SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  MUSICIANS CORNER  »  anyone here play bass guitar?
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

anyone here play bass guitar?

big.kahuna.burger
Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:03 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Joined: 19 Jan 2002 Posts: 15613 Location: Melbs dude... Melbs
i'm just starting out, and looking for suggestions on bass pedals.

anyone have any preferences for a compression/distortion pedal that dirties up the sound without losing bottom end?

oh yeah... Epiphone Thunderbird IV is the bass i have settled on. and sound-wise i'm starting small with just a 60W practice amp... if i get into it, ill upsize. but ill need a pedal that will be right on a big setup or small.

any ideas?

Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:16 am Reply with quote
Joined: 07 Nov 2006 Posts: 434 Location: Newport, Australia
Just bought my son a Roland Cube Bass amp 60xl. It has built in compression/overdrive and other effects including a looping function. Great punchy little amp; kill two birds with one stone.

Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:45 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
Ibanez Turbo Tube Screamer is a great pedal for bass overdrive. The Carl Martin Bass Plexitone is amazing too.

I play guitar 95% of the time, but when I play bass I play my Spector Rex through a Traynor Bassmaster and Traynor 2x15 cab.

Those Epi Thunderbirds are sic! Good choice.

Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:15 am Reply with quote
The Way Huge Swollen Pickle is cool.

I think Tube Screamers are better for boosting an already distorted signal. They are pretty lame as a primary gain pedal...at least for a guitar.

Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
The Turbo Tube Screamer is ideal because you can from subtle to Motorhead via the mode, drive and tone controls. It's not like any of the other Tube Screamers.

Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:21 pm Reply with quote
I have that one...still feel it is best when used with an already distorted signal.

Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:09 pm Reply with quote
I just picked one up myself. Going above effects, what is there to look for in amps? Is it generally the same as a regular electric?

alldayphila
Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:10 pm Reply with quote
I did a few year stint on bass. I ran a digitech bass driver at first, but ended up ditching it when I started using a svt-cl. You might want to checkout the sansamp bass driver. It's hard to know what will work on both setups if you don't have the stage setup available. I found with bass, small things make a big change in tone. Amps, cabinets, pickups, strings, picks all make a big difference in how it sounds.
alldayphila
Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:01 pm Reply with quote
slavadov wrote:
I just picked one up myself. Going above effects, what is there to look for in amps? Is it generally the same as a regular electric?

A major difference is that most bass amps are solid state whereas most guitar amps are tube. I have found that bass rigs might be more forgiving in that a crappy one can still be useable if paired with a decent cab. Get a 4x10 for small shows and practice or an 8x10 if you're playing out. Check out the ampeg svt if you don't mind lifting heavy shit. A lot of companies make lightweight heads now that push some real power, it's pretty crazy how loud a 4lb amp can get.
Parker
Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 04 Feb 2014 Posts: 761 Location: Half a beat behind
Depends where you intend mostly using it. If youre in the back room at home, Hambo's pick is a good one.

hambo wrote:
Just bought my son a Roland Cube Bass amp 60xl. It has built in compression/overdrive and other effects including a looping function. Great punchy little amp; kill two birds with one stone.

if you're jamming in a practice room, you wanna be heard, best to play around make some adjustments.

alldayphila wrote:
I did a few year stint on bass. I ran a digitech bass driver at first, but ended up ditching it when I started using a svt-cl. You might want to checkout the sansamp bass driver. It's hard to know what will work on both setups if you don't have the stage setup available. I found with bass, small things make a big change in tone. Amps, cabinets, pickups, strings, picks all make a big difference in how it sounds.

^^ Sound advise. Boom tish!

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next