SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  HOT DISCUSSIONS  »  Critical S&B News
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

Critical S&B News

slob-air
Posted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
On November 21 our Server that we have been using for a very long time will be updating a number of things it requires to properly run things for that server's major customers and the owners own needs.

Unfortunately, this update will mean that the server can no longer able to host S&B's hot rodded soft-ware and the it already is having a hard time handling the spidering searchbots and malicious bot attacks, DNS attacks etc.

Finding a new home that can run the current software will very likely be impossible.

I am currently looking at new software and hosts and its not going well. There are several forum hosting sites available but we would lose most of the database we've worked so hard to maintain so members can go back and search out info from posts made years ago. Many of those hosting sites also have a fucked up idea about advertising. While S&B only allows hard good brands and shops, and the occasional special rollout for skateboard book publishers and such, most of these sites control all the advertising and plunk in whatever will make them money while either giving the site a small percentage or none at all with no control at all.

I'm still trying to hunt down a solution.

It was suggested by Playgod who has helped me out so many times I don't know if I can fully repay him, suggested hiring a Developer who can migrate our software to the latest versions of PHP in such a way that it could be run on reasonably affordable servers available on the net. However, those servers would require huge upgrades of RAM and a few other expensive things.

PG suspects the cost of a developer and the work that would need to be done to be in the area of $4000 plus the costs of new hosting and I would likely have to hire someone to administrate the server while I continue administrating and moderating the site and advertisers I hope will return soon.

Not sure how I'm going to come up with that kind of money.

Not sure how long its going to take to find the right developer and host.

Not sure how long it will take for everything to be done and the site moved to a new server that can do the job.

But I do know I will do my best to make that all happen, somehow. But I cannot promise that all of that will be done by November 21 when our plug gets pulled. We may have to be down for some period of time beyond the couple days to move the site and get it set up and ready to go—It's a lot of work and its a lot of money.

Posted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:16 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Chipped in to help the cause.

Posted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:28 pm Reply with quote
plankskate wrote:
Chipped in to help the cause.

Got it, amigo. Thanks much!

Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:57 am Reply with quote
Slob, if the forums are gonna go down for a period, could there be a temporary blog or social media account to keep us updated and if we need to chip in any funds?
slob-air
Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Steve - I usually announce issues on my personal facebook page and will continue to do so—members are always free to contact me there for help or any other reason. I may open up the S&B facebook page as well—if I'm unable to pull this off before the deadline.

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Any news on this? Still looking at down time for a few weeks starting 11/21?
slob-air
Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:53 am Reply with quote
That date will not change—its imposed upon us as the move date.

I've been working my ass off to find the talent required to do what we have to for the forum to work on another server but I'm not having a lot of luck—the 3 that replied have said they are swamped with work and can't fit another project on their plate and the other 5 have not replied—kind of flakey. It's been so long since I owned an IT company that I completely forgot about that flakey strain inherent in some code monkeys.

The search continues.

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:55 pm Reply with quote
I think I may have found the right guy to do the rebuild but we're going to need to put together a bunch of cash cause he is going to want some if not most up front.

So we need about $3k from those I've talked to on the matter and we are going to try and work more into the site for members—we might even be able to work in image hosting if we're lucky.

So please send your donations to the rebuild and move to [email protected] in USD.

I will let you all know when the work begins, and when or if downtime occures—I'm hoping to very little downtime.

And thanks to PG for all his patience—finding one with the talents we need has not been easy.

The sooner we reach to amount we need the sooner we can get this rolling!

Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Thanks to gamer34 for lobbing a big one into the coffers!!

Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Fuck! Domain renewal and all the other shit is coming up fast as well.

Dig deep, throw in and be rewarded by the skate gods!

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next