SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  HOT DISCUSSIONS  »  So long, Silverfish
Page 3 of 4    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

So long, Silverfish

slavadov
Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:03 am Reply with quote
First off, adapt or die. That's a blunt look at the truth. Times they are a changin' and the fact of the matter is that us, as users, can no longer take for granted these specialized forums. Guys like Slob here, Malakai and Erik at Silverfish, Francois at my favorite bike forums, and countless other administrators and site owners still have passion for their chosen activity, but as we've seen with not just SFL, but other Skateboard sites, the money just isn't there like it used to be. Operating costs are high, and any revenue generated to offset the cost is shrinking.
Personally , I'm coming around to the idea that good information is not free any more...the way that Twatter, Faecesbook, and Our Evil Overlord Google manipulate what we see is the cost of doing business with them. If we want specialized information these days, we'll eventually have to begin ponying up!

As word got around that SFL was shutting down, the forums became more active than I've seen there in years! The common sentiment was "I haven't been here in ages... it's a shame to see the site go," which is a perfect example of the problem... everything on a site like this is taken for granted, and nobody (users) wants to generate content that'll bring about the page views needed to generate ad revenue and keep the site afloat. I'm certainly guilty of this - I stopped going here for years until this past week, and was not surprised to see the same ol' guys posting in the same ol' threads...which brings about another question: I've got a few dozen thread prompts stored up from SFL that'll generate discussion... should I post em?

The good news is that we've got a lot of cool shit here. Snb is still number one in my mind as far as old-school skateboarding. There is a ton of history contained within these pages, and we should be proud of that.

sonicdan
Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:15 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
"adapt or die", "times are changing"…wtf??

well, maybe I'll have to leave a pretty corpse soon. I've been on fb on and off for a bunch of years ("woot? sonicdan on fb" earlier this year on the SnB page…) - but I've had my share of dumb people, stupid conversations without arguments, all-out narcissism as well as the before-mentioned right-wing hatred groups infiltrating every single discussion… And we've had people selling off reissues as OG's and questioning OG wood that was on sale by longtime collectors that know their shit. EVERYBODY IS "RIGHT" ON FUCKING FACEKOOK.

seriously, it's the world upside down. I've had enough of that crap. It wastes my time.

my general impression is that skateboarding is steering towards a new crash - even though there is a solid base of people who practice, unlike in the 90s. coupla weeks ago, I thought there's less boards of "my type" out there - where's the 9"+ decks from Black Label, Pocket Pistols, RHPS, etc?? it's mostly reissues for hipsters' mancaves or 8.25" riders for the young guns. what's going on - have all of the 30-40+ year olds dropped out? Again?? the same guys that quoted Jayboy's phrase "you don't quit skateboarding because you get old… " not too long ago??

… maybe it's a good thing, ya know, posers and so that piss off??

I would be seriously pissed if SnB was going down. But you won't find me back on fb. Jeeezus, if you're on here, you must've had a 30+ year life WITHOUT friggin fb. I, on my part, can do without (and yes, I've had people grumbling about me not being on fb anymore - well, use your phone, cyberjunkie!)…

Slob - all the best for your health and your family. You should know there's a bunch of us out there that really appreciate what you've done to keep us together! hope you'll keep up somehow!

slob-air
Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:46 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
slavadov wrote:
First off, adapt or die.

Indeed.

However, we are not something that will evolve. We are a community, not to be confused with facebook groups that have nothing to do with community, and the community decides whether it lives or dies.

As for the others, its never been about money for. Sure, it was great when the EPN was providing returns that not only covered most of the expenses but compensated for the inordinate amount of time I put into the site. That's history, but it doesn't change why I do this, which is two fold: community and history.

Recent happening would seem to be what may kill that, but I'm not ready to give up. I don't know how to give up.

Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:52 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Joined: 07 Jan 2013 Posts: 3666 Location: Sydney, Australia
slob-air wrote:
I don't know how to give up.

Right on Slob!

jwd
Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:53 am Reply with quote
That's a shame about Silverfish. It was good for slalom in the late 2000s, with Chris Yandall (RIP) very prominent.

And a pity the board-building info has all gone, a lot of helpful stuff there.
slob-air
Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:20 am Reply with quote
Indeed. There was also some great bearing fights over there too that I was beckoned to contribute to. LOL!

Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:43 am Reply with quote
slob-air wrote:
Indeed. There was also some great bearing fights over there too that I was beckoned to contribute to. LOL!

You were on the side that said that bearings do make a positive difference, right?

That paradigm shifted as well...In the past few years over at SFL, the prevailing thought became more about good quality bearings, especially with good oil. It got a little ridiculous at times before that, with the whole "cheap, disposable" bearing mindset.

hambo
Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:41 am Reply with quote
Joined: 07 Nov 2006 Posts: 434 Location: Newport, Australia
I liked the site until it became "what are the best wheels for sliding.com"

Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:45 pm Reply with quote
slavadov wrote:
slob-air wrote:

You were on the side that said that bearings do make a positive difference, right?

That paradigm shifted as well...In the past few years over at SFL, the prevailing thought became more about good quality bearings, especially with good oil. It got a little ridiculous at times before that, with the whole "cheap, disposable" bearing mindset.

That was one of the smaller ones. The larger more explosive was the ABEC fraud that saturates the industry and the junk steal the suppliers of those use.

Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:21 pm Reply with quote
I've never been over there but all the kids say SLAP is pretty lively. Wonder if their lurking is down.

Page 3 of 4    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next