SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED:  »  Riding the wave
Page 1 of 1    

Riding the wave

Sixman
Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Hey Michael - thanks for taking the time to post on the boards.

I've heard you talk/post about the 'wave' of change coming and there's been some talk here about 'Lords', the difference CW is making, etc.

Can you share any thoughts/ideas on how or if this will change the industry from a business/market perspective? Just something I was thinking about and would like to hear what others think...

Miles

Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:08 pm Reply with quote
the more things change, the more they stay the same

I guess that we will eventually see if this old adage plays out in skateboarding...it might...but even if it doesn't fully come to fruition, there is no doubt in my mind that the genie is out of the bottle

the internet has done much to change things...dogtown film is also a huge catalyst...

the reality is that the rest of the industry is suffering financially...and money talks and bullshit walks...so, if there is money in opening up skateboarding and showcasing and developing other generes (ie slalom, pool, vert, ditch, freestyle, downhill, cruising etc) then the industry will look for ways to profit from these trends....

You can't expect the a 14 to 16 year old to immediately stop everything and begin riding in a bowl...or to start going through cones...but, every now and then, I see these kids...the core skaters who bust into some other area...and believe me, it's fantastic to see it happen.

I think A LOT of growth will come from skaters under the age 12....these are kids who are willing to try all types of skating...they have not been completely sold on street skating and have open minds...

the older guys out there are influencing things...but like water dripping on stone, it just takes time

finally, more and more females are starting to get involved...this is also a potenially lucrative market.

My belief is that there will be more changes over the next 12 months than there have been in the last 10 years....

we'll see....

Page 1 of 1