SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  HOT DISCUSSIONS  »  Why have skateboards stayed the same price?
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

Why have skateboards stayed the same price?

slavadov
Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:24 am Reply with quote
https://www.vice.com/amp/en_us/article...r_impression=true

Interesting article from Vice on why the average skateboard has cost $50 for the past 30 years. What's interesting to me is that the price of production has gone down at roughly the same rate as price inflation, with things like imported OEM blanks, and heat transfers instead of screen printing.[/list]

DILLINGERxCAPE
Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:41 pm Reply with quote
nice find.

yeah, it seems that way at first... until you take in the value $45 in todays money had against $45 in the 1980's...

cool that it actually costs less to get a board today

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:38 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Mommy buy you a Chiney BMX for $100 so you can get to school or buy skateboard $100 hit a rock and break all your teeth. Makes sense

Hot wheels still a dollar

Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 04 Feb 2014 Posts: 761 Location: Half a beat behind
Is that the same for wheels? I seem to remember wheels costing, roughly, $30US since forever.
slob-air
Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:05 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
Wheels went up slightly due to manufacturing and new processes costing more. The cheaper ones are still on the market as well so there is simplya wider cost spread.

The story basically said skaters are cheap motherfuckers.

Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 04 Feb 2014 Posts: 761 Location: Half a beat behind
slob-air wrote:
The story basically said skaters are cheap motherfuckers.

Haha! I represent that comment!
GETOCAT
Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:58 pm Reply with quote
I always trip out on how QUICK these kids are in and out of the skate shop in 20 minutes...

I used to have to touch half the decks on the wall,check out hella wheels give all the rails a little bendy bend...

And all this pretty much knowing what my set up was gonna be beforehand,as I pooled all the funds together for days and days...

A new sk8 was a fuckin' EVENT!

slavadov
Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:00 pm Reply with quote
GETOCAT wrote:
I always trip out on how QUICK these kids are in and out of the skate shop in 20 minutes...

I used to have to touch half the decks on the wall,check out hella wheels give all the rails a little bendy bend...

And all this pretty much knowing what my set up was gonna be beforehand,as I pooled all the funds together for days and days...

A new sk8 was a fuckin' EVENT!

When I was working in the shop, the regulars were always in and out in 20 minutes...they had skating to do! The only people that stuck around and hung out (by far, the coolest and most interesting customers) were the old guys! Guys that had been skating since forever, and had all kinds of cool stories to tell

GETOCAT
Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Some of these kids I see are mad good as far as technique and skills,but can at times be a little thin on the history and soul aspects of skateboarding...

But hey,when I was 10 and started trying to shred it up,I didn't know Tony Alva and Stacy Peralta were skate legends. I thought they just,you know,owned the company and shit.

slavadov
Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:44 am Reply with quote
GETOCAT wrote:
Some of these kids I see are mad good as far as technique and skills,but can at times be a little thin on the history and soul aspects of skateboarding...

But hey,when I was 10 and started trying to shred it up,I didn't know Tony Alva and Stacy Peralta were skate legends. I thought they just,you know,owned the company and shit.

It's kinda refreshing, knowing that skaters today are still not giving a fuck, living purely for the moment, and that their lives revolve around nothing but skateboarding. We sit online arguing over the best griptape, mounting hardware, or speedrings, but at the end of the day, that shit doesn't matter...and these kids are absolute proof of it.

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next