SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  HARDCORE PUNK & SKATE ROCK  »  Top 10 Albums of 2013
Page 5 of 6    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Top 10 Albums of 2013

Stranglehold77
Posted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:14 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Joined: 10 Apr 2002 Posts: 5437 Location: Victoria BC CANADA
motorpsycho67 wrote:
Stranglehold77 wrote:
there are thousands of bands out there just killing it.

In the last 15 years, out of the hundreds I've heard, I can count the ones I like on one hand.

Okay, let's hear 'em. TOP 5 (1998-2013)

(I'm not being sarcastic, I am genuinely interested)

Posted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:17 am Reply with quote
Electric Frankenstein
Streetwalkin Cheetahs
The Hellacopters
The Briefs
The Biters

There might be a few more, but that's all I can think of.
Stranglehold77
Posted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 10 Apr 2002 Posts: 5437 Location: Victoria BC CANADA
that's a good list.

Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:57 pm Reply with quote
falconneil wrote:
oh sure, I get a big kick out of checking out old stuff that I missed the first time around too also.

BUT

I never want to be that guy. You know the one I'm talking about. The bitter old punk rocker "things were so much better in my day!" That guy. The one who only ever talks about shit that happened 30 years ago. The one that says that all new stuff sucks ass or sounds like the old stuff, but never gives anything new a chance.

That really struck me a few years ago at a Naked Raygun reunion show in chicago. The crowd sang along with 30 year old misfits songs between sets. But then The Briefs came on and blew the lid off the fucking place. They are one of the best 77 style punk rock bands of the last 20 years. But they were met with complete indifference. It was sickening. Punk rockers were supposed to be open to new stuff, never accepting the status quo. And instead a lot of them are the bitterest old farts, stuck in a rut that's getting deeper all the time. As bad as the deadheads who will only listen to jam bands.

Anyway, that's my take on it. I'm not saying this is any of you guys by any means. I'm just telling you where I'm coming from. And some of the best shows I've ever been to have been in the last decade, and I saw the Clash, the Ramones, The Jam, Joy Division etc numerous times. There's great stuff out there. It's worth finding.

I get whatcha saying Neil.
TONS of people like that
'bloody kids....I was there at the beginning when they were playing to just two people blah blah blah'
Or the old 'they are famous now aka sell outs'

I'll listen to any new stuff that someone points out to me.
Sometimes the stuff isn't always that new but I've never heard em before so it makes em new to me.

I love the stuff imelda May has been doing and Altho she only became popular a few years back, I know she had been putting in the hours for many a year before that, so new to you maybe...

I don't care if music is new, old or whatever....just as long as it isn't some rehashed shitey sampled pile of techomasterbate wank that sounds like a fucking fax line having a spasm!

....but I can skate for Bacon wrapped hotdogs with pulled pork and Glass bottled Dr Pepper!
lilsheeda
Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm in a small vacuum where I don't really go to many shows that I'm not playing, but have played with some younger bands that were good (Kinda make it a point to put them on a bill even after us) - My drummer's son's band Hardship Anchors let's me know youth still like motorcycles, cars and rock and roll.

BUT the problem is the people watching...phones out, recording, videoing, xanax or whatever they're on. Man, it can be the most rockin shit and they stand there dead. I think that's more of a problem.

I sure have the side of me saying, ah man it was better XX years ago - and it probably was because I had a thrill playing and seeing shows, and being all fucked up. Like people are afraid to let loose. At my last two shows and large shows I wanted to run through the gaggle of slackjawed youth in the ahhhh/blaaahhh pose.
hotrod
Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Oh don't even get me fucking started on these cunts recording everything on their fucking phones at gigs

It's like a fucking Nokia/Sony/Apple and HTC convention at certain venues these days with certain bands!

....but I can skate for Bacon wrapped hotdogs with pulled pork and Glass bottled Dr Pepper!
lilsheeda
Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Ah Imelda May made me happy to get attention - at least back to something live and rocking and it waned to the masses. I die seeing 50,000 people in an arena staring at a DJ
Sticks
Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 07 Feb 2003 Posts: 10327 Location: Raytown Travel Agency
lilsheeda wrote:
Ah Imelda May made me happy to get attention - at least back to something live and rocking and it waned to the masses. I die seeing 50,000 people in an arena staring at a DJ

Or their phone screens.

1998-2013:

Exploding Hearts - "Guitar Romantic"

Way, way, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyy below that:

Biters - S/T
Beltones - "Naming My Bullets"
Neutral Milk Hotel - "In the Aeroplane Over the Sea"
Magnetic Fields - "69 Love Songs"
lilsheeda
Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:15 am Reply with quote
Exploding hearts can be on that list for sure.

I checked out the Neutral Milk Hotel and the dudes other stuff - kinda out there, then you start listening for things and captures something...

OK, for the perfect punky cookie cutter songy song melodic, I liked:
The Methadones / Not economically viable

Another good album from a punk gone americana- songwriting 101 cross genres:
Pete Krebs and the Gossamar Wings / I know it by heart
the other one is good too.
hotrod
Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:03 am Reply with quote
I'm still getting a big kick every time I hear a new release by The Hives
They have not only evolved but developed themselves as a proper multi talented group to me who can STILL release a 2 minute single which 'turns heads (or ears tbh)'

Page 5 of 6    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next