SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  SNOWBOARDS  »  bindings?
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

bindings?

willieleon
Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:23 am Reply with quote
thinking about new bindings/boots for this season. Any thoughts on the switch step ins?
Upland_Yo
Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:25 am Reply with quote
don't do it willie! Step in bindings are on the way out.

but whatever you get, you should hook up with your buddy at edge wireless and get up here. There is tons of snow in town and the mountain is just getting hammered daily.
willieleon
Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:19 pm Reply with quote
really? It's my buddy who recomended the step ins. It appeals to me as each season it get tougher to bend down over my belly to rachett in

The switch looked good, like a hybryd system, simi soft boots (will never ride hard shells, that's one of the reasons I quit sking in 86) with a high back binding to go with the click in.
Upland_Yo
Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 3:40 pm Reply with quote
ya, I would go with something other than the little round (made by shimano) clickers. The all metal construction tends to get clogged up in when the temps are just soooo.

This comes from being an impatient mufucka who can't stand waiting while someone chips the ice off thier binding so they can click in. I have heard of serveral step in bindings that work well but I am stuck on straps.

ukoldschool
Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 6:32 pm Reply with quote
If you dont like bending down try some flows. Theyre good bindings if you get the boots to match (they need a flatter toe profile than most boots give). I dont like them personally, but all my buddies use them, its good to be able to get into them on the way up the lift.

http://www.flow.com
Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 6:38 pm Reply with quote
I went to Utah last week. Rented a board (for the first time ever) felt lame as could be when the rental teen in the shop asked me if I had ever rode before or did I need a lesson. Tried the step ins. I thought they were great at first, of the lift and going in no time at all. But, I had several false starts, had them "unclick" spontaniously one time (just one foot, damm, legs are not supposed to bend like that) and generally wound up not likeing them. Also deceided that I like my old burton asym air better than the shapes in the rental shop. So I think for next season I will get new bindings and boots for the old board, but not the step ins
willieleon
Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 6:46 pm Reply with quote
hey, that was me, I have a name!
willieleon
fromohio
Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:05 pm Reply with quote
if you choose the step ins...definately go with clickers by k2/shimano.

any binding experiences problems of one kind or another at some point. so there is no clear cut winner on the battle between straps and step-ins.

the real winner for the shimano system though is the toe to heel connection points. snowboard turns are made by either the toe edge or the heel edge of the board. so it only makes sense to connect yourself at these points.

I speak from experience...I was a K2 test dummy for several years. I have personally gone back to strap bindings, Burton Customs, to be exact but I still proudly support the K2 product line. A lot of research goes in and, usually, a lot of good products come out of it. I like the strap system because I feel like it just hooks up better. Not to say the clickers dont hook up well, because they do. When I rode them and promoted them for K2, I was living in Snowmass, CO and rode them at damn near every mountain west of the Mississippi and a few over the pond and I never had a failure or a problem. there is a temperature range and humidity level that can cause certain types of snow to stick a little but once you know whats up...you can avoid it all the time.

just choose wisely and dont forget that the boot binding connection and fit will be the most important decision you make about your set-up. any board can work but try spending the day in lousy boots and crappy bindings.

good luck in whatever you choose and by all means....ride K2, they have been pretty good to me!

later

Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:44 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
I ride Burton Missions and some old CFXs and I love them both. Drakes are also excellent - Super Sports, Mikey LeBlancs - simple and durable.

Step ins are totally out, many shops won't sell them anymore, not a single pro rides 'em, and bending down to ratchet in makes you stronger and a better snowboarder.

fromohio
Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:19 pm Reply with quote
yeah..i should add that in case you missed it..I am riding strap in bindings.

those days of clicker riding were 94-98/99. during that time period, every pro was at least trying them and plenty of guys made the switch to step ins, and now have all gone back.

the lazy factor sure is nice but they just dont feel like you are snowboarding if you dont have to strap in. good strap ins and boots will eliminate pain or discomfort as well.

as far as the pipe riding...no comparison between straps and clicks. straps all the way if you are into more than just carving down the mountain! for just cruising the groomers and if you only ride a few times a year...maybe convenience is your deal. go with shimano if you go step in.

[ This Message was edited by: fromohio on 2004-02-24 14:20 ]

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next