SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  HOT DISCUSSIONS  »  How to help build a local shop
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

How to help build a local shop

Backround05
Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:01 am Reply with quote
Need your suggestions and opinions.

I live next to a skatepark but there isn't a real local shop.

I've been working with a local glass shop to sell stickers. Based on the interest they've seen, they're open to a few decks or other core skate items. The store owners are good peeps.

I can wing it but I'm interested in what you think I should stock them with and the best avenue to obtain the product.

Grow the skateboard gang until we take over. Now give me your wisdoms.
gilesyboy
Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Glass Shop! The last thing I would want in a glass shop is a bunch of hyper active teenagers kick flipping their useless wooden wheeled toys and smashing the product. I'm being sarcastic but that recipe will not mix. Whats the saying, 'bull in a china shop'.

The first thing I would ask is what do you mean by a real shop? There may not be a 'real shop' as there is no demand for one. If it is your livelihood you can't just sell decks and hardware. The successful independent retailers, the majority of their profits will not come from hardware. Most hardware is bought over the web nowadays and sold by the giants who buy in bulk and sell with low profit margins. Its a price sensitive market. If I can get a deck 10$ cheaper from a skateshop 200 miles away who offer free postage and packing I am going to do it. If you don't want to go bust you may have to sell your soul. You have to sell skateboard inspired fashion and create a shop that is more like a boutique. A shop that meets the dual needs of those who skate and those who aspire to look like a skater. We would all like to do a hardcore skate shop but sadly, you are not going to sell enough hardware. You have to entice those in who want to dress what they think a skateboarder wears as well as catering for the hardcore skaters. You have to sell your Nike SB's, Polar, Patagonia, Adidas, Stussy, Carhartt, Dickies, Levi's, Quiet Life. They tend to do understated skate clothes but at premier prices and sell to fashionistas who may not actually skate. Most successful independent skate shops profit margins come from non skaters.

Also you say 'wing it'. You can't 'wing'this industry. Authenticity in this industry is everything. If you are not authentic you will be found out. The glass shop may help you dip your toe in the market but you may need to commit to something more tangible if its your long term livelihood at stake. If you are going to do it, do it properly.

For your key demographic i.e. those who are skating the park every chance they get you need to support the smaller brands who help the core skaters differentiate from the fashionistas. Ask your demographic want companies they think are cutting edge. The likes of Girl and Chocolate whose graphics I love are sadly on the decline. Its not 2006 anymore. They are doing what Powell Peralta did in 1992, designing their products for their loyal customers who were the last generation and perhaps failing to attract the new generation. Look to the more nimble brands such as Welcome, The National, Quasi, Fucking Awesome etc. They are focusing on their demographic, young men aged 14-22 who skate every week. For that demographic, i.e. the hardware market keep your profit margins lower as you need to keep them coming in. If skaters are shopping there, those who aspire to be a skater will shop there.

Support the local scene, sponsor competitions at the park, commission local artists and collaborate. Try and start your own brand in partnership with local designers. In business cooperation always wins over competition. Work with your local University/College to create mutually beneficial projects for the art school and business students. Employ people who know the local scene and are younger than yourself, most importantly heed their advice. Also put energy into social media.

Finally and key focus on your demographic. Don't make the mistake of thinking it is still 1989 and assume that Powell and Santa Cruz are important to a 15 year old kid. Its like rock n roll, skaters differentiate themselves from the previous generation. Whilst we (35-45 year olds) spend a lot on old skateboards and reissues we tend not to go to skateshops and instead get it all mail order via the web.

Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:40 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
gilesyboy wrote:

Finally and key focus on your demographic. Don't make the mistake of thinking it is still 1989 and assume that Powell and Santa Cruz are important to a 15 year old kid. Its like rock n roll, skaters differentiate themselves from the previous generation. Whilst we (35-45 year olds) spend a lot on old skateboards and reissues we tend not to go to skateshops and instead get it all mail order via the web.

Totally agree with this. Just because I have MY favorite brands, doesn't mean a kid will be hyped on the same thing. Quasi? WKND? LE? Sure, some people will pick up a Powell or SC, but the youth have their own thing. Think how you were at that age.
P.S. Seems like most everyone likes Welcome.

Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:25 pm Reply with quote
There used to be a small skateshop near the Metro skatepark in Burnaby (Vancouver) Despite having a very good bowl with 20' full pipe, pool coping and very good street area. The shop could not stay open, skatepark nearby doesn't equal good business. A lot of what was sold was replacement king pins and skaters wanting one bearing because one of theirs has seized due to being "lubricated" with WD40. Admittedly there wasn't a huge amount of stock, but then people didn't go in asking for bigger ticket items.

If a kid breaks a deck whilst there it's not likely they'll have the cash on them to walk in and buy another.

If the shop is the only skateshop with no competition it could work. But it's a tough business. The only person I know who's made a decent amount of cash had a large store in downtown Toronto (no park nearby) he sold everything skate, BMX, snowboard. At the time when there were about 16 skate shoe brands he carried almost all of them. Plus the skate jeans etc when everyone wanted the Skater look. As Gilseyboy said for skaters who are young (compared to us) they know what's soooo hot this week "brand what, I can't be seen riding that? no-one's ridden that since last Thursday".

With a skateshop the place with the "right" brands and good selection of things other than deck, trucks and wheels in stock wins out, they become what's called a destination store in retail. People will go out of their way to get the right brands/items. Just look at what a picky bunch of bastards we still are. "I need some soft cruising wheels about 63mm 86a" and you get a ton of replies saying "these 60mm 78a are great" and many other opinions. As an example look at Girl. A strong brand for long time. Now, not so much. Although I like the Kodak film based decks (although how many of today's skaters grew up with, or uses, film?) out ATM.

From Monday to Friday a lot of skaters are in school. Is the park busy during the week in daytime, is it lit?

Whatever you do, good luck with it all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Backround05
Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the responses guys.

To be clear, I've worked for a skateshop. Also, I've run a small skateboard brand for a few years back in the day. I understand new/vs old brands.

I'm not trying to start a business here and profits are not my main motive. Skateboarders already go into this shop to purchase stickers. I wanna put a few decks on the wall and see how it goes.

What should I put on the wall and where should I get it from?
gheepup
Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:29 am Reply with quote
Ask the kids that buy the stickers. Talk to the kids at the skatepark, if they will talk to you.
GETOCAT
Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:00 pm Reply with quote
gheepup wrote:
Ask the kids that buy the stickers. Talk to the kids at the skatepark, if they will talk to you.

Shouldn't be too difficult. They don't EVER stop talking to me around here.

Act like they never saw a skating dinosaur before.

And Backround05,gilesyboy is accurate about the soft goods. my friend has a Sk8shop here in Stockton and his Nike SB shoe account generates more revenue than anything else.

big.kahuna.burger
Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 19 Jan 2002 Posts: 15613 Location: Melbs dude... Melbs
gheepup wrote:

stranger danger! stranger danger!

Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:15 am Reply with quote
When I was working in a shop a few years back, DGK was THE hot brand. The skate counter I worked on was in the back of a guitar store, and there were honestly a few weekends where I carried the shop. On a good day, I could move one complete per hour.

If you can get the kids to plunk down money on other stuff, I would advise against selling stickers. Give 'em like one sticker per $10 of gear purchased or something. Another skateboard forum brought to my attention the idea that nobody really wants to pay for stickers these days...the free foil sticker in the pack of Bones Reds, and the flaming head in their Spitfire Wheels is all they really want anymore.

Backround05
Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:58 pm Reply with quote
slavadov wrote:
I would advise against selling stickers. Another skateboard forum brought to my attention the idea that nobody really wants to pay for stickers these days...the free foil sticker in the pack of Bones Reds, and the flaming head in their Spitfire Wheels is all they really want anymore.

I've been selling stickers for years so I'm not sure I agree with you here slavadov.

At the moment I'm taking gilesyboy's advice...

gilesyboy wrote:

Support the local scene,

I'm contacting local CO. skateboard brands for the win.

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next