SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  POOL, PARK, BANKS & PIPES  »  New guy looking for wheel advice for concrete skatepark
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

New guy looking for wheel advice for concrete skatepark

dabird
Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Hey guys, 37 year old dad here. I just got back into skating after 18 years. My 8 year old son and 10 year old daughter are getting into it so I went out and picked up a board for myself and we've been hitting the local parks. I almost forgot how much fun skating is. I ended up getting the Tom Knox everslick re issue with indy trucks and OJII Street Razors 58mm 95a. This is really close to what I would have ridden back in the late 80's early 90's and I love it on the street but I took it to the Louisville Skatepark and the wheels just seemed to eat up all my speed. I never really rode any concrete parks my first time around. I mostly street and mini ramps. I don't think I ever had a set of wheels harder than 95a so I'm wondering what wheels would be good for the park surface. I see a lot of folks recommend Rainskates but which ones do you think would be best? 98A, 101a, double conical, single conical. I'm sort of lost when it comes to making those choices. Any other wheels that you guys would recommend?

Here is a photo of my board and a picture of me with my kids. My skills are very slowly coming back but the cool thing is my kids don't really know what's hard and what isn't so in their minds I'm a regular Lance Mountain.

zeno01
Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:00 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
http://skullandbonesskateboards.com/f...30780&start=0

Here's 9 pages of fun. Good luck, I ride Bones SPF's in parks. Welcome back, don't get hurt, brudda.

Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Your setup looks pretty ok,...perhaps focus on the groms decks.....they look a bit large for them.

You suck at photography B.T.W.
8ftbed
Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:35 pm Reply with quote
ba dum, dump!

No wheel input. Just props for getting back on the wood and hanging with the kids. sweeT!

Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Titletownjeff wrote:
Your setup looks pretty ok,...perhaps focus on the groms decks.....they look a bit large for them.

You suck at photography B.T.W.

My wife and her Iphone are available to shoot weddings and bar mitzvahs just PM me for info

as far as the kids boards go, my step daughters deck was a gift from her dad and my sons board was was traded to me for a couple of my bands shirts while we were on tour out west. They are too big but new boards aren't really in the cards for them right now. It's funny though because the boards they have are so much smaller than what I'm sure a lot of us started out riding at around the same age.
kirb-slider
Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:59 pm Reply with quote
8ftbed wrote:
ba dum, dump!

No wheel input. Just props for getting back on the wood and hanging with the kids. sweeT!

Not surprised you'd want to hang with the kids...

Especially after your wanting to fuck anything from 8-80 comment.

Hahah.

~nostalgia is the wave of the future~
wavelord
Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:11 pm Reply with quote
for cement bowls, definately get harder wheels, if you want speed. Softer whells give you less speed but more grip. I like type-s, there new legend stuff is coming out now. I've been skating at least once a week, usually with my kids. It is pure pleasure.

any board from VB pro's.
PlayGod
Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Learn how to ride and be happy with whatever you got. The worst thing you can do when learning how to ride again is to keep switching setups thinking it's an equipment issue. It's not. Don't blow hundred$ of dollah$ on the ultimate setup, the setup that matters is between your ears and in your scrotum.

Every revolution of whatever wheels you currently possess will bring your closer to your goal.
PlayGod
Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Oh, and GOOD ON YOU for stoking out your kids. My kids still regard me as legend for taking them on epic skate trips to Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Louisville, Nashville, FL, , NC, Skatopia, etc. etc.

I started skating again at 38 because my kids were into it and I was more into teaching them how to skate than how to play soccer. Maybe that's why they ended up being a killer musician and a brilliant artist, and not boring ass offspring.
dabird
Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:36 pm Reply with quote
PlayGod wrote:
Learn how to ride and be happy with whatever you got. The worst thing you can do when learning how to ride again is to keep switching setups thinking it's an equipment issue. It's not. Don't blow hundred$ of dollah$ on the ultimate setup, the setup that matters is between your ears and in your scrotum.

Every revolution of whatever wheels you currently possess will bring your closer to your goal.
Trust me, I don't plan on dropping a lot of cash on a ton of gear. I'm pretty happy with my setup but when I rode at the park I could almost immediately tell my wheels were too soft. One set of wheels for the street and one set for the skatepark and I should be good. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

Skating with the kids has been awesome. It's really nice to have an activity that we all enjoy. Sitting around and watching them play on a playground was fine but it's so much more rad for all of us to play on the playground, Know what i mean? Both the kids are having a blast I just need to get my stepdaughter to understand that falling is nothing to be embarrassed about.

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next