'd rather skip the masturbation and just eat whatever goes on top of the rice.

Vanilla ice cream is an abortion. It's only acceptable if it's actually some other kind of ice cream, like pralines 'n cream. Vanilla ice cream all by itself is useless.

Water is only acceptable if there is absolutely nothing else to drink. There is no condition I can envision in which I would prefer water to some other "enriched water" beverage.

Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:22 pm Reply with quote
What a load of balderdash!

Rice is sooooo vital! I say you've got it backwards, hombre. What are red beans without rice? What is gumbo, shrimp creole, or etoufee without rice? They're nothing but toppings! It's like hitting the ice cream bar at the buffet and filling up a cone with nothing but cookie crumbs or jimmies. Preposterous, I tell ya!

Vanilla ice cream is like Sonic Youth to me. Don't love 'em. Don't hate 'em. I'm aware of thier existence & the fact that some folks like 'em...Whatever.

Water is simply awesome, and, much like fresh grouper, it needs no explanation as to it's radness. It's a no-brainer.

But, to be fair, I'll give you a few of my food no-no's as an offering of rebuttal.

1. Oysters. I've had 'em every way you can serve 'em. Fuck Oysters.
2. Mushrooms. They smell like cum & taste worse.
3. Sushi. Big fuckin' deal. Anything will taste good with enough ginger, wasabi & soy sauce on it.

Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:34 pm Reply with quote
zodiac13 wrote:
What a load of balderdash!

Rice is sooooo vital! I say you've got it backwards, hombre. What are red beans without rice? What is gumbo, shrimp creole, or etoufee without rice? They're nothing but toppings! It's like hitting the ice cream bar at the buffet and filling up a cone with nothing but cookie crumbs or jimmies. Preposterous, I tell ya!

I think we're vehemently agreeing here. Rice is nothing but a bit player who happens to occasionally share the stage with some All Stars. Perhaps I was a bit overbroad when I said that I'd rather just eat around the rice, but I stand by my position that rice is nothing but a coat-tail rider that can be left as easily, if not more easily, as it can be taken.

zodiac13 wrote:

Vanilla ice cream is like Sonic Youth to me. Don't love 'em. Don't hate 'em. I'm aware of thier existence & the fact that some folks like 'em...Whatever.

I can get behind your position here. I'll fight rabid vanilla proponents to the death, however. They have nothing to support such a position, and if it were up to me, vanilla ice cream would be illegal (even, especially, on pie!), and we'd have dope in the grocery freezer case instead.

zodiac13 wrote:

Water is simply awesome, and, much like fresh grouper, it needs no explanation as to it's radness. It's a no-brainer.

Can you give me five (I'll settle for three) situations in which water is preferable to any and all of the following?

Beer
Gatorade/"energy drink"/punch/etc.
Soda (your preference of type)
Booze/cordials/etc.
Mixed drinks
Tea
Coffee
Wine

I don't exactly disagree with you about grouper, but I'm not really much of a fish person, unless I'm somewhere where it could conceivably have come from that afternoon. I guess living in the midwest makes me more partial to things you would find on a farm than in the planet's toilet. I'll definitely eat seafood when I'm travelling, but otherwise, if I'm at a restaurant and there's a cow on the menu, I'm eating him or his pig buddy. However, I will eat scallops, lobster, salmon, and New England clam chowder until I puke.

zodiac13 wrote:

But, to be fair, I'll give you a few of my food no-no's as an offering of rebuttal.

1. Oysters. I've had 'em every way you can serve 'em. Fuck Oysters.
2. Mushrooms. They smell like cum & taste worse.
3. Sushi. Big fuckin' deal. Anything will taste good with enough ginger, wasabi & soy sauce on it.

1. Oysters. They're an interesting novelty. I'll eat one, two, or three of them at a time. They're not a meal though.
2. Mushrooms. No argument there, but I have been trying for a while to come (haha) to appreciate them, and I'm making progress. I don't want them on my burger, but I'll eat them if they're in something. I am also trying to appreciate pickles, but have made no progress whatsoever. Fuck pickles.
3. Sushi. I like sushi, but I must admit that the major part of the attraction for me is the wasabi brain spike. There's a place here that makes a wicked Philadelphia roll (some run of the mill roll type but with Philly cream cheese inside as well) that is fucking delicious. I just may FedEx you some packed in dry ice.

Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Reasons for water:
1. Water dosen't leave you all phlegmmy when you drink it. It's clean and refreshing.
2. Drinking a giant glass of water right before you go to bed, after a night of drinking booze, helps immensely with the hangover. You may try and use the Gatorade argument on this one, but, it still provides unneeded nutrients, salts, and sugars (hangover producer!!!) that will go unused while you sleep. You're only taking in, and using, the water from the beverage, so, why not cut out the garbage that will only aid in making you feel like crap?
3. Water makes ice. Tea cubes, or Gatorade cubes in your bourbon would just be gross. (However, I'll concede to Cranberry cubes in vodka. Nice!)
4. You are made up of 70% water. You are not made up of 70% Drambuie.
5. Diet Rite didn't come out of the hose in the front yard after a game of home run derby.

Also, are you referring to all pickled products, or just the pickles themselves. Either way, you're dead wrong.

Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:05 pm Reply with quote
The Green Monkey wrote:
THM has pointed out to me that this is a goulash recipe, and what I was thinking of with all of the assorted veggies is succotash, not goulash.

Potato, tomato...

Succotash? sounds like a Looney Tunes recipe to me.

Page 2 of 3    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next