SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  GENERAL DISCUSSION FORUM  »  Skateboard Set-up for Vert and Pool
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

Skateboard Set-up for Vert and Pool

distalradiusreduction
Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:42 am Reply with quote
I have been researching this topic over the last few weeks and have spent way too much time reading forums and searching the internet for answers that may not exist for a detail minded tech geek like myself.

But I get hung up on these types of things...I know: shut up and skate!

I recently have become interested in vert skating and this is a change from my previous interest in concrete bowls (mostly sub-vert), so of course I need to ensure that I have a properly set-up vert board.

I currently have a Lance Mountain Brigadier, but with the difference in old and new school trucks, I re-drilled the deck to a shorter wheel base than it came with. So the first question is: how much difference does wheel base make on fast vert and bowl skating. I am looking at the difference between 14.75 and 15.25?

Next question is about wheels. I have a whole pile of wheels to choose from including: Spitfire Formula 4s in 54mm and 60 mm, Spitfire Classics in 60mm, Bones DTF in 60 mm, Bones Bombers in 64 mm, Some old Schmit Stix Saw Blades that are probably 62-64mm. I am open to buying a new set of wheels that are perfect for 13' Skatelite halfpipes, but I bet one of these sets will be nearly perfect. I am going to put a new set of Rock'n Ron's bearings into which ever makes the most sense

The last question would be about weight. Does the weight of the board make much difference? I am still learning and skating below the lip. My thought is that a heavier board built for stability would be more important, but I am open to suggestions. This may influence my truck choice (wider and old school for stability), and deck choice (big and wide for stability vs Powell Flight for lightness).

I am hoping to open this conversation to benefit others who are trying to set up a board for different applications. The fact is: I like creating new set-ups and having a board perfect for all different types of skating is fun (not mandatory). I can skate what I have, but like building up something new.

I look forward to the responses!
mosu101
Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:35 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
1) bearings selection - perfectly correct. Rons Rock!
2) wheels - if the bowl is perfect smooth concrete then 60mm spf is awesome - if the bowl is rough concrete you may want a softer wheel.
Wheel size is a personal choice although I prefer a large wheel
3) Board wheelbase 14.5 works fine for me. its all about what you like. Im riding anywhere from 15.5 to 14 on my boards. I like longer wheelbase for slalom but onestly think its all a mater of personal preference.

where are you skating?

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:45 am Reply with quote
There is a couple nice concrete parks where I live (San Luis Obispo California) and a huge very ramp nearby at a private facility called Vert Jungle. I feel like my board for the park is pretty dialed. I have been enjoying the Spitfire Formula 4s. I feel like the smaller size is fine in the park most of the time. But occasionally it feels a little slow. That board also feels a little unstable at times too. Going really fast fakie is pretty scary. The bigger board is the one I’m trying to dial in for the bigger bowls and the vert ramp. I want it to be stable and fast.
sonicdan
Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:16 am Reply with quote
- 15+ wheelbase for stability. unless you plan on turning onto high-tech tricks very soon.

- 60mm wheels for speed. 54mm will have your legs work more to get up to the lip.

- "soft" wheels for rough terrain - but soft means 95 or 97A in this case. hard wheels for wood ramps... I thought the Spitfire classics (99A, I think) work perfect on wood and metal ramps and on smooth concrete. avoid harder wheels on a very smooth surface : less grip will mean it'll get slippery and an itsy-bitsy overrotation will arrange a meeting with the bottom of the bowl or ramp. Brought me to the hospital at least once.

- trucks : if you have a 9" board (or wider), 169 Indys are a good choice.

- weight : you shouldn't be concerned with that unless you pop 4 foot airs out of the ramp and think you'd go higher with a lighter board.

last but not least, very much of this is also a matter of personal preference (obviously) but also of getting used to something.

slob-air
Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:39 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
Wheel hardness is irrelevant with some of the newer wheels on the market—Powell SPF is a good example and the smoking Pi wheels (which I consider the best wheel on the market and even better loaded with Ceramic Rockets). These wheels are manufactured in a different way than older urethane wheels and hardness is irrelevant because it does not indicate how the wheel will perform.

Wheelbase depends in part on your height and weight. A little longer wheelbase is always a good idea if you are not a pro who trains daily and can take advantage of a shorter wheelbase. Old cats like the crew that skates with me tend to lean towards 16" to 17". 14" to 15" is for kids.

Theoretically, your board size should grow with you. Makes sense to me.

As for decks, I lean towards Pocket Pistols whose decks are made with hard rock Canadian maple. I like the stiffness and subsequent pop as a result. I know some popular brands boards are softer due to their use of American maple—which is just fine for kids but a 200 lb man will find it soggy. With shorter wheelbase that soggyness is less noticeable.

Trucks: You want light, fast turning, smooth grinding trucks. For bowl and pool Indy is obvious but Ace are right up there as well. My preference after riding Indy for decades is Ace.

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the input. I don't plan to ever do technical tricks. I aspire to one day be able to do airs above the lip and if the stars align, a handplant. A good stable fast setup is my goal. I currently have the Lance Mountain Brigadier setup with some old Ventures that are a little narrower than ideal, with the Spitfire F4 at 58 mm. When I get the Rockets in the mail, I may try the Bones DTF 60mm wheels to see if that changes the speed. I am considering leaving this setup for the bowls, and putting together a new setup for wood vert. All of this information is helpful!

Thanks and keep it coming!
San Diego Oldschooler
Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 03 Oct 2003 Posts: 2832 Location: Down South in San Diego
Hardness of the wheel, regardless of the manufacturer, still makes a difference, especially on slippery wood or skatelite. You want a wheel that is a little softer & has grip along with speed. SPF's will put you on you ass quickly on wood or skatelite.

Our Rainskates 95a or 98a formulas were developed on these slippery surfaces & will provide the grip you need to reach your full speed potential without sliding out, like you would on a harder wheel. www.rainskates.com

Go with a longer wheelbase for stability. You'll be amazed how much easier it is to carry your speed & be comfortable on the board while going fast. 16.5" to 18" is the sweetspot, IMHO.

Make sure you are on a board that's around 9" or greater in width, too. You'll feel more secure with more wood under your foot. Don't worry about weight at this stage in your skating, it's irrelevant.

You can't loose going with ACE or Indy.

SDO

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:28 pm Reply with quote
San Diego Oldschooler wrote:
SPF's will put you on you ass quickly on wood or skatelite.

couldn't agree more.

did I say hospital?? that was with SPFs...

San Diego Oldschooler
Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 03 Oct 2003 Posts: 2832 Location: Down South in San Diego
sonicdan wrote:

couldn't agree more.

Thanks for this. There's been a lot of brainwashing out there that SPF's are good for everything & everybody. You are proof of that fallacy.

SDO

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:22 pm Reply with quote
sonicdan wrote:

couldn't agree more.

Thanks for this. There's been a lot of brainwashing out there that SPF's are good for everything & everybody. You are proof of that fallacy.

SDO

What do you think about the old softer DTF? or Spitfire Formula 4?

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next