SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  HOT DISCUSSIONS  »  Blind Gonz Skull/Banana reissue question
Page 2 of 3    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Blind Gonz Skull/Banana reissue question

Raoul_Duke
Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:17 am Reply with quote
eric102673 wrote:

My disappointment in the reissues wasn't because I wanted wall hangers, just that IMO if a company is going to bother making screens and reissuing a board, at least make it a credible copy of the OG. It wouldn't have been too hard to have done them up right

Ironically, they managed to put it on a concave that is similar to nothing else out there. I think you could just use a standard PS Stix or Watson medium concave and it would have been closer
big.kahuna.burger
Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:39 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Joined: 19 Jan 2002 Posts: 15613 Location: Melbs dude... Melbs
now i am really curious about the differences between the original and the reissue.

can someone please send me their original skull and banana, and then i'll buy a reissue, and tell you the differences...

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 19 Jan 2002 Posts: 15613 Location: Melbs dude... Melbs
GETOCAT wrote:
Raoul_Duke wrote:
I bought a thrashed original Barnyard so I could ride it and not feel bad about it. Of course it sucked b/c the wood was old and soggy.

I set up an O.G. Saiz and almost hurt myself doing a boneless off a ledge.The wood was at the other extreme,bone dry and super brittle.

bummer. are you sure that was due to the deck? and not a 100KG+ dude doing a boneless off a ledge?

i've set up and ridden a couple of NOS OG decks, and didnt have a problem. 2x guerrero feathers and a hill ear.

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:51 pm Reply with quote
big.kahuna.burger wrote:
and not a 100KG+ dude doing a boneless off a ledge?

More like 77 KG.Been ripped my entire life.I do skate aggro.

c_wester
Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:03 am Reply with quote
I really wanted one of these.
But fuck it if they are gonna shit the bed like Powell.... (Check out the Hill reissue... its noting like the original .... feels like some cheap china shit). Im not buying anything.

As soon as these companies start making accurate molds im gonna start buying but when noting is even half descent fuck em`

The magic with "my" deck era 1988-1991 was the hig quality from World IND, Powell Peralta and Santa Cruz.

Last edited by c_wester on Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
strohsbro2
Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:35 am Reply with quote
Was there just one color of each made? The ones I've seen so far have been.

Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:28 am Reply with quote
I think they just did orange stain for the screened version and blue stain for the HT.

I think the wood is actually pretty good quality - clean finish and not overly heavy for the size of the deck. It's just that the concave seems a bit mellower and shaped different from Blinds of that era.

I usually like a little more concave but I rode it a lot last weekend and it was fine, broke in easily.
eric102673
Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:52 pm Reply with quote
The concave is super mellow. The OG concave has a lot of shoulder, and steeper nose and tail bends.

I was actually surprised the shape is really close and after throwing a tape on it, the dims are as well, accepting the fact that those bends aren't as steep.

It's funny as it feels way more different than I'd have thought. The wood feels solid, as far as that goes. Not like some other shitty reissues.

For both of mine the screens leave a lot to be desired. Tons of differences in where and how they put the ink down, cant tell if it's overt laziness or intentionally trying to not make them as well, not just that they are lacklusterly produced.

And mine are both covered in "bubbles" in the screened ink. Specifically the blacks.
I'm sure they'll be fine to ride, and trash and forget. Much as the originals were. But boy was the quality so much higher then than now.
Pretty shocking when you think of how slipshod Rocco ran the business side of things. The number crunching and finscal responsibility may have been lacking, but their artistic integrity most certainly was not.
Hal9000
Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm positive it had nothing to do with Rocco. They'd have these screened by guys that were masters of their craft. All they did was screen print to a higher standard because they didn't want any returns. It was a competition/survival thing. If you fucked up I take my business to the next guy. Today, hardly anyone screen prints so if they cut corners, so what? They don't care if you come back. This is disappointing to hear. I have a set I'm supposed to get any day now. Oh well, they have us where they want us. I noticed this shitty printing on the limited Daewon Song Tom & Jerry decks too, fucking piss poor print job. Real amateur hour shit.
c_wester
Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:43 pm Reply with quote
I Think there is quite alot of money on the table here.
I mean how many decks have not sky rocketed moneywise.
And these could probably be had for 150usd(Made correctly).

Correct Mold real wood and so fort and people would fork up.

I know I would buy Decks like a tard of the Re`s if I could have them copied correctly.

You can compare this to Gibson Les Paul Custom Shops.
They just fucked everyone all over the place and now small bussiness are providing what these arrogant dudes just did not adress.

I suspect Watson could reproduce most any thing correctly from the late 1980s if somebody would just give a shit.

Just as a example... most of us have ridden a Jim Thiebaud "Cartoon Deck" and we could have a exact replika ... screaned with real wood ... people would fork up.

Also where is the correct reissues of the Independent Stage 5 Trucks??
In all the Colors!

Page 2 of 3    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next