SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  B.O.N.O.S.A.  »  I'm in deep shit
Page 4 of 4    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

I'm in deep shit

JayVo
Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:19 am Reply with quote
Man, I love my wife and it kills me to read all this drama and know that I too often put my love for skates before my integrity (I can be deceptive) and my love for her (If I loved her more than my skates, I'd do what is best for her/us not just what's best for me/my collection- right?) . I'm really working hard on living in a way that both my skates and my marriage vows can be at peace. I remember when she was my addiction and all I wanted was to know she would be in my life forever. Boy, when you get married you make alot of crazy promises don't ya?

We have an understanding that my skates do not affect our bank account. I have to be crafty and just trade or buy with funds generated straight from other skates or stickers or mags or whatever. I'm stoked I brought tons of my stuff from the 70's & 80's into adulthood with me. Recently I had to sell nearly 20 decks & completes in order to get a few high end rides I'd been dreamin & scamming for. My collection went down to less than a dozen now... but what a dozen they are!!! It was also tough doing a pricey deal right after Christmas when we were low on the cash flow, knowing that I had big funds going towards my personal selfish collecting. Sometimes I wish I could be happy with what I have and just hang 'em up & quit. I'll always ride tho. That seems to be cool with her.

But, I could live w/o my skates, not w/o her. I went to Sri Lanka to do tsunami relief and Biloxi, Mississippi for hurricane Katrina relief for families who had lost everything, even family members... I've seen how it looks to put things back in perspective, "We lost it all, but we're thankful to God we're still alive and together." One guy lost a high end car collection, like 17 cars worth millions of dollars. I wonder how it affected him?

Anyway...Rotsa Ruck with yer own love affairs: the wifey & the skates!
SkaterBonds
Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:56 am Reply with quote
It's easy for us to find reasons to buy things. I know what you mean, Jay. Sometimes we get so caught up in our interests that we lose grasp of the world around our hobby. Once in a mind set, it's easy to throw $1,000 at a skateboard, when in reality... We're doing just that... Throwing $1,000 at a skateboard!

The line must be drawn somewhere. One can say that it's okay, as long as you are satisfied and happy with what you have, but are we ever satisfied?

This is when it's a good idea to take a step back and follow some guidelines that you set for yourself. It doesn't matter what they are, some ideas work better for some people, but the principal matter is to find a system that works for you and actually follow it.

I think you did the right thing by downsizing your collection. I have done the same, but I am more satisfied with my collection, now that it's tuned to my liking.

I don't think anyone should necessarily stop collecting. There will be more skateboards in the future that may strike my attention and that I will want to purchase, but the idea is to fortify collecting with a sense of reality and prioritize what you truely want.

I like Lloyd's idea by making a list of 10 skateboards that you ultimately want, prioritize them and cut the list in half, only leaving the top 5 and concentrate on #1 first.

Sometimes, deals come up that may bring you to get #3 or #5 before #2 or #1, but the idea is to focus your wants into what you actually wanted in the first place.

Any time I have a large spending decision to make, I take that dollar amount, write it down, and write a list of 10 things that I could do with that money, prioritize it based on my needs first and the highest wants after and go from there.

I'm trying to come up with a 100% mathamatical formulated solution to prioritizing money and I have most of it figured out. I'm going to test my theory soon and see if I'm happy with the results.

As far as I'm concerned with juggling relationships and skateboards, I really don't put the two in the same boat. I just eliminate the possability of turmoil all together and remove my skateboard hobby from my ladies finances, completely. I'll tell her how much I spend, but she knows that I'm responsible enough to judge for myself and make the right descisions with my own money.

If I can't come up with enough money to do something that needs to be done, it's agreed that we are responsible for our own messes, so we get along great.

Put the skateboard funds in a different bank account that has nothing to do with the rest of your life, and you will be a happier person!
clchamp1
Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:10 pm Reply with quote
SkaterBonds wrote:

I'm trying to come up with a 100% mathamatical formulated solution to prioritizing money and I have most of it figured out. I'm going to test my theory soon and see if I'm happy with the results.

Dave, please share!

SkaterBonds wrote:

Put the skateboard funds in a different bank account that has nothing to do with the rest of your life, and you will be a happier person!

Amen - this is the only way to go. Give yerself a freakin allowance and stick with it. Prevents most of the issues.
gogomouse1
Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 4:55 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
my household is starting to reach the point of no return.... every time I get a package in the mail, she doesn't say anything, but sorta makes a face..... she does talk about "expenses" but I know what she's really talking about. Th emain thing is i come across with MORE than my share of the household bills, I earn more....so why should I feel guilty......maybe she's just a cunt, after all.
retarded monkee
Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 1:00 am Reply with quote
BINGO!!!
guntotingskatepunk
Posted: Tue May 23, 2006 2:24 pm Reply with quote
The best thing to do is to get a box at the ups store. That way you can go there anytime you damn well feel, unbox it, throw the box away, stick the deck in the trunk & the next time she's taking a crap, a shower or at the store, go retrieve said deck & stick it on the pile. No problemo.
Johnny Diablo
Posted: Fri May 26, 2006 10:30 am Reply with quote
My wife is geting fed up with packages showing up all the time. With me its scooter parts. I have 5 vintage intalian scooters in my garage... and well when the right part pops up on ebay....you dont know when it might surface again...sooooo

She asked me the other day how many skateboards I needed... since I could only use one at a time.

I had replaced my psycho stick warped deck with a kendal blank and won a 64 dollar street thing on ebay. What will she say when an X2 lucero shows up at my door someday? At what stage of build will she notice the halfpipe in the backyard?
BigPapaSD
Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Johnny Diablo wrote:

She asked me the other day how many skateboards I needed... since I could only use one at a time.

Haha! My wife says the same thing!
lloyd.park
Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:06 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Joined: 25 Jan 2005 Posts: 9700 Location: san jose, california
BigPapaSD wrote:
Johnny Diablo wrote:

just ask her the same question back sometime, but substitute some other word like shoes or jewelry or something else that is applicable in her case.

why am i even in this section???

BigPapaSD
Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:53 am Reply with quote
lloyd.park wrote:
BigPapaSD wrote:
Johnny Diablo wrote:

just ask her the same question back sometime, but substitute some other word like shoes or jewelry or something else that is applicable in her case.

why am i even in this section???

Pretty sneaky, I like that I'll try it!

Page 4 of 4    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4