SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  HARDCORE PUNK & SKATE ROCK  »  Top 10 Albums of 2013
Page 4 of 6    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Top 10 Albums of 2013

bforty
Posted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:12 pm Reply with quote
lilsheeda wrote:
Funny, I just found one that I can appreciate, completely biased as he's an old friend/bandmate - King Dude. Not really a Satanist/Occultist myself, but he's always been super creative and a really good guy.

Good one. One of the only newer musics I really like (most other stuff is just "not bad" or "pretty good" at best). I can hear the Death In June comparisons, but I think he's got enough of his own thing going on. He seems to be more popular in Europe, not sure why he's not bigger here.
falconneil
Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:08 am Reply with quote
Joined: 03 Feb 2002 Posts: 4420 Location: Chicago, IL originally from Liverpool, England
dude, some of the older guys on here need to try harder. I'm 51 and I can find great new bands. So can you! It just takes some effort. Look at stuff on iTunes on Amazon and then follow the links that others have bought etc. Here's some stuff that I've been digging over the last year:

Giuda-Racy Roller (early 70s style glam/punk from Rome)
Bonsai Kitten-Welcome to My World (german psychobilly w/ female singer)
The Creepshow-Life After Death (canadian psycho)
The Spastic Hearts-S/T (punk rock)
Biters-All Chewed Up (punk rock and roll)
The Darkness -Hot Cakes (classic)
Direct Hit-Brainless God (punk rock)
Masked Intruder-Masked Intruder (ramones-esque)
Pennywise-All or Nothing
The Skints -Live Breathe (ska/reggae)
The New Rochelles-It's New (ramones)
Night Birds

Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:46 am Reply with quote
The Biters are good.

What I don't get is, why the big fuss over new music? What's wrong with old stuff? Plenty of it out there still to be discovered.

I have a good friend, in his mid 50s, that listens to newer stuff. The stuff he tries to turn me onto just ain't my cup of tea. The only exception I can think of is Don Bolles new band (can't remember the name) and my friend Janet's band (People Talk.... I think). I don't think either of those bands have recorded anything though.

All the bands that came out in the 2000s that I like have all broken up. The Streetwalkin Cheetahs are supposedly getting back together. Remains to be seen though...
bforty
Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:47 pm Reply with quote
motorpsycho67 wrote:
What I don't get is, why the big fuss over new music? What's wrong with old stuff? Plenty of it out there still to be discovered.

And it doesn't have to be one or the other. At this point, for me, I get a much bigger kick out of discovering old stuff that is either lesser known or I never got around to.

I think it's cool that the big labels are all but gone nowadays and that anyone can put out music with the technology we have. However, that is a big reason a lot of it sucks.

Also, the further we go the more difficult it becomes to sound unique. A lot of new stuff sounds good, but then you starting thinking "Why would I listen to that when I could just listen to the original? More so, the original that I never got around to listening to."

motorpsycho67 wrote:
I have a good friend, in his mid 50s, that listens to newer stuff. The stuff he tries to turn me onto just ain't my cup of tea. The only exception I can think of is Don Bolles new band (can't remember the name)

Does it still count as new if it's new stuff from an old so-and-so? Sometimes I do that and I'm proud of myself for listening to new music, when really it's from a band or artist that's been around for decades.

I don't really care one way or another about new or old, but lists and posts like this are sometimes a way to find or remember to check out new/stuff you haven't checked out yet.
Stranglehold77
Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:44 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Joined: 10 Apr 2002 Posts: 5437 Location: Victoria BC CANADA
1. Mind Spiders - Inhumanistic
2. Night Birds - Born To Die In Suburbia
3. Radioactivity - s/t
4. Big Eyes - Almost Famous
5. Sick Secrets - s/t
6. Low Culture - Screens
7. Steve Adamyk BAND - Third
8. Espectrostatic - s/t
9. Superchunk - I Hate Music
10. Sebadoh - Defend Yourself

Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:12 am Reply with quote
bforty wrote:
"Why would I listen to that when I could just listen to the original?

Exactly
falconneil
Posted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 03 Feb 2002 Posts: 4420 Location: Chicago, IL originally from Liverpool, England
oh sure, I get a big kick out of checking out old stuff that I missed the first time around too also.

BUT

I never want to be that guy. You know the one I'm talking about. The bitter old punk rocker "things were so much better in my day!" That guy. The one who only ever talks about shit that happened 30 years ago. The one that says that all new stuff sucks ass or sounds like the old stuff, but never gives anything new a chance.

That really struck me a few years ago at a Naked Raygun reunion show in chicago. The crowd sang along with 30 year old misfits songs between sets. But then The Briefs came on and blew the lid off the fucking place. They are one of the best 77 style punk rock bands of the last 20 years. But they were met with complete indifference. It was sickening. Punk rockers were supposed to be open to new stuff, never accepting the status quo. And instead a lot of them are the bitterest old farts, stuck in a rut that's getting deeper all the time. As bad as the deadheads who will only listen to jam bands.

Anyway, that's my take on it. I'm not saying this is any of you guys by any means. I'm just telling you where I'm coming from. And some of the best shows I've ever been to have been in the last decade, and I saw the Clash, the Ramones, The Jam, Joy Division etc numerous times. There's great stuff out there. It's worth finding.

Posted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:48 pm Reply with quote
The Briefs were great. "I'm poor and I'm weird baby, you got no time for me...."

Every once in a blue moon, something new will come along that ain't half bad. But, I still prefer the old stuff. I love digging up old stuff I've never heard...

I don't care when something was recorded. If it's new to me and I like it, that's all that matters. Just haven't heard much in the last 10-12 years that sounded good to me. Hell, there's a lot of old stuff I don't listen to anymore. Got tired of 80s h/c punk a long time ago.
Stranglehold77
Posted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:54 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Joined: 10 Apr 2002 Posts: 5437 Location: Victoria BC CANADA
In the last couple of years I've been turned on to so many current bands that already climbing my all time favorites list.

By all means listen to what makes you happy, just don't write off new music entirely because there are thousands of bands out there just killing it.

Posted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Stranglehold77 wrote:
there are thousands of bands out there just killing it.

In the last 15 years, out of the hundreds I've heard, I can count the ones I like on one hand.

Page 4 of 6    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next