SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  SHIPPING  »  USPS Flat rate
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

USPS Flat rate

Cyrk
Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:12 am Reply with quote
It seem I have never had an issue before taping 2 of these med flat rate boxes together. Now they are telling me I need to pay for both Flat rate boxes?

Before the told me that when it did this that it just is charged as a regular box based one weight and size.

Does anyone know if I can just cover them up with Brown craft paper and ship that way? Or will they still know?

Thanks for any help, need to ship these decks out.
Dave

I want your Hosoi Hammerheads!
zowenso
Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:17 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Wow, crazy you posted this. I shipped a deck today and expected to get hassled because I taped two boxes together. After I knew everything cool, I asked what was up. As long as its not flat rate boxes you are good. They have to be plain priority boxes. But yeah, just wrap that box up and use regular priority boxes next time.

Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I just wrap em up with that brown paper bag roll like a present....

FS Monty Nolder Totem First Run
HANDPLANTWILLY
Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 30 Jan 2006 Posts: 4002 Location: Tongue Punching Your Mom's Fart Box
You cant do flat rates

Use USPS box number 1095 and order them from usps web site.

Their free and two will work for shipping a deck!

Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:44 pm Reply with quote
I just got a NOS grail material 70s complete in two taped together priority mail boxes. Deck was put in double deck bags and then this 2 mm crap. Totally mashed. Luckily the deck seems to have made it fine but that's mere luck. No insurance would cover it had there been any. People who make up for the cheap ass none protective boxes by wrapping decks in at least four inches of bubble wrap before putting them in the box is ok in my book but it hardly makes up for the free box to spend that much bubble wrap. They are simply not made to cover for skateboards or anything larger/heavier than what fits inside the original box dimensions. Sender far from a noob and will remain anonymous. I'm not getting nearly as many packages as some members here but have gotten enough of these and won't need any more to be convinced that they are not ok for international shipping regardless what some people say. Please spend a few bucks on $100+ boards and get real boxes.

Last edited by jchan on Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Clownbaby
Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:14 pm Reply with quote
so you're blaming the damage on the type of box used, and not the way it was used? uh, okay
cujo613
Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 05 Oct 2003 Posts: 11215 Location: Santa Cruz California
jchan wrote:
I just got a NOS grail material 70s complete in two taped together priority mail boxes. Deck was put in double deck bags and then this 2 mm crap. Totally mashed. Luckily the deck seems to have made it fine but that's mere luck. No insurance would cover it had there been any. People who make up for the cheap ass none protective boxes by wrapping decks in at least four inches of bubble wrap before putting them in the box is ok in my book but it hardly makes up for the free box to spend that much bubble wrap. They are simply not made to cover for skateboards or anything larger/heavier than what fits inside the original box dimensions. Sender far from a noob and will remain anonymous. I'm not getting nearly as many packages as some members here but have gotten enough of these and won't need any more to be convinced that they are not ok for international shipping regardless what some people say. Please spend a few bucks on $100+ boards and get real boxes.

so where does one get a skateboard box? Ive looked there are none sold in a normal store that sell boxes unless you want to order about 50 and have them on hand which most dont.
so the best thing out there are the postal boxes but I usually snatch those boxes and ship em ups. They dont care i get better tracking so all is good
Lincolnz
Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Kirby just blacked out the 'flat rate' on the ones he used for my deck he sent.

Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Technically, you can't alter or use the flat rate boxes for non-flat rate at all. Some postal workers care, some don't.

An easy solution, is just to use the regular Priority boxes, doubling up these is totally fine
jchan
Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:13 am Reply with quote
cujo613 wrote:
so where does one get a skateboard box?

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S...-Corrugated-Boxes

20 of them cost you $2 each which should be fine when shipping any board and they ship folded and will take up about as much space as 1 complete setup.

Clownbaby wrote:
so you're blaming the damage on the type of box used, and not the way it was used? uh, okay

I'm blaming it on the box. The seller could have somewhat compensated the lack of protection from the box with lot's of bubble wrap but the box would be equally crappy regardless. Plus the extra bubble wrap would probably cost him about as much as he saved by using the free box so it would make no sense. I've received enough shipments over the years including these to be convinced that with enough bubble wrap they're ok provided nothing major happens to the parcel during international shipping and 10 or so different sorting stations, but so is only paper wrap or only bubble wrap or with enough luck nothing but a shipping label stuck directly to the item. If something happens - this might effect 1 of every 10 or 100 or 1000 decks shipped but this is what the corrugated box is for - it will get squashed and you will have to rely purely on luck. I will at least assume anyone shipping a $100, $500 or a $1000 deck in a free box will take the full responsibility should anything happen during shipping (assuming all decks were financially/replaceable which is not true). Either way I think it's disrespectful to the deal and to the buyer to ship something poorly including but not limited to saving a buck or two on a free box.

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next