SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  DOWNHILL / SPEEDBOARDING / LONGBOARDS  »  The mists of Avalon...
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

The mists of Avalon...

The Green Monkey
Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:50 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Joined: 15 Jun 2002 Posts: 14107 Location: Fucking a giant scorpion, duh.
Have any of you clowns ever ridden the Turner/3dm Avalons? I'm thinking of picking up a set of the 80a whites, mainly for cruising around, maybe some park usage occasionally when things are slippery.

Any thoughts or experiences?

Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:50 am Reply with quote
Quote:

On 2004-02-24 04:49, Letsgoskatepool wrote on bowlrider:
if you are using them for general cruising, you may be more interested in the avilas. they are larger and therefor have a higher top speed. either way, amazing wheels. i have the 80s in front and the 78s in the back. great combo. worth the money. http://www.3dm-sport.com . http://store.yahoo.com/3dm-sport/whavla80a.html . used them for park riding too, but if you are going to do a lot of round wall, then you may want to use a dremmel or something to make the inner lips conicle. but i havnt had any trouble yet!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
BillyBonebrake
Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:47 am Reply with quote
I have the 75mm Avilas 80a mounted on my landy big chief. I used to ride 70mm/78a abec11 flashbacks. The Avilas are awesome - super grippy, smooth, durable.
dangersticks
Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:16 am Reply with quote
Joined: 17 May 2003 Posts: 1594 Location: Bombora's, California
I rep for Turner/3dm. Avalons are awesome as a street cruising/slalom/somewhat downhill wheel. For bombing, I'd go with the Avilas at 75mm. My only gripe with the Avilas is that the back end tends to kick out under hard turns, so they should either be shaved down, or run Avalons in the rear (yes, it's safe to mix sizes - Richy Carrasco was doing it at JPL, which is a gnarly and fast hill).

The Avalons are a great wheel, to be sure, but I think I'd run a softer N�Sk��l in a park situation. If you're determined to run a 3dm wheel, try the Cambrias at 62mm.

Don't be afraid to mix duros. I always run a softer duro in the rear than I do in the front, by at least 5 points. Slim is running a 94a front wheel and a 78a rear wheel on his slalom board.

Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:24 am Reply with quote
Sold!

Thanks for the help. I was digging around on the interweb last night, and there was so much hype and praise for the 3dm wheels that I wanted to verify it from people I "know" rather than faceless, spandexed Swedish slalom cyborgs.

I don't plan on logging a ton of park time on them, I'm planning on picking up some other more park-oriented wheels for the same rig, so I can just switch out the shoes depending on what I'm planning on doing.

I also won't be doing any really aggressive hill bombing. Remember, I live in central Illinois. Our sled hills are made out of garbage around here. Seriously.

Thanks again...
Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:25 am Reply with quote
i ride mixed duro and mixed sized wheels on my longboard. i think the cambrias are only good in the 94a model. the others are too soft for the smallness of them. yeah, if you can shave the avila's a little it would help, but they are fine stock imo.
The Green Monkey
Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:25 am Reply with quote
Joined: 15 Jun 2002 Posts: 14107 Location: Fucking a giant scorpion, duh.
That was me. Silly work computer. What does it think I'm supposed to be doing?

TPS reports?

Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:15 pm Reply with quote
I recently got a set of light grey 68mm Avalons...Mint and wondering if I should actually ride them (after I paid about $60 for them...) What does 3DM mean by the way?

Will they give me a dream ride on my street longboard... That much better than Flywheels?

Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:15 am Reply with quote
they will give you a different ride than your flywheels. that was me two posts ago btw. not sure what 3dm means, but seismic owns the company. and i doubt you will get 60 for them (you got ripped off) i got a set for 35 at a race in january
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
atxJIMatx
Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 4:51 am Reply with quote
3 Dogs and a Monkey
Yeah, they are usually a little less than 60 a set (like 20.00 less) ; but they are very good wheels....

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next