SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  HOT DISCUSSIONS  »  Skateboard Memories
Page 1 of 1    

Skateboard Memories

Buddur
Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 04 Aug 2012 Posts: 1095 Location: Western Pennsylvania
Got any?

Had a memory come back to me earlier that I'm sure most here can relate to... my second board was a yellow plastic Grentec (GT) no more than 24 inches long and like 5 inches wide, pointy tail and nose, loose bearings, 3-inch strip of emery cloth glued on as griptape, and the one that really got me into skateboarding. Every Sunday with the guy that got me into skateboarding we'd pull the wheels, clean the bearings in gas, wipe the races clean, then grease and put everything back together. I learned to ride a handstand on that board.

Anyways, the point was that particular board had such a skinny tail that, every time I'd kickturn on flat ground I'd drag the toe of my backfoot shoe on the ground thus wearing a hole in the toe of that shoe.

Almost forgot about all the holes in my shoes.

Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:22 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Joined: 08 Dec 2007 Posts: 1253 Location: Tootgarook.....Australia.
The first skateboard I got was for my 7th birthday back in 1975.
A fibreglass Golden Breed, Chigago trucks, Metalex surfer wheels.
I received my present in bed , just before I was going to school.
I held the board and spun it's wheels only for the board to flick up and hit me in the mouth......I got a fat lip and cried....I got to stay home that birthday.

That was the first of MANY injuries I incurred thanks to skateboarding.

That little cunt got me before I even rode it......haha.....

TRUE
JeremyC
Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:29 am Reply with quote
I was also a GT Grentec victim. Mine was a blue Spoiler that I found abandoned in the yard of the apartment my family moved into in 1981. At least I believed it to be abandoned. I literally rode the wheels off that thing (the kingpin on the back truck eventually ripped out of the deck). I was completely clueless about skateboarding and equipment so didn't have any conception that there was any kind of antislip that I could put on it. The little molded bumps on the deck that simulated griptape didn't help. It didn't matter how crappy it was though, all I knew is that I loved the feeling of riding.

My dad got me a fiberglass MPI board after that for my birthday. It was a real step up It had larger wheels with sealed bearings and trucks that were bolted to the deck. It was still skinny as hell and surfboard-shaped with no kicktail or griptape but that wasn't going to stop me. I learned how to go up and down curbs and would have been doing slappys if the trucks hadn't have been so narrow. That board taught me a lot about fiberglass splinters.

After about 6 months of riding the MPI I was finally exposed to other skaters and real state-of-the-art wide wooden decks, and got my first real board - a Variflex Lance Mountain with Gullwings and Kryptonics C65s. That thing was plush.
Buddur
Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 04 Aug 2012 Posts: 1095 Location: Western Pennsylvania
We drove from OCMD to Lansdowne skatepark before going to a contest somewhere around Baltimore back in the mid-1980s. When taking a break sitting in the grass I found a 4-leaf clover. I told the guys it was a sign that I was going to take 1st at the contest. And I did.

Page 1 of 1