SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  SNOWBOARDS  »  Retro Sims board bindings?
Page 1 of 1    

Retro Sims board bindings?

BIGJoe29
Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:23 am Reply with quote
So I have my dad's Sims 1635 Terry Kidwell board from '89(?) and I am down to ride it, but the bindings won't fit modern boots. I'm new to snowboarding so I don't know, but will modern bindings fit on it? Thanks
zeno01
Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:22 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
It's kind of hard to say if modern bindings would work. In 1995-6ish a 4x4 mounting pattern became standard (except for Burton). Previous to that, it was kind of "wild west" and companies used their own mounting patterns. The 4x4 make it easier for gear to be interchangeable.

Now, I'm not exactly sure how old your board is, but you could, maybe re-drill for modern bindings. Some of the way older boards didn't have the pre-sunk inserts (to screw bindings in to). I'm not totally sure what your working with, so it's hard to say.

Post up a picture of what you've got, and anyone else feel free to correct me. I'm just going off of memory. By the time I started riding pre-sunk inserts were normal, but standard mounting patterns were not in play.

Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm on my iphone and cannot figure out how to post pictures. Do I have to upload them on a computer?
oldschool2
Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:40 pm Reply with quote
thats a pretty collectable board, there is no way i would drill it. it should have the old wide 5 bolt ( 1 in the center and 2 on the inner and outer end of the binding ) pattern so the newer 4x4 pattern bindings wont work. you should be able to find a set of the old bindings rather cheap on the ebay
BIGJoe29
Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Cool thanks, I really don't want to drill it haha. Are the bindings you mentioned going to fit modern boots? Cause the original bindings fit super skinny boots and I don't want to buy another pair
oldschool2
Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:29 pm Reply with quote
most bindings from the early 90s bindings should fit modern boots. mids 80s into the early 90s was a time when alot of changes took place in snowboards. they went to being twin tip from the old pointy nose flat tails. bindings got wider to fit a more sturdy style boot. if it was me i would hang my dads old board and grab something newer off craigslist to ride and learn on. you should be able to find something newer on the cheap side. the newer boards are twin tip that you can center the bindings so you can ride switch. the older stuff was more for straight foward riding. plus the new 4x4 bindings rotate so you can really fine tune your stance where as the older binding pattern didnt allow you to fine tune your stance so much.
zeno01
Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:20 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
I agree with oldschool2, your dad's board would probably be pretty rad to ride, but if you aren't up for drillin' it, pick up a cheapie at a pawn shop/CL, etc.

I picked one up at a pawn shop in town for $50. It's kinda out-dated style-wise, but is just fine. It's just not all new/fancy/plastic-bindings,etc.

Good luck, have fun.

Page 1 of 1