SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  HOT DISCUSSIONS  »  Are there truck bushings with stiffer than 100A
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

Are there truck bushings with stiffer than 100A

IDontHaveIspEmail
Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone sell Truck Bushings that are harder than 100A?

I always had tight trucks when I was a kid, but I weigh 200 pounds now and the stiffest I can find (Doh Doh 100A) are way too loose.

I even created a mold and tried to mix up Urethane from Smoothon, but I was never able to achieve their advertised stiffness when I measured with a Durometer. I estimate I want to be around 50 to 60 on the D scale (which would be around 120A if that scale went that high)

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas. The owner of the local skatepark told me of a professional skater who used Aluminum Bushings. Aluminum might be too stiff, but maybe not (not sure if each truck had both as Aluminum or just 1). I am also considering wood, but I am not sure what species would work well in this application.

Also, how much of a factor does the riser pad have in the stiffness of the trucks? I am using Tracker risers which are not as stiff as the the Independent risers. I can switch to the Indy risers, but it doesn't seem to me that the riser could deflect enough for this to be the cause, but I could be wrong on this. Please correct me if I am.

Thank you,
slob-air
Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:39 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
I believe the Khiro blacks are harder than 100a

I got stuck with a big bag of them when an asshole customer changed his mind after I'd ordered them in including overnight shipping.

How many do you need?

I also have so old '70s and '80s bushings that are petrified.

Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:37 pm Reply with quote
In the process of casting some that are higher then 100a, I'm destroying the khiro purple 98a with the aluminum inserts. I'll let you know when I have something done and ready to test.

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:03 am Reply with quote
Why would you want them that hard?

I use Ace stock (my fave) and Ace replacements—the perfect combo of soft and rebound.

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:37 am Reply with quote
If you feel like 100A is too loose, it's probably the pivot cups...not the bushings.

Also the width of the trucks and brand play a huge part, at least for me.

Some trucks seem like they'll never get tight. I was skating at 240lbs a couple months ago. Now I'm 210lbs so pretty close to where you are and had my trucks so tight I was breaking king pins. Pivot cups were the problem. Find tight hard pivot cups and it feels way more solid than just hard bushings.

I've found the black Indy hard bushings are better for me than most other hard options, but as long as you aren't getting wheel bite I'm finally learning a little looser is not a bad thing. Way more forgiving on the coping, especially the back truck.
Axis
Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:37 pm Reply with quote
PyratMike wrote:
If you feel like 100A is too loose, it's probably the pivot cups...not the bushings.

Also the width of the trucks and brand play a huge part, at least for me.

Some trucks seem like they'll never get tight. I was skating at 240lbs a couple months ago. Now I'm 210lbs so pretty close to where you are and had my trucks so tight I was breaking king pins. Pivot cups were the problem. Find tight hard pivot cups and it feels way more solid than just hard bushings.

I've found the black Indy hard bushings are better for me than most other hard options, but as long as you aren't getting wheel bite I'm finally learning a little looser is not a bad thing. Way more forgiving on the coping, especially the back truck.

I'm 250lb went to a 96a riptide pivot cup in my indy 169, and a khiro aluminum insert 98a bushing, this was amazing. But I found with my heavy slash and carving I bent the aluminum insert and blew the bushing out last night. I'm gonna cast some 65d and below bushings, and asked a buddy if he would turn me some steel bushing inserts, also considering trying some ace trucks.

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:30 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
I also tried the 100a bushings. Im 240lbs and they are way to stiff for me. I bought a set of ace af1 and put their hard bushings in. First, Aces just turn. Dont try and stop them. Second, i got used to turning and i like it alot.
This is from a guy that put khiro purples in everything and cranked them down.
I don’t know what it is, Aces are amzing!
Axis
Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:18 pm Reply with quote
thugfrm87 wrote:
I also tried the 100a bushings. Im 240lbs and they are way to stiff for me. I bought a set of ace af1 and put their hard bushings in. First, Aces just turn. Dont try and stop them. Second, i got used to turning and i like it alot.
This is from a guy that put khiro purples in everything and cranked them down.
I don’t know what it is, Aces are amzing!

maybe aces arent for me then..... XD

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Okay you fat bastards, LOL!

Stock ACE bushing might feel too soft for you and they will wear out in a season if you're hitting it a lot in deep bowl and the like.

The replacement Ace Bushing are tougher harder, more rebound and last a lot longer. I was up to 245 before my back surgery and the replacement bushings were perfect!

Lost a lot of that since so now when I sell a set of Aces I offer in trade 2 sets of replacement bushings for the stock bushing in the trucks because they really make those trucks perform—though they may wear fast they have great rebound and allow the trucks to turn super fast which I dig.

Not sure about what they are putting in the new Aces as I still have the first stage in stock and have as yet to order the new trucks.

Loose trucks save lives.

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:43 pm Reply with quote
slob-air wrote:
Okay you fat bastards, LOL!

Stock ACE bushing might feel too soft for you and they will wear out in a season if you're hitting it a lot in deep bowl and the like.

The replacement Ace Bushing are tougher harder, more rebound and last a lot longer. I was up to 245 before my back surgery and the replacement bushings were perfect!

Lost a lot of that since so now when I sell a set of Aces I offer in trade 2 sets of replacement bushings for the stock bushing in the trucks because they really make those trucks perform—though they may wear fast they have great rebound and allow the trucks to turn super fast which I dig.

Not sure about what they are putting in the new Aces as I still have the first stage in stock and have as yet to order the new trucks.

Loose trucks save lives.

loose trucks gave me wheel bite n sent me flying last week at the park, exploded blood vessels in my palms and right wrist, ill keep em tight.

today i tried to kick my board up with my foot, and reach down to grab it and something in my back exploded into pain and i cant stand or walk, so urgent care in the AM.

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next