SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  HARDCORE PUNK & SKATE ROCK  »  RIOT .303
Page 1 of 1    

RIOT .303

Deuce
Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 4:25 am Reply with quote
Joined: 14 Nov 2003 Posts: 137 Location: saskatoon, SK, canada
I found a mint copy of the "crowd control EP" with a picture sleeve in a used record bin for cheap. I know these guys were from Calgary, and that this record was on one of those "killed by death" comps, but I can't find any other info...was there any other releases? how rare is this record? Did some of these guys play in Beyond Possession? If you know anything please let me know.
slob-air
Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
That E.P. was Riot .303's only release -very, very rare. Fortunately I have a couple locked away (burnt one to mp3 to listen to).

The song "Drugs" is also featured on a new Killed By Death compilation which is the pre-eminent collector series in the punk world.

About six years ago (1997), in the punk bible Maximum Rock And Roll, there was a column written listing the greatest demo tapes released by punk bands in the last twenty years. What tape topped the list? Riot 303's 1982 demo - which the column's author stated should be tracked down at all cost.

MRR magazine called RIOT 303 "the last bastion of punk rock" when it reviewed the Crowd Control ep.

Today it is not uncommon for this ep to sell for $150 in Europe and Japan and in fact most people selling this record do so through an auction to the highest bidder. Former Dead Kennedy singer Jello Biafra contacted Al Charlton and offered $100 for a copy. I saw one go on eBay for a couple hundred.

Riot .303 also has several songs on the Thrasher Skaterock tapes.

The only member from Riot .303 that went on to become a member of Beyond Possession (made up mostly of my old band, then called Wrecking Crew) was the singer, Rocdkin' Ron Hadley.

I see the bass players kid shredding at the park all the time -TNT clone.
Deuce
Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Thanks,for the info. I always liked Beyond Possession and I bought the Riot .303 record because I thought they might be related(it says Calgary on the sleeve)and I thought I recalled them from a Skate Rock comp, too. Great record, and what a good score; I paid 3 bucks for it!
Deuce
Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:03 pm Reply with quote
..oh and by the way, do you have a copy of the demo tape?
slob-air
Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 1:39 am Reply with quote
$3?!! Holy shit! What a deal.

I have the Riot .303 EP, a demo tape and a live board tape here somewhere.

Beyond Possession released a 2 disc reprise of their career a couple years ago -I have a cuple of those around.
S.Milo
Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Wicked score indeed!! I have the record but no sleeve unfortunately.

Never saw that MRR demo list. Will have to find that now. Blows me away that Riot.303 topped the list.

Slob man, I really need that riot.303 demo...are you up for a trade?

My suggestion would be for (Toronto's) Young Lions demos. They released 3 tapes while they were a true and great and unheralded punk band. Their Lp was recorded posthumously by then jaded and "grown" members and carries but a few glimpses into their earlier greatness.

When hardcore hit Toronto everyone made and sold cassettes locally with Young Lions and Youth Youth Youth leading the way. Brian (yyy vocs) produced and they were sold on his ARG ROCK "label" but never any vinyl here or those early demos would be as sought after as...(insert legendary punk record here)...Chronic Submission, Direct Action, Microedge were skaters surprisingly enough...too much more to tell here - just let me know if you might be into dealing west for east.

Any unreleased Personality Crisis floating around in the ether out there?

I have a drunken post gig Beyond Posession interview tape somewhere that never made it to print.

Gotta run.

slob-air
Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 11:22 am Reply with quote
Check your PMs, brotha.
S.Milo
Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Same

You rock.

rorshok
Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Those guys were really great skaterock..

Murder the prime minister
Skate Punx
Depression Session
Nightmares of another kind

I look for those songs from time to time (along with Skaters Life from Beyond Posession)on certain fileshare sites, but always come up empty handed. Oh well, probably gods sick way of telling me, I should actually pay the band for those songs :smile:

[ This Message was edited by: rorshok on 2003-12-22 19:27 ]
slob-air
Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Indeed, rorshok.

Check your PMs, bro (you too s.milo).

Page 1 of 1