SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  SKARFING MATERIAL  »  Pizza poll
Page 2 of 3    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Pizza poll

OOO BABY, I like it:

delivered - national chain (Dominos, Pizza Hut,...)  
5%
  [ 1 ]  5%

grocery - heat n' eat (DiGiorno, Red Baron, Tony's, ...)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

local take out - mom n' pop (who's tops in your town?)  
84%
  [ 16 ]  84%

homestyle - roll your own (dough w/ that "special" sauce)  
5%
  [ 1 ]  5%

no thanks, I'm a lactose intolerant Kosher Vegan on Paxil  
5%
  [ 1 ]  5%

Total Votes : 19
theshralpster
Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Johns pizza in new york.
But none of this broadway shit.
You need to go to the original on bleeker(sp) in the village.
My parents take us there a lot, they used to eat there all of the time in college.
The Green Monkey
Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:22 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Joined: 15 Jun 2002 Posts: 14107 Location: Fucking a giant scorpion, duh.
SMN--What pizza joint?

Here in Bloomington, the pizza options are fairly limited compared to Champaign, especially since both towns are college towns, are approximately the same size, and are 45 miles apart.

Here, the best pizza is a place called Micheleo's. We order the Ozark, which has ground beef, bacon, tomato, onion, cheddar cheese, and barbecue sauce. It's damn good, but we usually eat it after we've been at the bar for 5 or 6 hours, so we're already dehydrated, so the amount of salt on that thing makes you feel thirstier than smoking an eighth of ditchweed, and no amount of beverage is enough to make it better. Plus, it seems to have about a 20% chance of giving me explosive diarrhea the following day, so I don't like to order it very often, and only when I am comfortable with the prospect of painting the bathroom ceiling all day long the next day.

Our other standby is Monical's, which is very thin crusted pizza, best enjoyed with a side of French dressing. You can find Monical's all over the place in downstate Illinois, and there are a couple in Wisconsin and Indiana as well.

Champaign has several great deep-dish and stuffed pizza joints. Papa Del's and Garcia's. Ask anyone who went to the U of I about Del's, and they'll get pissed at you for reminding them of what they're now missing. Sausage the size of your fist, and cheese you could strangle with.

Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:39 am Reply with quote
Joined: 07 Jan 2002 Posts: 8345 Location: in front of a computer
@Zodiac
I agree....but some of the not-so-big chains in Bham are good....Mellow Mushroom, Italian Pie, etc....I do like Dave's and DeVinci's in Homewood as well as New York Pizza....which brings me to a question since you are a chef yourself....what the hell does New York Pizza put in their sauce that makes it soooo good and different? Is it just sugar (what I heard)? Man, had it two weekends ago....mmmmmmmm. Also, Paterra's in Pelham makes a kickass pizza that will fill you up in 2 slices...thick muthas! (and their sandwiches rock like no place else!!!).

Amorone
mitchz
Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:28 am Reply with quote
theshralpster wrote:
Johns pizza in new york.
But none of this broadway shit.
You need to go to the original on bleeker(sp) in the village.
My parents take us there a lot, they used to eat there all of the time in college.

JOHNS is by far the best in the world,followed IMO bt Bens,on wooster st
Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:08 am Reply with quote
Johns is good and Ben's sicillian rocks, but come on guys. Everyone know's that Lombardi's easily destroys. First pizzeria in U.S. and A.! Nothing comes close.
theshralpster
Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Mitchz
i would have to say that lombardos is a second....but i have never been to bens.
zodiac13
Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 09 Aug 2002 Posts: 4822 Location: Birmingham, Alabama
@Amorone,
Where is Italian Pie? Never heard of it. Dave's is allright, I guess. I don't hate it. Cosmo's is garbage, although, for some reason, they can make a good calzone. Go figure. Rocky's is filth. Here's a tip for Rocky's: I'm all for hiring the handicapped, but don't let the burn-victim deliver the pies, okay?

New York Pizza, to me, is awesome because, unlike other joints, you can get the whole wheat crust at no extra charge. PLUS, they use FRESH garlic in their sauce. Not that minced shit floating in water or oil. Every decent red sauce recipe will have some amount of sugar in it.

Also, I'm not a Chef. I was never accreditted. I'm a cook, boy. Don't you forget it. Lotsa people in this burg like to fancy themselves "Chefs", but they ain't nothin' but cooks. There's 3 Chefs in this town. Chris Hastings, Frank Stitt & Daryl Borden. (I'm sure that "technically" there's more people who are actually Chefs, obviously, but, these guys are the only impressive talent I've run across so far.)
TEAM_PING_AMORONE
Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 07 Jan 2002 Posts: 8345 Location: in front of a computer
@Zods
Italian Pie is on 280 behind Wendy's in that strip mall. They have them in Louisiana too. Not sure where else.

Ok, Mr. Cook (geeez, try to show a guy a little respect for his craft and he jumps your shit)....you still didn't answer me...what the hell is in New York Pizza's sauce? I swear it tastes sweet-ish but something else too. Damn addictive.

Amorone

Last edited by TEAM_PING_AMORONE on Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:56 am; edited 1 time in total
zodiac13
Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 09 Aug 2002 Posts: 4822 Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Next time I go there, I'll pay more attention to the sauce. Like I said, though, It's definitely fresh garlic.

Just messin' around about the "Chef" thing. In my line of work, every asshole dunking fries considers themselves a "Chef".

Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 28 Jul 2004 Posts: 2224 Location: The Foot Of DavO's Bed
Local OC chain called Ameci's.

*drool*

Page 2 of 3    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next