SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  HOT DISCUSSIONS  »  How to help build a local shop
Page 2 of 2    Goto page Previous  1, 2

How to help build a local shop

Danno
Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately it means subscribing for the paper or digital version of Transworld business but there is some info online, of course they aren't going to give away the current data for free. Anyway, I thought that some of these articles might interest you.

There's some State of Skate content from 2016. The interesting thing is the trends rather than the specifics. There's a graphic of the emerging brands which shows some interesting movement among brands and the article says skaters are interested in these brands. Who knows if that's true. The industry types here know what's going on. Here's the link to the article.

http://www.grindtv.com/transworld-business/features/state-skate-2016-emerging-brands-surface/

I think asking $149.99 for an article/report that's a year out of date is a bit much. Who knows when/if their State Of Skate 2017 will be available.

This also supports the whole "small batch" thing. Interesting to note that one of the slides in the photo behind some panellists says "72% of consumers (ah, The Industry) buy their decks from a skateshop and only 42% buy clothes there". They also say that skating is moving from the core skater (I prefer that to "consumer") toward the casual skater.

www.grindtv.com/transworld-business/features/skate-summit-2016-top-takeaways/

You probably know this shop (Denver based) but they seem to be taking the smaller amounts of limited product runs. Not a bad site considering it's Wordpress based.

www.303boards.com

Some of their own small batchness here. http://303boards.com/?p=10863

Once again I think Gilesyboy's advice is good. And, a disclaimer, I have generally taken what's in Transworld Business with a healthy dose of scepticism. E.G. in one of their surveys it mentions the sample size was only 500. That is pretty small and of course results depend on who/where/when.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
canadian_dream
Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:21 am Reply with quote
I agree with what's been said, today's business environment is pretty tough for local shops. Back in the day competition was low and profit margins were healthy, today kids buy everything pricey online.

What I think still works is opening a place that's cool and sells some drinks, snacks and where the kids can hang out. There you can also sell tees and stickers, but more to show you're part of the skate culture and less for the profit line.

Page 2 of 2    Goto page Previous  1, 2