SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  HOT DISCUSSIONS  »  UK R.A.D. magazine/books kickstarter
Page 1 of 3    Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

UK R.A.D. magazine/books kickstarter

pig city
Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:19 am Reply with quote
It's here! The much anticipated two-volume book of the life and times of the influential British skateboarding magazine, Read and Destroy, is finally ready to put into production. We are very proud to announce that our Kickstarter fundraiser is now live. Click the link below for the full story on Kickstarter and see how you can contribute and become part of making this important project a reality. The campaign runs for 30 days and closes at the end of July. Don't sleep!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/3...-of-the-magazine#

jwd
Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:58 am Reply with quote
Skateboard! was better. The vast majority of RAD photographs were of London, and a few other "feted" skaters.

They were always a bit up there arse, and £80 for a couple of skateboards books reflects this. Trawler has got 3 books out for the time they've been talking about this.
pig city
Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:13 am Reply with quote
jwd wrote:
Skateboard! was better. The vast majority of RAD photographs were of London, and a few other "feted" skaters.

They were always a bit up there arse, and £80 for a couple of skateboards books reflects this. Trawler has got 3 books out for the time they've been talking about this.

Seriously... Skateboard! was proper Shite, It was run by old 70's relics with a chip on their shoulders. The only good thing about that mag was Skate Muties.

If you hang on there might be a Skate Action book out soon for you

tc909
Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:47 am Reply with quote
Cool. It sounds like it'll be like William Sharp's book, Back in the Day.

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Not my era nor continent but looks sick

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:44 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Joined: 07 Jan 2013 Posts: 3666 Location: Sydney, Australia
Saw that yesterday and shared it on facebook.
Hope it gets off the ground.

Danno
Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:32 pm Reply with quote
I hope it all wotks out. If I have spare cash I will kick in.

@PigCity I know what you mean (Steve Kane was particularly annoying) but a lot of my friends are in Skateboard! magazine so I would love to see that as well. I found an old copy the other day with Gilbert Angol on the cover when he skated for the Slick Willies team (now there is a truly shite name for a brand. I worked in their shop one Summer ). Also the pictures of Mark Baker and, Marc Sinclair who was Britain's best at that time IMO. There's that great shot of him in Skateboarder at Marina Del Rey doing a fakie Ollie when he was on Dogtown , Jeremy Henderson (well known on the NY scene for a long time) etc. etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
clearfilms
Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:18 am Reply with quote
so hyped for this......will be getting the shirts & books for sure.

i started skating in 1986 via RAD when it was a BMX mag, it ran a sequence of mullen doing a ollie over a deck sideways and i was tripping that someone could get in the air of flat ground!......from then on i only skated.
chall5
Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:30 am Reply with quote
10% in 3 days-good going but maintaining that pledge rate might be challenging

Can you just buy the book once it is produced (assuming it reaches its target) ?

I’ve got most issues of RaD (and quite a few Skateboard!) in the loft so if it’s £80 I may have to think twice
gilesyboy
Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:52 pm Reply with quote
pig city wrote:
jwd wrote:

Seriously... Skateboard! was proper Shite, It was run by old 70's relics with a chip on their shoulders. The only good thing about that mag was Skate Muties.

If you hang on there might be a Skate Action book out soon for you

SK8 Action book!!! Sign me up.

I did actually prefer Skate Action but I was only 12/13. I think it was probably a regional/generational thing. Sk8 Action was published in the North. Morecambe to be exact and was very Northern England focused especially North West. Warrington, Wigan, Barrow, Manchester. Hell who can forget some of those great specials on the Empire Skate Buildings!! Rad was more Southsea, Bristol, Brighton and London. I remember reading a RAD feature on Southsea and assumed it was in California. I'd never seen blue skies like that in England.

Get the book going man!!!! We need to document the UK history. We also need Deathbox reissues. Hoping for Deathbox reissues is the only thing that keeps me interested in the resissue market.

Page 1 of 3    Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next