SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED:  »  Hello One and All.....Welcome to our new forum!
Page 2 of 3    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Hello One and All.....Welcome to our new forum!

When you're at a skateboard park, what's the first question you get from folks?

How high can you ollie?  
9%
  [ 2 ]  9%

Can I try your "old school" board?  
23%
  [ 5 ]  23%

How long have you been skateboarding?  
66%
  [ 14 ]  66%

Total Votes : 21
WEDGE
Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:14 am Reply with quote
Joined: 14 Dec 2001 Posts: 2176 Location: Hebron , Connecticut
most people kinda just look at me wierd and ignore me....I am a big guy(6'1 240) and 40.... people I guess dont know what to make of me when I show up at a park.

also I think that the Concrete wave mag is the Skateboarder of our time. I cant wait for each issue and reread them til I can quote them. The other mags prety much suck...I could give a steamy crap about rails and street...but yours is exactly what I like to read. The articles on the photographers each issue is pretty cool also...love those killer shots of the old outdoor parks. masonite sucks hard compared to an oldschool type crete park.

I hope the mag gets bigger(more pages) even if it is advertising that fills it. I love the ads.
skategeezer
Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:27 am Reply with quote
Few comments here...

Kicker, I think you are bringing some valid points to the discussion here. Will folks care?

My take - 1 million dvd's sold of Dogtown, 700,000 VHS tapes
that is HUGE. perhaps when you compare it to a Jim Carrey movie, but for a documentary on skateboarding in the 70's...that's HUGE

Spoke to Lords insider on Thursday. He said the studio suits at paramount have seen the dailes...some of the unedited work and they were VERY EXCITED. THey felt the movie was going to be a hit. So, if the suits think that this film has potential, they are going to be ok with adding more marketing dollars...

which leads me to my last point...

marketing RULES THE DAY in skateboarding and the rest of the world (in most cases!) it's all the kids respond too. so, if a movie is marketed correctly, it will be everywhere. SOny spent 5 million to market Dogtown film...I figure Paramount will be in for at least 20 million...

this means posters, billboards, tv, radio, newspaper, magazine, contests to the point of SATURATION...

what are these guys marketing? a cool film that has skateboarding/youth culture/rebel streak/etc. etc.

Catherine Hardwicke did a good job with 13. Not a nice film, but well done.

My gut tells me that she was given a lot of room to play with here and the studio has MUCH bigger plans for her.

Other prediction. One day you will see Stacy Peralta on stage at the Oscars accepting an Academy Award. Perhaps not for this film, but for something big....
Smakutus
Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 11:42 am Reply with quote
Joined: 10 Dec 2001 Posts: 2932 Location: Meechigan.. Collect and Destroy!
Is she the one that fell into the new dogbowl and hurt herself?

Outt..
Jeff.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:52 am Reply with quote
i cant wait to see what kind of jems surface on ebay once this movie is made public
slob-air
Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:21 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
Smak - Yes, indeed, that was her. I think she has a better understanding of pool riding now... LOL!

Person who can't log-in - Studios, sadly, tend to destroy their "props" -though I'm sure several peices will makes it out and onto the bay.

Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:15 pm Reply with quote
actually, a lot of movies are now finding ebay to be an alternate funding source for the gargantuan budgets. numerous studios sell off the props in such a manner. as for the LOD stuff, i've seen the zephyr and alva prop boards. both look very nice and i'm sure a lot of those walked or rolled off the set upon completion of shooting a couple weeks back.

@ geezer - the typical way movies are marketed in dollars is the studio spends approximately the same in promotions that it cost to make the film. so if a film cost 20 million, they usually throw out about that much in promotion/advertising/marketing. granted, this isn't an across the board rule, but a general rule of thumb.
slob-air
Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for that, elfkicker. Good to know -and great to hear. It'd be cool to score some of that stuff.

Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Precede each question with "Mister?...........

1. Why is your board so big and shaped that way?

2. Can you ollie or kickflip on it?

3. Where do you get boards like that?

4. Are you old school?

5. How do you go so fast?

6. How long have you been skateboarding?"
slob-air
Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:19 am Reply with quote
Stubbs, you forgot my favourite: "Hey, that's my mom!!" LOL!

Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:27 am Reply with quote
Nope. I got this one last weekend while skating with my daughter at the park, though:

"Mister? Is that your daughter? How come her wheels are so big?"

She was riding 60mm Shitfire Blackfartz.

Page 2 of 3    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next