SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  POOL, PARK, BANKS & PIPES  »  Backyard Bowl
Page 2 of 6    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Backyard Bowl

zeno01
Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:08 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
slob-air wrote:
Live the dream. Go bigger if possible.

This! Rad!

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:18 pm Reply with quote

Progress!
ultraphage
Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Dude looks awesome. Really glad you are living the dream. I know you MUST be sick of others telling you what to do, but I feel like I have to say something (again, sorry).

That looks way too mellow. Make it deeper or give it tighter transitions.
When you first started posting I thought, oh you're probably not comfortable skating bigger stuff, but then you made it sound like you have a lot of bigger bowls to skate around you and that you just wanted something mellow. Which is cool...you should do what you want. But even if you're a ripper who skates much bigger tranny, I don't see how you couldn't get bored with that 3' deep thing. At that depth it's going to be hard to even carve around and bump that hip.
With it being 4' deep though, it opens it up to so much more while still being so totally mellow to still cruise around and hit the hip.

Please still update us with your progress, but if you are going that shallow because you don't think you are very good or are scared, you REALLY should go just a bit deeper and you WILL BE much happier.
Remember you can't change that once it's done.
Good luck buddy!
Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:54 pm Reply with quote
ultraphage wrote:
Dude looks awesome. Really glad you are living the dream. I know you MUST be sick of others telling you what to do, but I feel like I have to say something (again, sorry).

That looks way too mellow. Make it deeper or give it tighter transitions.
When you first started posting I thought, oh you're probably not comfortable skating bigger stuff, but then you made it sound like you have a lot of bigger bowls to skate around you and that you just wanted something mellow. Which is cool...you should do what you want. But even if you're a ripper who skates much bigger tranny, I don't see how you couldn't get bored with that 3' deep thing. At that depth it's going to be hard to even carve around and bump that hip.
With it being 4' deep though, it opens it up to so much more while still being so totally mellow to still cruise around and hit the hip.

Please still update us with your progress, but if you are going that shallow because you don't think you are very good or are scared, you REALLY should go just a bit deeper and you WILL BE much happier.
Remember you can't change that once it's done.
Good luck buddy!

The deep end is 4', shallow is 3'. The transitions you see were roughed in by the excavators and will ultimately be a little quicker than what you're looking at.

That said, the size and mellowness are 100% intentional and based on what I like to ride. Take a look at the bowl I posted the photo of earlier in the thread. That bowl is 2.5' shallow and 3.5' deep with slightly flatter transitions than I'm using. It is also currently my favorite thing to skate. It's not fear based, it's just what I enjoy. I am surrounded by amazing parks. I have a full sized replica of the Bondi Bowl 20 minutes from my front door. I can and do skate vert. This is what I want for my yard. When I stand on the top plates and look in, all I can do is smile.
ultraphage
Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:06 pm Reply with quote
I feel better now 😄😄😄

Take good pics to help those of us who need help with the DIY aspect of bowl building.
You could probably make alittle money if you did it well enough and had it bound up into a book. Just a thought.
theloniousmonk
Posted: Sat May 14, 2016 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for starting this thread, I hope you will add some more photos as you make progress. I think both your friends bowl and yours look really fun, and to fit all of that into a space that size!
Posted: Mon May 16, 2016 3:25 pm Reply with quote
theloniousmonk wrote:
Thanks for starting this thread, I hope you will add some more photos as you make progress. I think both your friends bowl and yours look really fun, and to fit all of that into a space that size!

Thanks. A ton of rain has slowed my progress but I'll update when things get moving again.
theloniousmonk
Posted: Mon May 16, 2016 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Cool, I keep checking. How many cubic yards of concrete do you plan on?
warehouse
Posted: Fri May 27, 2016 8:56 am Reply with quote
I'm sick of pulling weeds and mowing grass. Inspired to work on a plan like this. Keep the photos coming. Question: did you pick the plan view curves based on what coping manufacturers have available? Seems like a good place to start. Has the city , or Neighbours hassled your "inspiration" pool? I worry about how to deal with local regulators. I guess you could always just call it a fish pond
slob-air
Posted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:15 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
Fish pond is the common term go to for getting a building permit.

Page 2 of 6    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next