SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  GENERAL DISCUSSION FORUM  »  Having trouble relearning ollies
Page 2 of 4    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Having trouble relearning ollies

king
Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:52 am Reply with quote
Sorry - double post
charlieee
Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:55 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Joined: 08 Dec 2007 Posts: 1253 Location: Tootgarook.....Australia.
Hey King ,

If you're gunna keep using that board , at least take that Huge 'power pivot ' thing off of it.

It may give you you a bit more height and angle on your board to be able to shove your front foot to bring the tail up higher.

Good stuff....good luck......just keep trying.

king
Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:50 am Reply with quote
Yea I considered removing the great big tail guard from it. Though my Globe popsical board should be arriving soon.

Ive never actually ollied on a board without a tail guard. Some people seem to think that bare wood gives better pop. I did have a Powell Peralta board with no tail guard in the 80s but I set that one aside for ramp use. I never tried doing ollies with it.
distalradiusreduction
Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Hey King, I know exactly where you are! I have been going through a similar process, although I may not lost the skill quite as much. But my ollies turn to the front side and they are a fraction of the height as they used to be. The thing I have found is that it is more a matter of timing than anything and your body has to re-learn that muscle memory, so it will take hundreds or thousands of repetitions which means more skating!

I also found that moving and trying to ollie over a line or a spot helped.

From watching your video, I see a couple things. It looks like your setup has your rear foot up on the toes, then when you slam it down, your heel drops and this may be pushing the back of your board out in front of you causing the front to pull behind you. That foot is also hanging off of the back of the deck which may be causing it to come off as you tap the ground. You also seem to be using a lot of upper body movement. I would suggest relaxing. Be soft and gentle with it. Relax your shoulders and try to keep your feet, hips and shoulders in line and parallel to you deck.

I also started doing little pop ollies where I would just slightly pop my rear wheels off the ground, but not try to level out. Just to get comfortable at a good rolling pace putting the deck through the extreme angle and back down. The other good exercise is popping over bumps on the side walk. Less extreme angle, but allows you to practice absorbing your back leg up.

Keep working at it and post your progress!
king
Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:05 am Reply with quote
I had another ollie practise session today. I took a day off yesterday due to a sore leg though that leg is still playing up. Plankskate, when you typed straighten my front foot earlier, I misread that as straightening my front leg. My fault. So right after that, I was kicking out my front leg really hard during ollies and I strained a muscle....possibly my abductor. It hurts a bit when I kickturn in a certain direction by a large degree but surprisingly, it's not much of a problem during ollies.

By the way, today was my first time using the modern popsical board - took a little while to get used to. Though I didn't notice much difference in pop from the old 80s board. Overall, I had very mixed results today - just like the last time. And once again, I tried doing ollies on the move on hard ground. And just like the last time, I had to overcome the fear factor. Many times I would simply jump without popping the board. The other thing I find really weird is that if I concentrate really hard on keeping straight and parallel with the board, I also just jump without popping. This also happens while stationary too while concentrating hard on keeping parallel. And it happens if I go too slowly also. Though I can't ollie if I go too fast - it's got to be just the right speed.

Just like last time, there were a number of times when I turned frontside unfortunately. I think sometimes that happened as a fear response - turning to land one foot on the ground so I wouldn't fall from an unbalanced landing causing immense pain. Really bad I know and I hope that doesn't develop into a habit. Other times, I would ollie straight but just like last time, I would often land with my weight too far forward on the nose during the straight ollies. And other times I would land with too much weight on my heel side edge during straight ollies.

By the way, as this is my first street board without a tail guard, I promised myself never to drag the tail intentionally to keep it good shape. I'm not keen on it razor tailing. During one of my first ollie attempts today, I fell back and accidentally dragged the tail on the ground. I was really surprised how much wood wore away from just one tail drag. Unbelievable.

Last edited by king on Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:22 am; edited 1 time in total
charlieee
Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:01 am Reply with quote
king wrote:
I'm not keen on it razor tailing. During one of my first ollie attempts today, I fell back and accidentally dragged the tail on the ground.

This nothing to be concerned about King.....it's like worrying that your car tyres may wear if you drive your car.

Go for it.......skate it.......thrash it........kill it.

Most of all.........ENJOY IT........don't worry about it.

Good luck mate
distalradiusreduction
Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:12 am Reply with quote
Lets see some pics and video of the ollies on the new board!
king
Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:21 pm Reply with quote
distalradiusreduction wrote:
Lets see some pics and video of the ollies on the new board!

Think'll take many, many attempts to get some decent ollies!
charlieee
Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:35 am Reply with quote
Yeah,
I remember when I got my first proper nose bone.

Before that I used to cut off a piece of hose and nail that to the front of my deck.

When I got my very first ' Powell peralta ' nose bone , I was so excited that I polished it with 'Nat Young's ' surfboard wax.

It made it shiny.

It was rad.
sonicdan
Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:43 am Reply with quote
less talk - more skating - better ollies.

Page 2 of 4    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next