SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  GENERAL DISCUSSION FORUM  »  So I started skating again after 10 years...
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

So I started skating again after 10 years...

dushoni
Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 28 Jul 2004 Posts: 2224 Location: The Foot Of DavO's Bed
..last week.

I bought a "popsicle stick" blank board from a local shope called "Active Surf and Skate" with Indy trucks (because that's what i skated when I was a kid) and "Spitfire" wheels (it was the first time I had heard of them)

This board is to small and it was the largest board they had without moving up to a re-issue of an old-school deck.

My first trip to the local skate park was not fun at all. The board just doesn't feel right. To damn small.

Am I a old-fart if I get a re-issue and custome order wheels and trucks from the 80's?

I miss my damn Santa Cruz decks with OJII's from my childhod dammit!

I slammed my head (thank god I was wearing a helmet) on the side of the wall at the park when I tried to drop in (after of 10 years, i learned that trying to drop in on a large ramp may be moving too fast) and have a headache 2 days later, I have 2 huge bruises on my right leg and a deep bruise on my palm.

Oh, and I can barely ollie

It kind of depressed me.

The saddest thing is...I'm only 25 years old.
Christophish
Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Don't trip about riding a big board (reissue or not). Don't have to ride just reissues either. Check companies like Red Kross (Black Label), Shitbird (decks and the best wheels.... period), Skaterbuilt, etc. and you'll get the best of both worlds: old shapes on newer concaves with kick noses, etc. Just check what looks right and go from there. Better yet, find some other "old" guys in your area (this forum is a good place to start) and try some of their rides. Boards in the eighties had wheelbases of at least 15 inches, which IMO is the most important factor when it comes to how a board feels, next to trucks. Newer popsicles, even their "wide" ones still have wheelbases around 14 inches. Yet there are many popsicle shapes with larger proportions including WB. Remember, you ride for yourself, so ride what feels right.

Check Milehighskates.com to see SOME of what's available....
Kehraus
Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 10:11 pm Reply with quote
You can get a good used old school rider set-up on ebay for less than $100. New grip and you are ready to go.

Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 10:45 pm Reply with quote
I tried one of those popsicle decks when I started skating again too. The biggest problem was that damn wheelbase. There are a ton of companies out there that make decks with decks with some shape and size to them. Stay away from the popsicles. Unless you're going to nollie heelflip crooked grind a triple set's rail.

Everyone has their own preferences when it comes to what they ride and how they ride. I tried a few set ups until I found the "magic" one. Now I ride Factory13's 9" decks with a 15" wheelbase, Indy 169's, Shitbird Blackfartz wheels, Rockin' Ron's bearings, Edger griptape & 1/8 soft risers.

Have fun.
dushoni
Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 28 Jul 2004 Posts: 2224 Location: The Foot Of DavO's Bed
My buddy was telling me that Deathbox boards might be the direction I needto head...possibly Red Kross.....

Any thoughts?
Hal
Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:06 pm Reply with quote
There's tons of companies and mail order places that cater to us "old" guys nowadays. First, I'd direct you to www.milehighskates.com It's almost an exclusively old school supplier...and the owner posts here at S&B (Mark, do I get any freebies for the plug?..haha). Also check out....

www.blacklabelskates.com
www.deathbox.com
www.americannomadskates.com
www.alvaskates.com
www.bulldogskates.com
www.gringoskateboards.com
www.afroman.com
www.factory13.bowlrider.com/
theshralpster
Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 12:44 am Reply with quote
definitely check out Bulldogskates.com. they are the originals from the whole dogtown "movement" I also highly reccomend afroman skates for highquality "long" boards and some smaller shapes. If you are interested i have a Bulldogskates Buddy carr model for sale. It is a popsicle shape, 9"wide with a 15.5" wb. I dont ride boards that small and after a while you will dial the setup that is right for you.
mitchz
Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:15 am Reply with quote
dushoni,Bulldogskates.com
has what your looking for
Oldschool riders-flat decks,bigfoots
its an oldschoolers paradise
AlvaCollector
Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:49 am Reply with quote
Gringo Skateboards.....Get the old school shaped Gibson, you won't be sorry.
joepopp
Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Try the Bull Dog Skate Buddy Carr Model. It has a great combo of old school width (9") and a new school kick nose. I tried I bunch of stuff when returning and this board seems to work the best!!!

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next