SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  HOT DISCUSSIONS  »  The Fear…..
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

The Fear…..

pig city
Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:26 pm Reply with quote
I’ve been skating since the mid 80s. Always thrown myself into it with no real problems as I skate within my abilities. A little mini ramp, street, park etc.

Problem is last few times I have now hit the fear. Can’t do anything not even attempt an Ollie. Really strange I am 49 but don’t think the age has anything to do with it. Anyway taken my current board apart and set up a new shape with different wheels, hoping this breaks the curse.

Anyone else encountered this???
Buddur
Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 04 Aug 2012 Posts: 1095 Location: Western Pennsylvania
Get use to it. Seriously. I think it's an innate safety feature we all have that comes with age and subsequent diminishing agility. Keeps us from trying shit that could make us slam hard...like a survival instinct we didn't have back in the day. Sad but true, imo.

Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:33 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Yep. Had/have it too. I just learned to go with it. Just a cruzer now!👍🏻
zeno01
Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Buddur wrote:
Get use to it. Seriously. I think it's an innate safety feature we all have that comes with age and subsequent diminishing agility. Keeps us from trying shit that could make us slam hard...like a survival instinct we didn't have back in the day. Sad but true, imo.

Nailed it.
My only advice would be to get a set-up that you feel comfortable on, maybe pad-up.

Good luck, you are fighting your own brain!!! Don't forget to have fun!

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:07 am Reply with quote
Same here, but I don't think it has anything to do with age per se, but with injuries. After every injury, I struggle with some tricks that don't have necessarily anything to do with the injury itself. Plus, spending less times on the board makes you feel less confortable over a period of time. And while your body is still able to pull the trick, your mind will try to prevent it from doing so...

After the last 2 injuries, I'd say I have a bag of tricks that's not even 30% from what I did 10 years ago. Stuff like fs grinds in a pool seems impossible now ; I did them with ease (usually on the 1st run of the session) back then.

PyratMike
Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:20 am Reply with quote
I get what you're saying. I'm traveling for work and last night I hit a new park...I thought I was going to tear it up. I froze on lots of things I should be able to do. I even went so far that I ordered hip pads afterwards to feel more protected. I was pretty good at trying new stuff before breaking my elbow, now it's like if I'm on concrete I have to force my body to even do the tricks I already know. What makes it worse is that not fully commiting makes the falls that much worse.
obi
Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:05 pm Reply with quote
all of the above.....

I'm 50 now. I remember when I was 25 and renting a garage apartment from a nice couple. One day I was leaving with my skateboard and my landlord (who was 50 at the time and a hardcore cyclist) told me a story about a recent road ride and suddenly looking down at the highway on a descent and got freaked out at the pavement going by so fast. As cars were going by all he could focus on was what would happen if he went down. He had been riding all of his life and suddenly had this unexplainable fear messing with him.

I sort of politely blew it off, but now I'm dealing with the same issue in the back of my head every week at the vert ramp.

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:58 pm Reply with quote
pig city wrote:
I’ve been skating since the mid 80s. Always thrown myself into it with no real problems as I skate within my abilities. A little mini ramp, street, park etc.

Problem is last few times I have now hit the fear. Can’t do anything not even attempt an Ollie. Really strange I am 49 but don’t think the age has anything to do with it. Anyway taken my current board apart and set up a new shape with different wheels, hoping this breaks the curse.

Anyone else encountered this???

I think that every skater, ever, has encountered this at some point or another. Usually when coming off of a big injury; that's the worst. When I hurt my knee in '95 (torn ACL and MCL from skating a mini ramp), I was scared of my own shadow for a few months. Dropping in was torture. But in time, you get over it. You have to. Only alternative is to quit.
slob-air
Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:32 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
Before you fall asleep, when your brain is calm, focus on the move that scares you. Picture yourself pulling it off in detail. Anytime you find yourself in that kind of calm, do it again and again. Next time you go skate go for it. Your brain knows what to do. If you chicken out or bail, go back to picturing it from all angles in time of calm. Works!

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:01 am Reply with quote
Visualization! Great advice Slob! I first learned of visualization techniques in my teens when I read the book Inner Skiing. The techniques can be applied to any physical activity. Great way to help work through the fear and learning new lines/tricks.

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next