SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  SKARFING MATERIAL  »  Soughdough Rye Bread
Page 1 of 1    

Soughdough Rye Bread

steve-g
Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:00 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
My first post here in some time. I had a very hectic few months around May-June as the submission date for my thesis drew near and then, once submitted, I decided to have a nice long break. So during July and August I stayed away from the computer almost totally – checking emails once per week. I also went to France which is always nice. So a wonderful two months were had doing things like walking to the shop to buy a newspaper, writing with a pen on paper, bombing the local hills, riding my bike, darkroom printing, digging the vegetable plot and experimenting with bread. Alas, work has started again and I’m back in front of this damn computer. So I thought I’d at least share this recipe for rye bread that I experimented with during the lazy summer months and which I now make a few times each week:

100% sourdough rye bread

Ingredients

Light rye flour (type 997) – in the US: “White Rye Flour
Water (filter it)
Salt (avoid anti-caking agents: sodium aluminosilicate & potassium ferrocyanide) we use Maldon salt.

What this bread lacks that supermarket bread has:

Enzyme-based "improvers"
Sugar
Vinegar (acetic acid)
Hydrogenated fats
Fractionated fats
Mono and Di-glyceride fatty acids
L-ascorbic acid
Bleach
L-cysteine hydrochloride
Sodium stearoyl lactate
Calcium propionate
Potassium iodate

I’ll say right now that I think all bread sold in supermarkets is shite – a sort of non-food with no taste designed to be a carrier vessel for other flavours. Mass produced lager is much the same as it also has no taste and uses ‘coldness’ as a foil to mask its essential blandness. But back to this rye recipe:

Firstly, you need to get your levain starter in rude health. Your starter is totally essential to the quality of your bread. Before commercial yeast was invented all risen bread was based around a levain and communities took great care to preserve theirs. For if it should die then flat bread was all that could be baked.

Feed daily until it’s nice and bubbly:

Now take two tablespoons of this mixture and stir it into a bowl containing one cup of rye flour and once cup of (filtered) water. Leave this mixture somewhere warm overnight and then it should look like this:

Now stir 240 grams of boiling water into 60 grams of rye flour and one teaspoon of salt. This is an innovation discovered by a Swedish baker called Jan Hedh and it adds some elasticity to the bread. You need to stir fast to stop the mixture getting lumpy, it’ll look a little like porridge. Let it cool for at least one hour and it’ll become a jelly-like goop:

Now take your bowl of sourdough starter, your bowl of rye goop and 50 grams of cold water and stir the lot together. Let it rest for half an hour:

Now mix into this mix 300 grams of rye flour. Use a spatula as it’s very sticky with a wet cement-like feel. Let it rest for half an hour – no more as the bits on the side of the bowl will harden and it’ll be a chore to remove them:

Put this lot into a greased form; wet the palm of your hand to push the mixture down without it sticking to you. Cover in Cling film and place somewhere warm for around 5 hours. It’ll grow just a little. Mine comes up to the top of the form and I think that’s about a 25% growth. This bread will not expand like a wheat bread. Depending upon where you live, the growth may be quicker or slower – if you run out of time, put it in the fridge to retard and let it grow the next day.

Turn the oven on to 210C and when hot enough, bake for 70 minutes. I brush a little milk on the top of mine to make it nice and shiny. When it comes out drip some water onto it and wrap it tightly in a cloth. Let it rest like this until the next day. Resist the urge to cut into it early – it will just break up – it needs to be rested. And that’s it:

Next up Pizza, I’ll write about that later as I’ve got no photos of the process currently. I also want to say some things about tea, that’ll come soon.

Hope you are all well, Steve.
Coco
Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:35 am Reply with quote
Awesome. I want to start making my own bread. We do our own pizza dough now.

Add some caraway seeds to the sour rye. a local bakery does that here and it is pretty good.

NOS Madrid Mike Smith gorilla
lilsheeda
Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:24 pm Reply with quote
I learned an old bread trick from a Great Grandma -

Clean potatoes and boil them off. Let the water cool and use that in your bread instead of regular ol' water...she did all sorts of shit with her breads...a total old school German/Russian baker/cook who actually bought whole rye during harvest for her bread.

I also have her recipe she had for beer bread - I suck at the yeast part...not as fluffy as I remember hers, but still great- funny part is it evolved to include Grape Nuts. Let me know and I'll shoot it over to you.
loop
Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:54 pm Reply with quote
I wondered what had happened to you. Sounds like you had a great time (and the bread looks pretty good, too).

Welcome back.
MMS
Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 03 Jul 2003 Posts: 15097 Location: Heaven or Hell...kinda hard to tell.
I'm REAL interested in Pizza dough recipes. Post em up! I wanna try grilling pizza.

Bread looks AWESOME btw.

Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:10 pm Reply with quote
lilsheeda wrote:
Clean potatoes and boil them off. Let the water cool and use that in your bread instead of regular ol' water...she did all sorts of shit with her breads...a total old school German/Russian.

I'll try this!

And I'll love the beer bread recipe, cheers.
brewharriah
Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 27 Oct 2008 Posts: 14880 Location: fuckmylife, warshington
MMS wrote:
I'm REAL interested in Pizza dough recipes. Post em up! I wanna try grilling pizza.

Bread looks AWESOME btw.

gotta get me a pizza stone... no mo oven!

Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:00 pm Reply with quote
I'll grab the beer bread recipe for sure...

The homemade pizza dough and grilled pizza is a fave. I've got a recipe for that too, but I've since gone to cheating with Trader Joe's fresh dough. It's a total skill to throw the dough, with many failed attempts along the way.

The pizza stone is a good tool, but I seem to get better crusts (Crunchier to me) on just a good old round baking tin. The bbq is fun for sure...

Page 1 of 1