SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  GENERAL DISCUSSION FORUM  »  What do you want from Santa Cruz?
Page 10 of 11    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

What do you want from Santa Cruz?

nick1572
Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:55 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
I for one, would love it they were screened old school and had colors that popped.

Case in point, the Kendall Graphiti.

Left side....color combination good (very appealing)

Right side.....color combination eh (not appealing). I was stoked to hear SC was doing these. Then the photo came out and I just had to pass.

Start banging out some really great hand screened colorways and I'll bet you will see better profits and longer valued customers.

Hal9000
Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Hate to be Debbie Downer but sadly the screened/Made in America train left the station a long time ago. It's too time consuming/thinner profit margins for a company like SC to screen boards. They've already committed to China for production of cheaply made decks.

Too bad the US Government/corporations/businesses signed the deal with the devil years ago. "American Made" will be a distant memory sooner with far greater damage done to America, hell, the World as a whole. Relying on one Country for the Worlds goods will end with that one Country controlling the planet.

In 50 years (or less) everyone associated with the current SC will all have moved on to greener pastures. The company will be lucky to survive, more than likely bought, sold and bought again till it's mothballed.

In the meantime we'll have to settle with soulless heat transfer decks made in sweatshops delivered by cargo ships... all the while we can pretend to like it.

I hate this saying; but it is what it is.
Smittygrind75
Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 28 Jul 2013 Posts: 528 Location: Under the totem pole
^^^ Nah. Too easy to blame the U.S. Govt and corporations. Decks were $50 25 years ago. We should be paying $75-80 per deck now. That would allow for screen printing and US manufacturing. As long as American consumers demand low prices, we'll continue to get what we pay for.
Hal9000
Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:31 am Reply with quote
Yea, I agree it is too easy, but that's the reality of the situation. And we already are paying a premium in relationship to the cost of manufacturing decks from China or Mexico.

Also, the Powell Brigade decks, those were $100 a pop, obviously a bigger royalty check to the rider is built into that cost but those sure as hell weren't screened. As well as all the reissue SC/SMA decks lately - heat transfers being sold north of $80 per deck. Prices geared towards the collector.

I've said it in the past, for the one brand that tried to epitomize the "fuck it" attitude, they truly have "fucked it" in the sense of selling out. It's the pot calling the kettle black.

I know it's easier said than done as far as screened boards being manufactured in the State of California. When it comes to solvent based inks/paints the regulations the AQMD have forced upon print shops starting as far back as the early 90's forced company's to look towards other more feasible options hence, heat transfers skyrocketed in popularity as a "cleaner" manufacturing process. Then China gets involved with their super insanely low wage/salary they pay their slaves. And all of a sudden SC can't compete.

I would gladly pay a premium above and beyond for the "craft" of a screened deck that was made in America. Thankfully, there are plenty of options provided by "smaller" labels/shops.

Sure, I still buy plenty of "transfer" decks because those are the only options for the graphics I want. I'm not happy about it tho. Just my .02¢.
soltic
Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:07 pm Reply with quote
More Grosso, then more cowbell!
wikked
Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:44 pm Reply with quote
After all this, we get another run of Grosso Toyboxes in the same black dip, and a terribly colored Reese's Peanut butter JJ Sungod...

Yuck.

Glad I don't buy these things anymore.
Smittygrind75
Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 28 Jul 2013 Posts: 528 Location: Under the totem pole
Yeah what's up with that ^^^^?

4-5 months ago I saw the "new for 2015" line up of reissued reissues. Its gone stale.
sonicdan
Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:32 am Reply with quote
at least the Grosso toybox makes a good rider!!

what I don't get is something like the Kendall snake or the Roskopp faces - shape pretty close to the OG, but bigger nose and front trucks got pulled back, thus giving it a supershort wheelbase… so it's neither a wallhanger (too many differences to the OG), nor a good rider (unless you drill new holes…)

please, SC, make up your mind between releasing a (wide) DECK TO RIDE (the Grosso toybox, the Grabke with the new Phillips graphic), or a DECK TO HANG (then make it as close to the original deck as possible)…

mixing up both won't work. after all, it's YOU who wants to sell decks, isn't it??

nick1572
Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Hal9000 wrote:
...In the meantime we'll have to settle with soulless heat transfer decks made in sweatshops delivered by cargo ships... all the while we can pretend to like it.

I hate this saying; but it is what it is.

No doubt. I agree.

mrlumpy
Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:09 pm Reply with quote
sonicdan wrote:

please, SC, make up your mind between releasing a (wide) DECK TO RIDE (the Grosso toybox, the Grabke with the new Phillips graphic), or a DECK TO HANG (then make it as close to the original deck as possible)…

Dan speaks the truth. The Grabke and the Grosso are both great reissues (I know, the Grabke is a new graphic, but I'm lumping it in to the discussion to make a point) because the rider came in and re-shaped the deck for a modern ride.

Page 10 of 11    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next