SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  POOL, PARK, BANKS & PIPES  »  Backyard Bowl
Page 1 of 6    Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Backyard Bowl

Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:32 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
I recently skated a backyard bowl that I loved so much I decided I had to have one. I've had a mini ramp in the yard for a couple of years and love having my own place to skate. The addition of concrete, corners and pool coping can only make it that much better. I've got a guy coming to pick up my ramp soon and then we'll start digging. Now I'm in the planning stage. The idea is to have something that doesn't take up too much space (current ramp is 16'x27'), is mellow enough for casual sessions and learning tricks yet still provides enough challenge for years of skating.

First draft:

slob-air
Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
Live the dream. Go bigger if possible.

Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:06 pm Reply with quote
For me, this is the dream. I have access to lots of big stuff. I like to skate the little bowls.
ultraphage
Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Do 4' & 5' and have a proper waterfall that can be pumped rather than a gradual change in grade. 5 & 1/2 feet deep would be better actually. This way you could stick with 8' or 7' transitions all the way around and have a really mellow bowl that can still be fun and challenging.

I've seen lots of guys who weren't that skilled or new or scared or whatever waste money building ramps that were 3' tall. They are just too small to really pump and are just too flat unless you have a tight tranny in which case it makes it so quick that it's really harder to learn stuff on. And as far as height goes, I'd much rather be 4' off the ground with a tranny that you can easily roll or run down than one that's only 12 inches less, but so tight you hit the flat more often.

Personal taste I guess, but I've never seen anyone have a 3' anything that wasn't almost immediately sorry they hadn't gone higher.

Although I can appreciate that I'm sure there are guys out there that would say the same about bowls in my comfort zone 4 - 6'. So do what you've got to do, but remember that you are talking about concrete and you can't just add an extension.

Oh, make it a swim-skate also. Wife & kids will be stoked and give you something to look forward to come fall.
Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:51 pm Reply with quote
I hear you, but for me the small size is intentional. I am lucky enough to have access to bowls of all sizes. I'm not afraid of bigger bowls, I skate them all the time. The inspiration for this comes from a backyard I ride that is 2.5' and 3.5'. Very similar to my design here but with hips on both sides and a waterfall. I find the waterfall too abrupt. If you whip through one of those corners speed is not an issue.

If this was all I'd get to ride in an area lacking terrain I'd go bigger. This is for me to play on in the yard.
Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Inspiration: this thing is a blast.

warehouse
Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:26 am Reply with quote
That double hip is such a fun looking design. I like the deep, but a mellow little bowl would be fun. I agree with the water fall suggestion.
Collin941
Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:09 pm Reply with quote
At first I was going to say go bigger,but damn that backyarder looks fun!! Perfect to learn new stuff in
warehouse
Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Collin941 wrote:
At first I was going to say go bigger,but damn that backyarder looks fun!! Perfect to learn new stuff in

Especially if there is a deep public park
Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:58 am Reply with quote
Finally made a bit of progress and got top plates made. Utility locators are coming today to clear me to start digging....

Page 1 of 6    Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next